Under-rated/overlooked Glasto sets

OneLittleFish

Have there been any sets that you've seen and thought "Cor, that's an iconic set" or similar but it never quite seemed to be that way?

The first one that jumps to mind for me is Laura Marling in 2011. A triumph of her music on the biggest stage imaginable over her nerves and natural shyness. One of those very rare sets when you could hear a pin drop at the Pyramid. Left that set thinking she's a potential future headliner.

Mine is probably Smashing Pumpkins 2013 (probably should be known as a Billy Corgan solo set but I digress) on paper not an iconic set per se but everything just seemed to fall into place. Was a perfect summer sunday evening, the sun was slowly setting, the other stage crowd was amazing, I had a backpack full of cans of cider and the set had a perfect dose of nostalgic tunes. Although there was a big "1979" gap in the setlist I just remember leaving it thinking that I had a bloody good time. Luckily the whole set is still on youtube, I'd almost forgotten how much it went off during "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" 

For me probably Cypress Hill in 2000.  Not one of those gigs that seems to get the attention but it was the moment I finally got what the fuss was about with them, they were really tight live, absolute brought the storm to the stage and the crowd were among the most enthusiastic I've ever experienced anywhere (let alone the often sedate Glastonbury main stage), there's a moment in the Juilien Temple film showing the crowd during Rock superstar that always makes me grin at the memory.

Andy Fairweather-Low, Nick Lowe and Paul Carrack were outstanding and a real treat for those who made it.

A couple of years ago I also chanced on Bryan Ferry, having given up on Metallica after about ten minutes and had a great evening.

The other outstanding over the years has to be Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Andy Fairweather-Low, Nick Lowe and Paul Carrack were outstanding and a real treat for those who made it.

A couple of years ago I also chanced on Bryan Ferry, having given up on Metallica after about ten minutes and had a great evening.

The other outstanding over the years has to be Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers.

Horses for courses Grumpy! I left Low, Lowe & Carrick after 3 songs, utterly dreadful. Loved Metallica though. :D

I was trying to think of an underrated set yesterday. Finally plumped for Eels in 2011. You don't see it mentioned often but he/they were superb.

As you say Gnomicide, Horses for Courses, but I challenge anyone to come up with a much better end of a set than Glenn and The Fluffers. Absolutely no question that it's the end and no possibility of an encore.

11 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Horses for courses Grumpy! I left Low, Lowe & Carrick after 3 songs, utterly dreadful. Loved Metallica though. :D

I was trying to think of an underrated set yesterday. Finally plumped for Eels in 2011. You don't see it mentioned often but he/they were superb.

I was going to plump for Eels as well, brilliant fun in the sun. I think they get forgot a little because Queens Of The Stone Age happened only a couple of bands after. QotSa are still the best thing I've seen at Glastonbury.

On 04/09/2016 at 0:03 PM, Matt42 said:

Ben UFO b2b Job Jobse - Temple 2016

To those who were there, they know.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHMyBRxDnhM/?hl=en

Did you get there early for that, or just wait out the queue? I was watching Seth troxler at genosys, but just couldnt face a queue that late on a sunday. 

I always want to do sunday night in the temple but end up bottling the queue as I dont want to waste the last night.