Slam Dunk 2017

Andre91

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headliners aside.

Anyone think Slam Dunk will manage to book anyone to play an album in full.
With Yellowcard doing Ocean Avenue and I guess you could use the whole You me at six playing the majority of Take of your colours in the same category? And I feel like they've had other bands do it in the past, but I could be wrong?

Just to name a few albums that would be hitting a 10 year anniversary or just over (some are purely wishful thinking that it would ever happen)
Pretty much all of them have played before so they fit the mould for Slam Dunk.

Mayday Parade - A lesson in romantics (Could see this and I hope so!)
Cute is what we aim for - The same old blood rush with a new touch (could see this maybe, seeing as they're already touring the album in full. I'd also wish for this for pure nostalgia and not getting to go to Slam Dunk when they headlined in 2008)
Set your goals - Mutiny! (Please please please! Could easily see this but feel like they'd just do a headline tour)
Four year strong - Rise or die trying (would also love this, but seems unlikely!)
Enter Shikari - Take to the skies (Would be amazing, probably would never happen at Slam Dunk)
All time low - So wrong, it's right (Couldn't see this happening, plus I guess they're March tour that Slam Dunk have booked rules them out)
Paramore - Riot! (I couldn't see this ever happening, they're far too big for Slam Dunk and currently recording a new album so would probably tour that instead. But we can always hope aha!)

Shikari would never play Take To The Skies in Full at a festival. They might do it at a one off show or tour, but they're not the sort of band that would or need to play an album from years ago in full. They're a band still in their prime so there's really no need for them do start doing stuff like that just yet. 

24 minutes ago, jcarb said:

Mayday Parade - A lesson in romantics (Could see this and I hope so!)
Cute is what we aim for - The same old blood rush with a new touch (could see this maybe, seeing as they're already touring the album in full. I'd also wish for this for pure nostalgia and not getting to go to Slam Dunk when they headlined in 2008)
Set your goals - Mutiny! (Please please please! Could easily see this but feel like they'd just do a headline tour)
Four year strong - Rise or die trying (would also love this, but seems unlikely!)
Enter Shikari - Take to the skies (Would be amazing, probably would never happen at Slam Dunk)
All time low - So wrong, it's right (Couldn't see this happening, plus I guess they're March tour that Slam Dunk have booked rules them out)
Paramore - Riot! (I couldn't see this ever happening, they're far too big for Slam Dunk and currently recording a new album so would probably tour that instead. But we can always hope aha!)

I don't see any of them happening for either the fact that the bands are now too big or the albums not iconic enough within the genre.
However if any of them did do it then it would seem like Cute Is What We Aim For would be the most likely.

It's not going to be a regular thing but if we do see it again but if we do see it again soon i'd expect it to be something like:

All-American Rejects doing Move Along in full.
Bowling For Soup doing Drunk Enough To Dance in full.
Good Charlotte doing Young and Hopeless in full.
Simple Plan doing No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls in full.

Allister doing Last Stop Suburbia in full would be a dream, as would +44.

We could go another 5 years without seeing an album in full though, maybe even longer.

8 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I don't see any of them happening for either the fact that the bands are now too big or the albums not iconic enough within the genre.
However if any of them did do it then it would seem like Cute Is What We Aim For would be the most likely.

It's not going to be a regular thing but if we do see it again but if we do see it again soon i'd expect it to be something like:

All-American Rejects doing Move Along in full.
Bowling For Soup doing Drunk Enough To Dance in full.
Good Charlotte doing Young and Hopeless in full.
Simple Plan doing No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls in full.

Allister doing Last Stop Suburbia in full would be a dream, as would +44.

We could go another 5 years without seeing an album in full though, maybe even longer.

Set your goals - Mutiny! is definitely in with a running, it's definitely iconic and I wouldn't say they're too big with them playing this year.
Though two years in a row may be too much of an easy booking, that and they'd more than likely do a headline tour with them already making a big deal of the 10th anniversary and touring it already in the US.

I'd settle for Cute playing The same old blood rush, I can see Slam Dunk booking them in some shape or form whether it be the festival or a tour tbf.

I see your point with most of them not likely to happen, and ocean avenue wasn't an anniversary of the album so I guess anything could be possible.
The dream would be Taking Back Sunday - Tell all your friends or Brand new - Deja Entendu
I'd pay a pretty substantial amount to see either of those happen, don't see it happening any time soon though.

3 minutes ago, jcarb said:

Set your goals - Mutiny! is definitely in with a running, it's definitely iconic and I wouldn't say they're too big with them playing this year.
Though two years in a row may be too much of an easy booking, that and they'd more than likely do a headline tour with them already making a big deal of the 10th anniversary and touring it already in the US.

I'd settle for Cute playing The same old blood rush, I can see Slam Dunk booking them in some shape or form whether it be the festival or a tour tbf.

I see your point with most of them not likely to happen, and ocean avenue wasn't an anniversary of the album so I guess anything could be possible.
The dream would be Taking Back Sunday - Tell all your friends or Brand new - Deja Entendu
I'd pay a pretty substantial amount to see either of those happen, don't see it happening any time soon though.

Mutiny isn't even Set Your Goals biggest album, if they were to do one it'd be This Will Be The Death Of Us, Set Your Goals could play (Obviously) but if they were to do an album in full why didn't they do it this year?

Ocean Avenue was an absolutely huge album when it was released and has really helped to carry Yellowcard through their career, which is part of the reason it was probably booked as the album in full.

It might end up just being a one off in all honesty, it's not something you can really predict them booking unless a band is touring an album in full... *cough cough* Brand New doing TDAG in full, make it happen Slam Dunk *cough cough*

On 19/10/2016 at 0:33 PM, Gozpot said:

If we take Neck Deep out of the equation they are the leading light of modern pop punk, i think they could pull off a sub slot, their first album was fantastic, the second album went down well, the only thing that might prevent them is their tour.

State Champs the leading light of modern Pop Punk? If that's the case I'm checking out now. Knuckle Puck are twice the band State Champs are. Where is @justanothername to back me up when I need him :lol: 

Reading through the thread, Enter Shikari playing TTTS is an absolute dream for me, but I can't ever see Shikari going down the album in full road. Ever. They're far too forward thinking and progressive to do something like that. They are a band who are continuously pushing boundaries and adding to their sound, I don't think they will ever be in a position where they have to rely on nostalgia. They're a f**king national treasure, that band. 

Shikari love aside :P I don't think AFI are a good fit for Slammy D at all. Good Charlotte is a good shout. They're who I'm expecting as Main Stage headliners. 

Good Charlotte 
Neck Deep 
Billy Talent
Marmozets
Deaf Havana
State Champs
Creeper 

Thoughts? Billy Talent could sub, I think. 

Edited by Andre91

19 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

State Champs the leading light of modern Pop Punk? If that's the case I'm checking out now. Knuckle Puck are twice the band State Champs are. Where is @justanothername to back me up when I need him :lol: 

Good Charlotte 
Neck Deep 
Billy Talent
Marmozets
Deaf Havana
State Champs
Creeper 

Thoughts? Billy Talent could sub, I think. 

I never said State Champs were the best, leading light generally means the bigger bands leading the charge, which no one can deny they are.

As for your line up, Billy Talent would surely sub? Deaf Havana i don't see playing and State Champs would play higher.

13 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I never said State Champs were the best, leading light generally means the bigger bands leading the charge, which no one can deny they are.

As for your line up, Billy Talent would surely sub? Deaf Havana i don't see playing and State Champs would play higher.

Ahh ok, I misunderstood what you meant by it. 

Mhmm. Deaf Havana have played SD quite a few times, and they have a new album coming out so I would be more surprised if they didn't play than if they did. They seem to fit that Mallory Knox / Lower Than Atlantis (now, anyway) 'nicey nice' vanilla ice cream radio rock quota. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Ahh ok, I misunderstood what you meant by it. 

Mhmm. Deaf Havana have played SD quite a few times, and they have a new album coming out so I would be more surprised if they didn't play than if they did. They seem to fit that Mallory Knox / Lower Than Atlantis (now, anyway) 'nicey nice' vanilla ice cream radio rock quota. 

Deaf Havana well could play, i'm just hoping they take a punt on somebody else that fits that quota you mentioned, maybe someone like Lonely The Brave, The Xcerts etc. or even bringing back Blitz Kids.

51 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Not convinced State Champs would be playing any higher than that. If anything they're too high. Don't forget that Moose Blood (who are obviously bigger) opened Main Stage this year. 

Prior to this album Moose Blood weren't bigger than State Champs, this album has massively propelled Moose Blood.

It weren't like they were some no name band before the singles or the album came out though. If you speak to most people, the majority of people prefer the debut album anyway. They were on a natural rise in both the UK and the U.S after they ended up on Warped Tour. They completely packed out The Lock Up stage at R/L last year. If you compare their debut and Blush, it was I'll Keep You In Mind that massively propelled them, not Blush. 

1 minute ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

It weren't like they were some no name band before the singles or the album came out though. If you speak to most people, the majority of people prefer the debut album anyway. They were on a natural rise in both the UK and the U.S after they ended up on Warped Tour. They completely packed out The Lock Up stage at R/L last year. If you compare their debut and Blush, it was I'll Keep You In Mind that massively propelled them, not Blush. 

Blush is a much more commercial album, that's what has propelled them, i never said it was better but it's got considerable more coverage than the last album did. Which has raised their stock.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

The other stages would need to be really good.

It's obviously not the most exciting line up but Slam Dunk obviously doesn't have such a a gigantic pool of acts to book for the main stage. Obviously most the exciting acts would end up being booked on the smaller stages.

Some hopes for the other stages include: Sugarcult (Not going to happen but i can dream), American Hi-Fi, The Wonder Years, Can't Swim, Boston Manor, Turnover, Basement, Chunk! and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (another dream)

Main stage prediction:

Good charlotte
Neck deep
Deaf havana
Pvris
Against the current
Modern baseball
Creeper

Other stage headliners:
Metal stage: Asking alexandria
Punk rock/Ska punk stage: Less than jake
2nd pop punk stage: State champs
Hardcore punk stage: Sick of it all

I don't get why Good Charlotte are in so many headliner predictions, I don't think there would be that much interest at all.

The stags that TSSF headlined this year was the best lineup imo, I only saw Yellowcard and NFG and I'd only see two from both of your above lineups so not that different I guess.

I don't however see LTJ, Sick Of It All and State Champs all closing stages.

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't get why Good Charlotte are in so many headliner predictions, I don't think there would be that much interest at all.

Because there's very few options left for potential Pop Punk headliners and they've yet to properly tour their new album.