Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

43 minutes ago, Semprini said:

I know it says 15th on Mumford's website for Frequency but, with the exception of Zurich Openair and Lolla Berlin, every festival they're doing is currently listed as them playing the opening day. There's an outside chance they could be at Frequency on Thursday, which would rule them out of PKP if the V rumours are true. Maybe the change in days for Frequency was so that they could accommodate Mumford's? Would make sense as they could play there on Tuesday, have a day off and then do the 4 shows Thurs-Sun.

Loads of decent names at Boomtown, really hoping there's plenty of overlap. Would happily take M.I.A., The Specials, Cypress Hill, Sugarhill Gang, Toots and the Maytals, Dub FX, Protoje, Altern 8 and far too many of the DJs to list. Think the PKP line up will once again have plenty of strength in depth, which is one of the main reasons why I go each year!!

Hope I'm wrong Dave but not sure I share your optimism about us getting an early announcement this year. Been thinking about the Lowlands situation and reckon they've done it because of the competition from BKS. Their line up this year is a big step up from previous editions so think the Lowlands organisers are seriously concerned about people going there instead, hence the early announcement. Happy to stand corrected but I don't get the impression many people from outside Holland go to Lowlands (look at this forum for instance, the Lowlands thread is virtually dead each year) so they're relying on 'locals' to buy most of the tickets. If you're only going to do one festival this summer then BKS is a serious contender and will no doubt draw lots of people away from Lowlands.

Well there's another week left of wishlist entries so nothing announced till mid Feb at least.

As for BKS, it's a bit of a strange one. Lowlands has announced 33 names for a festival 2 months later in the year and BKS have given us 2 with no names for 12 weeks now. Don't think it's odd that there is very little on these boards about Lowlands. Roskilde for example is massive and hardly gets a mention either.

As for the Pukkelpop line up. It could potentially be the most predictable one for years, unless they go for someone who's not on any line up yet.

I still predict we'll get the first names in February

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still believe we'll get Pet Shop Boys since they've been announced for Bestival. Would be a good addition and suited for PKP. To be honest, im not particularly bothered about having 'massive' headliners since im attending RW just would like a really strong undercard with loads of good electronic acts.

9 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

I still believe we'll get Pet Shop Boys since they've been announced for Bestival. Would be a good addition and suited for PKP. To be honest, im not particularly bothered about having 'massive' headliners since im attending RW just would like a really strong undercard with loads of good electronic acts.

I think that'd be so weird seeing them at Pukkelpop. Are they big in Belgium?

20 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Pet Shop Boys would suit fine in The Barn at Rock Werchter in the evening, like Simple Minds a couple of years ago. Can't really figure out where to place them at Pukkelpop though. Younger crowd there, at PKP. Maybe (sub) in the Marquee? Would definitey give em a go, from nostalgic point of view. 

Edited by DaveRSV4

13 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Well there's another week left of wishlist entries so nothing announced till mid Feb at least.

As for BKS, it's a bit of a strange one. Lowlands has announced 33 names for a festival 2 months later in the year and BKS have given us 2 with no names for 12 weeks now. Don't think it's odd that there is very little on these boards about Lowlands. Roskilde for example is massive and hardly gets a mention either.

As for the Pukkelpop line up. It could potentially be the most predictable one for years, unless they go for someone who's not on any line up yet.

I still predict we'll get the first names in February

Bks has sold out though

the lack of interest in Lowlands on these boards surprises me after I went last year

great festival close to Amsterdam and was full of non dutch.

Still hoping to return to Pukkelpop this year, hoping for a good lineup as the festival still has not been beaten for me

Just now, DiscothequeDave said:

Pixies and Iggy!! Big losses!! PKP is avoiding this kind of acts in the last 2 or 3 years. I think that we won't see again bands like Neil Young or Kraftwerk playing there... 

Edited by johnybegood

11 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Do PKP release the results of the wishlist? I know that some festivals usually do it but then never say that 'this was the most wished band so we booked them', im assuming their lineup is already set so whats the point besides spurring PR

Then you'd probably get Drake, Rihanna, Bastille or other shitty mainstream acts on top.. It's gone very downhill with PKP the last few years. Im only hoping for them they stick close to what Lowlands is doing, because they're doing amazing headline-wise.

On 10/02/2017 at 0:17 PM, arcuse said:

Then you'd probably get Drake, Rihanna, Bastille or other shitty mainstream acts on top.. It's gone very downhill with PKP the last few years. Im only hoping for them they stick close to what Lowlands is doing, because they're doing amazing headline-wise.

Rihanna aside, last year was pretty decent what with the Chems and LCD. The trend over the past few years has been for Lowlands and PKP to have some different headliners so may well happen again this summer. Think The XX and Mumfords will be at both but wouldn't be surprised if The XX co-headline with someone.

1 hour ago, SilverLining said:

I'm going to guess that PKP will have The XX, Prodigy & Killers as headliners this year.

No dates in August yet for the Killers but doesn't mean they won't be about. I'd be happy with names like the ones you've mentioned as they would be relatively cheap and therefore leave plenty of cash for the rest of the bill!!

40 minutes ago, Stef_P82 said:

I guess White Lies will not only play Werchter, but also PKP. In Germany 12/8 and Austria 15/8.

Edit: The National play in Denmark 11/8. Would be great to see them again.

Good chance they'll both be there. Be interesting to see what they will do with the likes of The XX, The National and Bastille if they play as they've all headlined in the past few years but not sure if they'd do the same this summer? Bastille are relatively low down on other line ups (tbf they shouldn't have headlined PKP anyway) and I can only see the other two as co-headliners. May well depend on who else is available but the Fuji Rocks line up now also puts Bjork and Queens of the Stone Age in the frame.

Edited by Semprini

8 hours ago, Semprini said:

Rihanna aside, last year was pretty decent what with the Chems and LCD. The trend over the past few years has been for Lowlands and PKP to have some different headliners so may well happen again this summer. Think The XX and Mumfords will be at both but wouldn't be surprised if The XX co-headline with someone.

No dates in August yet for the Killers but doesn't mean they won't be about. I'd be happy with names like the ones you've mentioned as they would be relatively cheap and therefore leave plenty of cash for the rest of the bill!!

Good chance they'll both be there. Be interesting to see what they will do with the likes of The XX, The National and Bastille if they play as they've all headlined in the past few years but not sure if they'd do the same this summer? Bastille are relatively low down on other line ups (tbf they shouldn't have headlined PKP anyway) and I can only see the other two as co-headliners. May well depend on who else is available but the Fuji Rocks line up now also puts Bjork and Queens of the Stone Age in the frame.

Agreed about last year. Thought it was the best line up in years and I for one had the best ever Pukkelpop.

Problem with Bjork and Qotsa is that that they're repeat headliners as well. We know that the organisers have no problems with booking the same acts but surely they'll want a bit of individuality about them.

17 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Agreed about last year. Thought it was the best line up in years and I for one had the best ever Pukkelpop.

Problem with Bjork and Qotsa is that that they're repeat headliners as well. We know that the organisers have no problems with booking the same acts but surely they'll want a bit of individuality about them.

So are Bastille, Editors and The XX who seem very likely to get the headliner spots this year (just Mumford & Sons or Red Hot Chili Peppers could be in the way) haha

35 minutes ago, arcuse said:

So are Bastille, Editors and The XX who seem very likely to get the headliner spots this year (just Mumford & Sons or Red Hot Chili Peppers could be in the way) haha

That's what I mean about it potentially being the most predictable line up ever. It could well end up being a mash up of the last 5 or 6 editions.

Given the backlash the organisers got when they had when Bastille somehow headlined in 2014 I wouldn't be surprised to see them not be booked at all. If they were they'd be sub at absolute most.

Not much mention of Ed Sheeran. Again. A fairly recent repeat booking but I can absolutely see him headlining this year....unfortunately.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Not much mention of Ed Sheeran. Again. A fairly recent repeat booking but I can absolutely see him headlining this year....unfortunately.

Yeah, he's definitely a contender. I personally don't mind Ed Sheeran - would probably go and have a look if there was nothing else on - but think he'd be an excellent booking for the festival. His stock is so high at the moment that they'd sell out if he played. Definitely the day he was on but likely all the combi's too. Tickets for his arena tour went in minutes and if PKP was to be his only Belgian festival show then that would be a huge draw for many people.

Guess there's still Eminem to consider as well. Haven't really been keeping tabs on the Reading/Leeds rumours but last I heard he was gonna be the final headliner.

56 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

In the last years we got belgian closing acts on saturday (Oscar & The Wolf, Goose, Netsky...) 

Who can take this spot this year? Is Lost Frequencies big enough?

Big enough to close the Boiler or Dance Hall but not the Main Stage. If they have a Belgian act this year then it will most likely be Netsky.

Chance the Rapper and Danny Brown both announced for Way out West. Danny Brown is also at Reading so likely we'll see both of them at PKP.

Sasha and Digweed confirmed for the amazing Kappa Futur festival in July. Hope this is the start of a string of dates across the summer, which will of course include a stop off in Hasselt mid-August!!

14 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Flow seem to have a big name lined up which will be revealed this week. Got to be a fairly short name so Ed Sheeran, Eminem and Kanye West are my best guesses.

Those three don't really fit in with the rest of the list though. My guess would be The National. Immensely popular in Scandinavia (headlined Flow Festival before in 2014) and are around in August, playing and curating HAVEN 2017 in Denmark the same weekend.