Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

So, we still due a Saturday sub?

Thought London Grammar was the sub for Saturday? 

So Saturday looks something like this now; Halsey - London Grammar - Bastille - Parov Stelar (which looks kinda odd in that order with all those pop acts :P )

43 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Thought London Grammar was the sub for Saturday? 

So Saturday looks something like this now; Halsey - London Grammar - Bastille - Parov Stelar (which looks kinda odd in that order with all those pop acts :P )

That's friday ;) 

Saturday looks like: At the Drive In - Mumford - Flume. I hope we'll get something in between ATDI and Mumford

10 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

That's friday ;) 

Saturday looks like: At the Drive In - Mumford - Flume. I hope we'll get something in between ATDI and Mumford

Woops, sorry. 

Rise Against / At The Drive-In - Mumford & Sons - Flume

Marquee: Rise Against / A The Drive-In (or both in Marquee and we still get a sub).

1 hour ago, arcuse said:

Woops, sorry. 

Rise Against / At The Drive-In - Mumford & Sons - Flume

Marquee: Rise Against / A The Drive-In (or both in Marquee and we still get a sub).

Foals would be my choice for that sub-spot. They only have a gig in Portugal on the 16th of August. There's no harm in hoping ... 

Hello all,

After too many years in succession of going to UK fests that coincide with a monsoon, me and the missus have decided the go for a european festival. Due my specific dance genre tastes (i.e I have a very slim musical spectrum) I've managed to narrow it down to 2 festivals. Colours of Ostrava in The Czech republic and Pukkelpop. I was hoping you seasoned PKP goers could lend me some of your wisdom to help me decide.

Being in my mid 30's (perhaps going on 50) I'm quite set in my ways of what I like and don't like. As you all know it takes more than lineup to define how good a festival is. As such the things Ithat would help me come to a decison would be

• Whats the crowd like? i.e. Is there any trouble, will people happily mix, are there lots of folk throwing up, pissing everywhere, are we likely to be robbed
  • Are the toilets decent/plentiful
  • Is there anything else going on besides the music if we wanted to chill out/have a change of scenery
  • Is the setting good/scenic
  • How much can we bank on good/dry weather
  • Is the site well laid out. i.e. will there be much time spent 'commuting' between stages/arenas and is overcrowding in tents/stages ever an issue
  • Is it expensive for food/drink etc.

To give you an idea of what I've liked in the UK fest-wise. My favourites have been: Beatherder, Festival No.6 and Bestival a few years ago before they cut back on toilet facilities and the soundsystem. I've been to Glastonbury once and didn't like it that much. I found the crowd a bit pretentious (which may sound slightly hypocritical given all the demands I've listed!) and just too much of a behemoth. 

For those that can be bothered to answer (As I know I'm asking a lot), at present Ostrava Festival is winning. This is as its in a very cool setting - in a former coal works. There are lots of other stages for things besides music. Its cheap for a ticket & for food and drink inside. And as I'm a bit of a liberal hippy; it was a plus that its been recommended by the guardian!

I am however really hoping someone can sell PKP to me. From where I live, it would be relatively quick and easy to drive over, plus the lineup is a fair bit better the Colours of Ostrava. 

Any guidance/help/advice would be most welcome

CHeers

22 minutes ago, Disco_Fudge said:

Whats the crowd like? i.e. Is there any trouble, will people happily mix, are there lots of folk throwing up, pissing everywhere, are we likely to be robbed

Young, average age is probably around 18/20 years old or so. There are a lot of young people there though everyone is always friendly and nice (sometimes a bit crazy but could be of the beer). Never witnessed someone actually pissing on the festival grounds or the camping but I'm sure it happens (probs like everywhere), same thing about the throwing up. It probably happens but never seen it. I don't think robbery happens a lot there, but I just secure my tent always with a lock, just to be sure, you never know. Again, never known anyone here getting robbed or so.

Are the toilets decent/plentiful

From my experiences, yes.

Is there anything else going on besides the music if we wanted to chill out/have a change of scenery

Yes. On the festival ground itself there's a lot to do and discover. You got varies food trucks (called Food Wood) and you got varies things working around green energy (called Baraque Futur). Since 2015 they served there their own beer there, tasted nice :P (idk if the beer was still there last year.) Then you've 2 smaller stages called Lift and Booth where really small bands and DJs come and play. Last thing, the centre of Hasselt is very close which you can visit aswell.

Is the setting good/scenic

Tbh Ive always described it as a mini-Coachella, they always let those strings with balloons on of and let them hang all over the field (which they also do at Coachella). I think it's a very nice setting and never feels very crowded (the opening day, Wednesday, can feel a little but idk that'd be me).

Is the site well laid out. i.e. will there be much time spent 'commuting' between stages/arenas and is overcrowding in tents/stages ever an issue

I think if you wanna go to the stages that are most far apart of each other, let's say Mainstage and Dancehall, I think it's about 15/20mins walking. If you come 15"/30" before a performance, you'll be in front in the tents, for sure. Mainstage, Dancehall and Marquee are a bit harder (bc of their bigger capacity). 

Is it expensive for food/drink etc.

If you're coming from abroad I'd advice you to go buy food/drinks in Hasselt, that's always cheaper as on the festival itself. Food/drinkvouchers cost 2,50 euro each, so a beer or a lil snack is 2,5. Frites, pizza and other food is 5/7,5. I think it's comparable to other festivals. 

Edited by arcuse

1 hour ago, Disco_Fudge said:

plus the lineup is a fair bit better the Colours of Ostrava.

That's an understatement and a half :) Unless you're a huge fan of what I assume is a lot of Czech music.

Here's the line up last year: http:///s/colours16/ I know about 3/4 bands per day - whereas its more like 30 a day I know at Pukkelpop.

I do love a good unknown bands festival, but I considered Colours and decided it was a step too far into the unknown.

3 minutes ago, Disco_Fudge said:

Thanks for the reply, all sounds good. Just a bit wary on the age range. Don't want to feel like the Granpa at the festival. Will have to weigh this up

Try Primavera - that's a much older crowd than a typical UK festival, and it's mostly after dark, so you can pretend you're 21 and no-one will know.

2 minutes ago, bluenova said:

Try Primavera - that's a much older crowd than a typical UK festival, and it's mostly after dark, so you can pretend you're 21 and no-one will know.

Thanks, but I was half hoping that someone else would pipe up with "thats nonsense, there are loads of older ravers there!"

Edited by Disco_Fudge
spelling

I've not been, but I'm cough 46 on Monday. It does look slightly younger from the pics, but just take some shades and people will think you're in the bands. All the European festivals I've been to have been very relaxed - once you get used to just how many people smoke!

Anyway - I'm still younger than Ritchie Hawtin and half the people who'll be on the stage :) 

20 minutes ago, Disco_Fudge said:

Thanks for the reply, all sounds good. Just a bit wary on the age range. Don't want to feel like the Granpa at the festival. Will have to weigh this up

Honestly no one gives a shit how old you are there, everyone is there to have the best time. In Petit Bazaar (forgot to mention that) they have little caravans set up where they do activities with everyone. I think it's a karaoke, a foam-party, dance-together etc. The majority is around that age but Im sure there are going a lot of 40+ to the festivals aswell, don't worry about it.

10 minutes ago, Semprini said:

In short though, 'that's nonsense, there are loads of older ravers there and I'm one of them!' ;)

Basically this :P 

1 hour ago, Disco_Fudge said:

Hello all,

After too many years in succession of going to UK fests that coincide with a monsoon, me and the missus have decided the go for a european festival. Due my specific dance genre tastes (i.e I have a very slim musical spectrum) I've managed to narrow it down to 2 festivals. Colours of Ostrava in The Czech republic and Pukkelpop. I was hoping you seasoned PKP goers could lend me some of your wisdom to help me decide.

Being in my mid 30's (perhaps going on 50) I'm quite set in my ways of what I like and don't like. As you all know it takes more than lineup to define how good a festival is. As such the things Ithat would help me come to a decison would be

• Whats the crowd like? i.e. Is there any trouble, will people happily mix, are there lots of folk throwing up, pissing everywhere, are we likely to be robbed
  • Is there anything else going on besides the music if we wanted to chill out/have a change of scenery
  • Is the site well laid out. i.e. will there be much time spent 'commuting' between stages/arenas and is overcrowding in tents/stages ever an issue

To give you an idea of what I've liked in the UK fest-wise. My favourites have been: Beatherder, Festival No.6 and Bestival a few years ago before they cut back on toilet facilities and the soundsystem. I've been to Glastonbury once and didn't like it that much. I found the crowd a bit pretentious (which may sound slightly hypocritical given all the demands I've listed!) and just too much of a behemoth. 

For those that can be bothered to answer (As I know I'm asking a lot), at present Ostrava Festival is winning. This is as its in a very cool setting - in a former coal works. There are lots of other stages for things besides music. Its cheap for a ticket & for food and drink inside. And as I'm a bit of a liberal hippy; it was a plus that its been recommended by the guardian!

I am however really hoping someone can sell PKP to me. From where I live, it would be relatively quick and easy to drive over, plus the lineup is a fair bit better the Colours of Ostrava. 

Any guidance/help/advice would be most welcome

CHeers

This'll be my 7th time at Pukkelpop out of the last 9 editions, I'm now 40. The average age is fairly young but you won't feel out of place and there are plenty of older people who go. The Belgians are very friendly and is nothing like a UK crowd - probably the primary reason I go. Never seen one bit of trouble in all the time I've been there. They really are great people. You won't get robbed.

Yes - No problems here for both guys and gals

Yes, not a massive amount but there's the Petit Bazaar which is full of weird and wonderful stuff. There's 10 stages so there's always something on. You can always a few drinks in Hasselt which is a really nice town - we tend to have lunch and a few beers in Hasselt before making our way up to the festival (we stay in a hotel in Hasselt)

Plenty of grass and plenty of sand oddly last year. Its not exactly scenic, its a field at the side of a road but its flat and does the job perfectly. Access to and from the site is easy.

Can be scorching, can be rainy on occasions. Mainly good weather though. I wouldn't let the weather put you off.

Very well laid out, half of the site is for dance music, the other half is for stages. Not many bottlenecks and you will get a good spot at most of the sets.

Yes, but there are alternatives. the street outside the entrance  is full of houses and the residents open their driveways up as food stalls and has plenty of places to eat and drink at a vasty reduced price. Easy to nip in and out of the site.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to come to Pukkelpop. It really is a fantastic festival and last year was my favourite edition to date. I looked at Ostrava last year but it's not the easiest place to get to.

3 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

This'll be my 7th time at Pukkelpop out of the last 9 editions, I'm now 40. The average age is fairly young but you won't feel out of place and there are plenty of older people who go. The Belgians are very friendly and is nothing like a UK crowd - probably the primary reason I go. Never seen one bit of trouble in all the time I've been there. They really are great people. You won't get robbed.

Yes - No problems here for both guys and gals

Yes, not a massive amount but there's the Petit Bazaar which is full of weird and wonderful stuff. There's 10 stages so there's always something on. You can always a few drinks in Hasselt which is a really nice town - we tend to have lunch and a few beers in Hasselt before making our way up to the festival (we stay in a hotel in Hasselt)

Plenty of grass and plenty of sand oddly last year. Its not exactly scenic, its a field at the side of a road but its flat and does the job perfectly. Access to and from the site is easy.

Can be scorching, can be rainy on occasions. Mainly good weather though. I wouldn't let the weather put you off.

Very well laid out, half of the site is for dance music, the other half is for stages. Not many bottlenecks and you will get a good spot at most of the sets.

Yes, but there are alternatives. the street outside the entrance  is full of houses and the residents open their driveways up as food stalls and has plenty of places to eat and drink at a vasty reduced price. Easy to nip in and out of the site.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to come to Pukkelpop. It really is a fantastic festival and last year was my favourite edition to date. I looked at Ostrava last year but it's not the easiest place to get to.

Wonderful, thanks for your input!

We were actually looking at the hotel package. But since you mentioned it, we may look at finding our own accomodation instead. As I think the hotels the festival offers directly are quite far off. Albeit there are free shuttle buses, but they're not that frequent. The last one back is at 4am which (I think) might mean we wouldn't be able to stay till the end of play each day.

1 minute ago, arteet said:

Some great comments there, thanks for the input guys. I'll be a first timer too, in my early 30s.

I think some asked recently about spirits - do they sell these inside? Or even cider? Basically are there any alcoholic options other than beer?

They have a bacardi stand. They don't sell any other spirits apart from that I believe. 

They have a special beers stand which sells white beer and cherry beer and also a champagne stand

Edited by DiscothequeDave

One last question!

Looking now at getting a hotel in Hasselt. The ones I've been looking at are 45 mins - 60 mins walk from the festival site. Are there regular shuttle buses from the town for when we're too hungover and/or lazy to walk?

Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by Disco_Fudge
my own stupidity

7 minutes ago, Disco_Fudge said:

One last question!

Looking now at getting a hotel in Hasselt. The ones I've been looking at are 45 mins - 60 mins walk from the festival site. Are there regular shuttle buses from the town for when we're too hungover and/or lazy to walk?

Regular free shuttle buses are available and take about 20 mins and doesn't take long to wait for one as most people camp. With the combi ticket you also get return train travel from anywhere in Belgium.

It is by far the best organised festival I've been to. Getting there and back is easy, very short wait for beer and the toilets and dead easy to get around. Puts UK festivals to shame.

9 minutes ago, Disco_Fudge said:

One last question!

Yes, there are free shuttle bus every 15 minutes from Hasselt Station to the Festival grounds, and during the night there are free shuttle buses every 20/30 minutes for going back to Hasselt. This is very well organized so you won't have any problem for going and getting back. 

Another thing to add is that the organisers are very savvy at Social Media particularly when you're there. The Pukkelpop app has a live timeline so you know who's on where and gets updated with any cancellations, news or set time changes. It's the little things like that that put the icing on the cake for me.