Y Not Festival 2017

Wagon

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, greenfairy43 said:

No Neil. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse to provide too few security or (well) briefed stewards, to take no precautions to deal with the shitty weather everyone else seemed to be aware of in advance or  to provide adequate water points. To name just a few things. 

(I wasn't there,  I went years ago and really didn't like it as a festival,  so I am obviously going by what I have read on social media.)

If you want all festivals to be covering any and all possibilities whether really necessary or not, that's going to hit yours and everyone else's pocket, at every festival.

Did Glastonbury get slagged off in the same way with "ABSOLUTELY no excuse" last year? Nope. And yet Glastonbury's fuck-up was much more clearly a fuck-up before anything had happened with the festival than was the case for Y-Not.

There may or may not be festivals that some people like and some people don't like, but that shouldn't lead to people making unfair and unbalanced criticisms, where some festivals might get free-passed while others don't.

The good management of any festival is much more the result of experience than working from a tick sheet, and even when a festival has that experience it doesn't get to mean it always gets referenced if it was a long time ago.

I had a chat with a major festival organiser very recently, where we talked a little about this year's complaints of his festival, and where one of the gripes was the same gripe as a number of years ago which got dealt with after that first instance but where that same error had been made again this year.

The organiser was a bit perplexed about it - it's not even something which requires extra money or staff beyond what was there this year - because it shouldn't have happened again, but it did. He knows it's easy sorted, as it was sorted before. I've no doubts that particular thing will be something he & his team are on top of next year .... but that might also mean that something else slips back to a poorer version instead. It happens, and it's impossible for an organiser to micro-manage every aspect unless it's a tiny fest no matter what their intention.

I don't doubt that Y-Not could have done more in advance of the fest which would have lessened the problems they suffered this year, but what happened has happened and now they can only try and move forwards from it in a positive way and they appear to be trying to do that.

Ultimately that's the best we can hope for, unless we demand that every fest is shut down forever and an organiser 'blackballed' if things go too wrong for whichever twitterarti or whoever you might think should make the ruling over it.

I would prefer that festivals make use of what they have learnt to improve the next festival. It's the way we get the best festivals, and it's the way that festivals get held to account.

No one is held to account if it's demanded they're made to cut and run, as I presume we're currently seeing around a festival that's just happened.

Edited by eFestivals

This doesn't affect me personally but how would it work if you bought your ticket second hand?

The person who sold the ticket would be laughing - not only probably getting more than face value but then also getting a refund on those tickets too!

1 hour ago, Cammers said:

This doesn't affect me personally but how would it work if you bought your ticket second hand?

The person who sold the ticket would be laughing - not only probably getting more than face value but then also getting a refund on those tickets too!

That happened to me recently with the Green Day gig in Glasgow. Luckily I ended up getting the money back from the person (a few weeks late) but it did strike me how easily the person could have walked away with my money and the refund. It's the risk you take I guess

Edited by Thrillhouse

I dont really understand the defense of the Y-not organisers. They cancelled a festival BECAUSE OF THE RAIN!!! IN THE UK!!! AT SUMMERTIME!!! They SHOULD have been contingency plans for some rain?!? Having bands play on the main stage under gazebo's is NOT a suitable contingency. Cancelling bands as it was too hazardous for them to unload their gear (or even get to backstage to do so) is not a contingency..

OK, the refund (and the manner in which it has been given) is a very good thing. And, one hopes, they will learn from this year. However, judging by the comments on thefts & no security checks this year sounds A LOT like it was when i went in 2013, where we saw tent thefts & fence jumpers. So no lesson learnt from then. And that was when capacity was, what, 12000? This year it was 28000? One can only imagine how shitty things were.... There was ALSO a lot of rain then with no attempt to help that situation, although the only cancellation that year was because of a lightning storm (all very understandable).

I dont think its a case of people being too 'mollycoddled' to think they should have all creature comforts. Just a modicum of security would be nice.....

15 minutes ago, retromoz said:

I dont really understand the defense of the Y-not organisers. They cancelled a festival BECAUSE OF THE RAIN!!! IN THE UK!!! AT SUMMERTIME!!! They SHOULD have been contingency plans for some rain?!? Having bands play on the main stage under gazebo's is NOT a suitable contingency. Cancelling bands as it was too hazardous for them to unload their gear (or even get to backstage to do so) is not a contingency..

Even Glastonbury has had to cancel bands because of UK rain. That in itself can be a good enough reason.

I've never heard of bands needing to play underneath gazebos on a covered stage to protect them from the rain as Clean Bandit had to do, so i reckon it's fair enough to accept that what exactly happened with that rain played its own part, regardless of anything else.

Not having adequate tracking to get bands in and out of the festival does appear to be a failing of the festival.

3 hours ago, pedrogooch said:

Have people had them from Gigantic, the main ticket agent, or were other agencies selling for Y Not as well? 

Wasn't the only ticket agent this year Outgoing? With outgoing having links to new owners/organisers - broadwick live and global. 

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Outgoing is tied to Broadwick rather than Global, i believe. I'm pretty sure it's the same guy at the head of both.

Global and Broadwick seem one and the same company now. 

Ownership of shares – 75% or more

Ownership of voting rights - More than 50% but less than 75%

20 minutes ago, craigb said:

Global and Broadwick seem one and the same company now. 

What you mean, I think (from those numbers), is that Global legally control Broadwick.

I believe that Broadwick is (still) run as its own entity, with the same guy in charge who always has been - who is the same guy who ran (runs?) Outgoing.

Just now, eFestivals said:

What you mean, I think (from those numbers), is that Global legally control Broadwick.

I believe that Broadwick is (still) run as its own entity, with the same guy in charge who always has been - who is the same guy who ran (runs?) Outgoing.

Yeah, you're right just checked. The guy still at Outgoing and BW, but not part of Global. 

Not sure if they were family members that run it or just shared the same name. But one has now resigned from some of the companies like BW, FN6... But still at Outgoing. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I want to have trust in KC but i've got very solid reasons for little trust around the whole setup.

Yeah I get it but I think that there maybe was some reservations from folk about them jumping into bed with the whp/ground control and also folk thought KC was involved in number 6 in 2011 or vice Versa if I remember rightly and look where KC have got to ! You just gotta give them the benefit of the doubt ................. if it goes to pot I will be the first to fire some bullets and stir the pot lol

Edited by LOCHLAND5

10 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

You just gotta give them the benefit of the doubt

Nope, I really haven't. In the circumstances that would be unjustifiable.

And if you were sat where I'm sat with access to the stuff gone in my ears and written down, you'd think the same. When there's bullshit flying around as it has been it's impossible to know who is the bullshitter in some of what's gone on.