Slam Dunk 2017

Andre91

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear it will be someone crap like Asking Alexandria or All Time Low headlining. One benefit is perhaps that Asking Alexandria have dropped off a bit now so hopefully won't be them.

Enter Shikari are in theory too big for it, but they showed with Hevy last year they're happy to take a smaller slot to headline a festival and they did play it last year as Shikari Sound System. The only stumbling block would be if they've been offered a slot at Reading or Download after doing neither this year. Would actually love to see Shikari headline 2000 Trees next year tbh.

Would love to see someone like Jimmy Eat World headline it but don't want to get my hopes up too much. They do have a new album out so should be around, but think they're more likely for Reading or Download. Taking Back Sunday have a new album out, but they'd possibly be underwhelming after subbing in 2015. 

Think the ship has passed on A Day To Remember and they're too big for it now. twenty one pilots have thankfully got massive really really quickly so we've avoided ever having them headline it (touch wood). 

Sum 41 possibly? They'd be pretty good, you'd expect them to be at Download or Reading but tbf you'd have expected them at one of them this year and they weren't so who knows. 

Good Charlotte or Simple Plan possibly? Probably not as big as you'd want a headliner but I'd argue those two and Sum 41 would pull in a big crowd on the nostalgia alone. 

Not expecting it as they'll be back at Download I imagine, but how fucking great would it be to see Architects headline it after the year they've had? 

Not really sure who else there is apart from someone pretty left field like Brand New, Weezer or possibly a return for The All American Rejects? Think they've got a new album out next year even if they were originally only booked to sub 2014. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I fear it will be someone crap like Asking Alexandria or All Time Low headlining. One benefit is perhaps that Asking Alexandria have dropped off a bit now so hopefully won't be them.

Enter Shikari are in theory too big for it, but they showed with Hevy last year they're happy to take a smaller slot to headline a festival and they did play it last year as Shikari Sound System. The only stumbling block would be if they've been offered a slot at Reading or Download after doing neither this year. Would actually love to see Shikari headline 2000 Trees next year tbh.

Sum 41 possibly? They'd be pretty good, you'd expect them to be at Download or Reading but tbf you'd have expected them at one of them this year and they weren't so who knows. 

Good Charlotte or Simple Plan possibly? Probably not as big as you'd want a headliner but I'd argue those two and Sum 41 would pull in a big crowd on the nostalgia alone. 

Not really sure who else there is apart from someone pretty left field like Brand New, Weezer or possibly a return for The All American Rejects? Think they've got a new album out next year even if they were originally only booked to sub 2014. 

ATL are too big, please not ES at 2000 Trees. Sum 41 would be about right but not sure they are poppy enough, GC or SP no chance, Brand New and defo Weezer way too big.

22 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Are Brand New and Weezer too big? Panic at the Disco headlined this year and if anything they're bigger than those two bands, certainly in 2016. 

No they aren't, Panic made 5th main stage in their come back year at Reading, Weezer would easily be 3rd, Brand New the same possibly.

This is the same Panic at the Disco doing 2 nights at Ally Pally and doing a co-headline tour across America with Weezer, yes? 

Brand New couldn't do two nights at Ally Pally. They could do one at a push if it was their last ever UK show. Weezer could do one night with a decent supporting cast, but they're not doing two nights there. 

49 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

This is the same Panic at the Disco doing 2 nights at Ally Pally and doing a co-headline tour across America with Weezer, yes? 

Brand New couldn't do two nights at Ally Pally. They could do one at a push if it was their last ever UK show. Weezer could do one night with a decent supporting cast, but they're not doing two nights there. 

I forgot about their Ally Pally dates, but not a fan so wouldn't pay much attention to them. This is though in fairness after they played Slam Dunk as return gigs.

Nope, you are correct there they couldn't, and no Weezer couldn't, but they are also a rarity.

Shikari at 2000 Trees is a great shout, that would be a fantastic booking. 

Brand New for Slam Dunk would be decent, and could see it happening after their Biffy support slots. Sum 41 is a good shout too, although I don't think they would be big enough to headline. Sub maybe? 

Other bands I expect to play: Pierce The Veil (second stage headliners?), PVRIS, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, Neck Deep (main stage subs?). 

13 hours ago, Shaun182 said:

I can see the main stage lineup looking something like this:

All time low
Neck deep
Moose blood
Pvris
Against the current
Modern baseball
Creeper
With confidence 

All Time Low are too big for it, I know Panic played this year but they weren't that big when they  were booked for it.

Forgot my massive wishlist that I make every year. So going to do it. Well here we go!

Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties
American Football
Brand New (1st choice for headliner)
Can't Swim
Captain, We're Sinking (I WANT UK SHOWS DAMMIT!!!!)
Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
Converge (I'm sure we can chuck them on a stage somewhere)
Counterparts
Dads (but only if they play Shit Twins on repeat for the whole set)
Defeater
Departures
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Four Year Strong
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes
The Front Bottoms
The Gaslight Anthem (3rd choice for a headliner but that's like 1 in a 1000000 but I'm willing to take those odds)
The Get Up Kids
Giants
Gnarwolves
Heck
Hop Along (they perfect for the acoustic stage)
The Hotelier
Into It. Over It.
Jeff Rosenstock
Jimmy Eat World (4th choice for a headliner but probably wouldn't see them if they did)
Joyce Manor
Knuckle Puck
La Dispute
letlive.
Loma Prieta
Modern Baseball
Modern Life Is War
Mongol Horde
Neck Deep
Owen
PUP
Saves The Day
Set Your Goals
The Smith Street Band
Sorority Noise
Spraynard
State Champs (only because my mate will get a ticket)
The Story So Far (I always think these guys are kinda lame live so but I keep on seeing them for some reason)
Tigers Jaw
Tiny Moving Parts
Title Fight
Touche Amore
Turnover 
Weezer (2nd choice for headliner but 1 in a 100000000)
The Wonder Years (instant ticket)
The World Is A Beautiful Place...

Probably missed a few names but that should be it. Get a few names from there and we're sorted. Reckon a lot of them don't have a chance and everything depends on if they're tour and what not. Also nearly put down ADTR but thought that they're not likely (but it still didn't stop me putting down Weezer or Gaslight who are both less likely lmao)

Note: No, I don't have anything better to do with my life

Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Simple Plan, AAR etc aren't big enough to headline anymore, they'd all sub, just like New Found Glory did this year, i feel like the same would be the case for Jimmy Eat World and as much as i would love Brand New or Weezer to be booked i just don't see them doing it.

I don't think ADTR, ATL or TOP are too big to headline, P!ATD are huge now and the festival will look to keep growing so i can definitely see them booking someone bigger.

Maybe if they don't strive to grow we could see someone like Of Mice and Men, Architects, Parkway Drive to headline?

Obviously got to consider the likes of Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Siren and Pierce The Veil maybe also.

Slam Dunk would also never book someone like NOFX, Pennywise, Alk Trio, Anti-Flag etc to play the main stage, would go down like a lead balloon with a majority of the crowd.

Personally going with something like this.

A Day To Remember
Good Charlotte
Beartooth
Pvris
Don Broco
Against The Current
As It Is
Creeper

Edited by Gozpot

A Day To Rememer are too big now. Jimmy Eat World could easily headline. Two years of bigger than usual headliners doesn't mean that's the norm anymore. They've advertised both years as anniversaries. So I wouldn't get hopes up into assuming Arena bands are the standard for headliners at this now. 

Theres no way they'd get A Day To Remember on an exclusive in the first year of an album cycle. They'll be at Download or Reading for sure. 

9 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

A Day To Rememer are too big now. Jimmy Eat World could easily headline. Two years of bigger than usual headliners doesn't mean that's the norm anymore. They've advertised both years as anniversaries. So I wouldn't get hopes up into assuming Arena bands are the standard for headliners at this now. 

Theres no way they'd get A Day To Remember on an exclusive in the first year of an album cycle. They'll be at Download or Reading for sure. 

There's no reason ADTR couldn't headline and play at Reading/Download. Slam Dunk sells out year on year, they'd want to grow the festival to the point where Arena bands are the standard for headliners.

Well yeah there is because Download or Reading would sign them to an exclusive. Slam Dunk doesn't need to start booking arena bands to headline to be the norm since they're already selling out year in year out. They clearly had money issues in 2015 too, there was a reason why there was a massive increase in prices of drinks across the South site in 2016. 

On 23/09/2016 at 9:43 AM, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Well yeah there is because Download or Reading would sign them to an exclusive. Slam Dunk doesn't need to start booking arena bands to headline to be the norm since they're already selling out year in year out. They clearly had money issues in 2015 too, there was a reason why there was a massive increase in prices of drinks across the South site in 2016. 

Of the headliners, subs, third from top and NME headliners at Reading this year only 4 of the 14 were UK Festival exclusives, Download however is different. They could easily stretch get bands that are just starting to get to arenas (ADTR first arena tour in January).

On 23/09/2016 at 10:13 AM, thewayiam said:

Birmingham didn't sell out this year.

Birmingham didn't sell out but this could be in part the amount of people who were pissed off they moved it from Wolverhampton and didn't like the idea of it being in The NEC, i saw a lot of people complaining about that on social media.

10 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Of the headliners, subs, third from top and NME headliners at Reading this year only 4 of the 14 were UK Festival exclusives, Download however is different. They could easily stretch get bands that are just starting to get to arenas (ADTR first arena tour in January).

Reading aren't gonna let a marquee alternative act at their festival go and headline Slam Dunk though. If Download or Reading are booking A Day To Remember, they're booking them for a sizeable slot, and they're certainly not gonna let them headline another festival a few months before where tickets are way cheaper.  

Also assume you're forgetting A Day To Remember selling out Ally Pally in 2014?