Going Alone / Camp Loner Thread for 2017

Chris_Hayter88

So, Reading Festival has just finished and I am already looking upon next year already! Who is down for going to Reading again next year? We had a great group that went this year. If you have never been to Reading before and your mates have pulled out or you just want to go alone and meet new people feel free to join this thread.

We also have a Facebook group too.

46 minutes ago, Chris_Hayter88 said:

So, Reading Festival has just finished and I am already looking upon next year already! Who is down for going to Reading again next year? We had a great group that went this year. If you have never been to Reading before and your mates have pulled out or you just want to go alone and meet new people feel free to join this thread.

Also, I'd like to camp somewhere different than orange, due to some trouble this year. What does everyone that went this year think about that?

15 hours ago, Chris_Hayter88 said:

Also, I'd like to camp somewhere different than orange, due to some trouble this year. What does everyone that went this year think about that?

My suggestion would be to avoid the main areas that have the extra events outside of the arena.

I've never had trouble in Green but that's the main pathway/route for day tickets and very popular for the early birds.
Orange and Red have the silent discos.
Purple is the main route in from brown/white camp and I camped there this year and won't be making that mistake again
The same with yellow, it's a main route in to the arena and has a lot of the food/drinks vendors.

Maybe Brown could be best for you guys, it's not overly crowded and it's close enough but far enough if that makes any sense.

25 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

My suggestion would be to avoid the main areas that have the extra events outside of the arena.

I've never had trouble in Green but that's the main pathway/route for day tickets and very popular for the early birds.
Orange and Red have the silent discos.
Purple is the main route in from brown/white camp and I camped there this year and won't be making that mistake again
The same with yellow, it's a main route in to the arena and has a lot of the food/drinks vendors.

Maybe Brown could be best for you guys, it's not overly crowded and it's close enough but far enough if that makes any sense.

I appreciate your comment. The silent disco was in yellow this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'd say go for the other side of orange, the top corner of orange C on this years map is likely to be less rowdy.

We had a good group this year - I've got my ticket for next year already, I think that's 3 so far that I'm aware of :).

15 hours ago, bca said:

Personally, I'd say go for the other side of orange, the top corner of orange C on this years map is likely to be less rowdy.

We had a good group this year - I've got my ticket for next year already, I think that's 3 so far that I'm aware of :).

Sounds like a great idea. I'll be keen on that! Fantastic :)

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Chris_Hayter88 said:

Thought I read somewhere that 2016 was going to be your last Reading?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/05/2017 at 0:45 PM, Fredwi said:

I am thinking of getting a ticket and going alone, is this thread even active?

There's a few us on Facebook. So far including Mollie it's 4 confirmed (I think Chris said he's coming again). 

Normally a few last minute too as people drop out :).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi so I may be new to these forums, but I am not new to camping as a loner at Reading!

In 2011 I had two tickets but no one to go with as a mate couldn't come, but thankfully I found on this forum via a google search a link to a reading camp loner Facebook group. Well I joined them that year, there was about 40 people from all over the world with a variety of music tastes, all willing to meet new people and have fun!

I have now camped there 6 times and about to hit my 7th, but our numbers have been dropping, we only had 20 last year. So I have taken it upon myself to spread the word for anyone who is stuck by themself who still want to come - or a small group of people wanting to part of a bigger group - come and join us!

we always camp around R7, it means you don't have to lug your stuff far, it's easy to exit and buy beer or go to Wetherspoons for breakfast - yet the stages are just 15 mins away. A silent disco as well in Red, though they have moved the rides away from us recently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218631851508119/ 

that is the link to our Facebook group - everyone is welcome!

Edited by AussieDan

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2017 at 3:18 PM, AussieDan said:

Hi so I may be new to these forums, but I am not new to camping as a loner at Reading!

In 2011 I had two tickets but no one to go with as a mate couldn't come, but thankfully I found on this forum via a google search a link to a reading camp loner Facebook group. Well I joined them that year, there was about 40 people from all over the world with a variety of music tastes, all willing to meet new people and have fun!

I have now camped there 6 times and about to hit my 7th, but our numbers have been dropping, we only had 20 last year. So I have taken it upon myself to spread the word for anyone who is stuck by themself who still want to come - or a small group of people wanting to part of a bigger group - come and join us!

we always camp around R7, it means you don't have to lug your stuff far, it's easy to exit and buy beer or go to Wetherspoons for breakfast - yet the stages are just 15 mins away. A silent disco as well in Red, though they have moved the rides away from us recently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218631851508119/ 

that is the link to our Facebook group - everyone is welcome!

Our numbers are quite low this year too by the looks of it too :P. I've been going since '07 - last few years with CL as it's way easier!!

We're usually in Orange but were going to change this year as there was a lot of shit/things going missing there last year.

Might pay to merge the 2 camps :P I've camped in Red before (when the fairground was there so a few years ago now) and it always used to be pretty quiet - is that still the case?

Is anyone from your group going on Weds? I know the couple of us confirmed are.

Anyway, just sent a request to your group (I only use Facebook for messaging and the CL group so I don't know if I've actually done it right, if it's come through it'll be from a weirdo called Brian). 

On 24/06/2017 at 10:33 PM, bca said:

Our numbers are quite low this year too by the looks of it too :P. I've been going since '07 - last few years with CL as it's way easier!!

We're usually in Orange but were going to change this year as there was a lot of shit/things going missing there last year.

Might pay to merge the 2 camps :P I've camped in Red before (when the fairground was there so a few years ago now) and it always used to be pretty quiet - is that still the case?

Is anyone from your group going on Weds? I know the couple of us confirmed are.

Anyway, just sent a request to your group (I only use Facebook for messaging and the CL group so I don't know if I've actually done it right, if it's come through it'll be from a weirdo called Brian). 

The boys who are admin for the group are at glasto atm so you might not be accepted till next week ha ha. Red is not as quiet as white, but it's pretty safe without being boring. (Touch wood!) nothing has ever been stolen or set on fire! There are always people drinking till late but it's not super crazy. 

Yeah bring our groups together, there usually are 5-10 or so with Wednesday entry with a pub meetup before joining the queue. 

Edited by AussieDan

On 28/06/2017 at 1:48 PM, Livvybrad said:

Hello All, 

I've just been ditched by my friend but still really want to go to Reading this year. I'm getting the early weekend camping, can I join any of you? 

On 27/06/2017 at 9:05 AM, Denise____ said:

Hi All,

I live in Reading and I do have a weekend ticket. Looks like I'm going alone this year... If you are interested to meet up pls msg me:)

More the merrier :)

On 6/28/2017 at 1:48 PM, Livvybrad said:

Hello All, 

I've just been ditched by my friend but still really want to go to Reading this year. I'm getting the early weekend camping, can I join any of you? 

I will be alone too... Let's meet up:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a day ticket for the sunday, purely because Gallagher and Muse combo got me.

I will be alone though :(

Anyone out there with day tickets or weekend tickets who wanna meet up?

Would be keen on chatting on whatsapp or something to see if anyone is compatible with me.

I'm fairly quiet with a varied music taste and like to have a chilled time. I could go alone I'm just a bit nervous I guess and I enjoy company etc.

Laura

x

18 minutes ago, chrlmrstn said:

hiiii,

i'm thinking of heading to reading again this year but none of my friends can make it/are going to leeds instead so i'd be interested in joining any of you if thats cool?

thanks!

Of course!

Think we're going to end up going with the other group - so there will be a few of us (not many of our usual group are going this year).