Slam Dunk 2017

Andre91

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Complete dick move by them to announce the tour after some or their fans undoubtedly forked out to get to London.

It is a joke, I've got my tickets and hotel all sorted for the London show as it was announced as a one off. I live in Swindon and there's been a Cardiff date added on a Saturday which would be much cheaper and easier for me to get too. Pretty unfair on their part really.

Definitely rules out All Time Low.

To summarise what i'm thinking on headliners now:

Ruled Out:
All Time Low (Tour)
Sum 41 (Tour)
You Me At Six (Too soon and tours)

Unlikely, but possible:
A Day To Remember (Unless they decide to expand they're too big)
Twenty One Pilots (Same as ADTR)
Jimmy Eat World (Don't think they're big enough anymore, their tour hasn't sold out any dates, i believe)
Twin Atlantic (Right size but i imagine they'd be very much a back up booking for Slam Dunk)
Brand New (With the band seemingly breaking up in 2018 i see them doing their own shows over festivals)
The All-American Rejects (Still with no new music i can't see it)
The Offspring (Think they would be too divisive, don't imagine many of the younger audience listen to them)
Weezer (Same as The Offspring)
Neck Deep (If they manage to get a new album out then they're a shoe in but without that i can't see it)
Parkway Drive (Probably a little too heavy for a main stage headliner)
Architects (Same as Parkway Drive)
Simple Plan (Not entirely convinced they are big enough now but they're possible i suppose)

More Likely:
Good Charlotte (Provided they don't announce a tour they have every chance)
Black Veil Brides (Meant to be be working on a new album)
Sleeping With Sirens (Imagine the younger crowd would love it)
Pierce The Veil (Same as Sleeping With Sirens)
Asking Alexandria (Same as SwS and PTV)

What does everyone think?

Good Charlotte aside, that "More Likely" list is horrific - although can't argue with it being accurate unfortunately. 

Twin Atlantic actually a reasonably decent shout that wouldn't be that bad, although their latest album doesn't really scream "Slam Dunk" to me. I think Enter Shikari are an outside possibility, although I'd imagine they'd rather take a big festival slot at R/L or DL. Not really sure who else there is - Deaf Havana maybe, are they big enough now with a new album on the way? Don Broco? 

16 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Good Charlotte aside, that "More Likely" list is horrific - although can't argue with it being accurate unfortunately. 

Twin Atlantic actually a reasonably decent shout that wouldn't be that bad, although their latest album doesn't really scream "Slam Dunk" to me. I think Enter Shikari are an outside possibility, although I'd imagine they'd rather take a big festival slot at R/L or DL. Not really sure who else there is - Deaf Havana maybe, are they big enough now with a new album on the way? Don Broco? 

Sadly it does seem that those bands in the More Likely List are awful, aside from GC. Enter Shikari i think they'd rather do other festivals over Slam Dunk. Deaf Havana are maybe a bit small now and Don Broco i don't think are big enough, i'd say Mallory Knox who subbed this year are bigger.

24 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

For the Main Stage i'm going with:

Good Charlotte
State Champs
Don Broco
Bowling For Soup
Cute Is What We Aim For
Modern Baseball
Creeper

I don't think there is any chance State Champs are subbing, and I like them. The Forum stage was better for me this year though tbf basing it on Birmingham. 

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think there is any chance State Champs are subbing, and I like them. The Forum stage was better for me this year though tbf basing it on Birmingham. 

If we take Neck Deep out of the equation they are the leading light of modern pop punk, i think they could pull off a sub slot, their first album was fantastic, the second album went down well, the only thing that might prevent them is their tour.

Would love to see some more throwback pop punk bands this year. Having The Starting Line last year i'd love it if they managed to book someone like Allister, American Hi-Fi, The Ataris, Lit, Something Corporate, Sugarcult etc. Would also be really happy if they got The Mighty Mighty Bosstones to headline The Desperados Stage.

State Champs are nowhere near big enough to sub yet. Neck Deep were about as big, if not bigger, than State Champs are now in 2015 and they only played 5th down on main. Granted it was a bigger year than usual, but even so, they'd probably only have been a 4th down, possibly 3rd at a push at that point. 

I don't think AFI would be thaaaat big of a booking for Slam Dunk, but you would get a shit load of AFI fans picking up tickets regardless of who else was playing as soon as they got announced, so they'd still get a good reception. 

Would be far better than a Pierce The Veil/Sleeping with Sirens co-headline from hell. Unfortunately the latter would probably do better numbers for them though. 

4 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

State Champs are nowhere near big enough to sub yet. Neck Deep were about as big, if not bigger, than State Champs are now in 2015 and they only played 5th down on main. Granted it was a bigger year than usual, but even so, they'd probably only have been a 4th down, possibly 3rd at a push at that point. 

I don't think AFI would be thaaaat big of a booking for Slam Dunk, but you would get a shit load of AFI fans picking up tickets regardless of who else was playing as soon as they got announced, so they'd still get a good reception. 

Would be far better than a Pierce The Veil/Sleeping with Sirens co-headline from hell. Unfortunately the latter would probably do better numbers for them though. 

This is a thing that is happening. When I heard it was happening i assumed it'd be on the second stage at Download, but come to think of it it's a fair bet for Slam Dunk considering they probably want to aim at the big venues in Leeds and Birmingham again, and I can't think of anyone they'd book. I'd have said Brand New but their Headline tour in March probably rules them out.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:13 PM, Gozpot said:

Definitely rules out All Time Low.

To summarise what i'm thinking on headliners now:

Ruled Out:
All Time Low (Tour)
Sum 41 (Tour)
You Me At Six (Too soon and tours)

Unlikely, but possible:

Enter Shikari (Reading &OR 2000 Trees)
A Day To Remember (Reading)
Twenty One Pilots 
Jimmy Eat World (Sub Headline size for Slam Dunk)
Twin Atlantic (Not Big enough to headline regardless, but their new album tour hasn't sold out. Great Divides first tour sold very well, at bigger venues)
Brand New (Potentially)
The All-American Rejects
The Offspring (Not the right sort of act)
Weezer (Not the right sort of act)
Neck Deep (New album is due out in 2017, a high Reading Billing, Big Tour Winter '17/'18 and High Slam Dunk Billing in 2018)
Parkway Drive (Tour in April, Won't be back so soon)
Architects (Never had a heavy band headline, but Architects could)
Simple Plan (Nah)

More Likely:
Good Charlotte (Very good chance they will play but I'm not convinced they'd be a headliner)
Black Veil Brides (Not big enough with the Kids in the UK)
Sleeping With Sirens / Pierce The Veil (Now if I were a betting man)
Asking Alexandria (Not big enough)

What does everyone think?