18 minutes ago, amyg1990 said:

but are they really strong enough bands to go at the top of the bill...and sell the festival out....I dont think so

1975 maybe, if paired with an absolute world-conquering superstar on the other day. Catfish certainly not. Don't think yer man watsonjim was suggesting them to headline though, and they'd be very strong subs.

Edited by Zac Quinn

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

'Yonce sold out six UK stadium dates last summer including two nights at Wembley, even if that temporarily wiped out the demand for her it'd surely have recovered after two years. Especially if she puts out another new album by next summer - and she's never been one to take a lot of time between albums, even when welcoming new babbys into the world - she'd sell V out no questions asked.

Did it def sell out in 2013?  I cant remember?  But yeah cant really argue with much of that.  

15 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

1975 maybe, if paired with an absolute world-conquering superstar on the other day. Catfish certainly not. Don't think yer man watsonjim was suggesting them to headline though, and they'd be very strong subs.

I did mean to headline tbh, i would have though they have a bigger following than 1975?  that may just be because all my nieces and nephews are obsessed with them over 1975 though

I'd love to see Depeche Mode headline. I took my teenage son to their London Stadium show - and there were loads of younger fans there alongside us older ones. Maybe a few decent electronica bands to sub....   that would be a new direction. Let's face it - every major rock/indie  band beginning with the letter K has already headlined V at least once in the past! 

Here is the choice of headliners that were sent out in the email following last year's V. As you can see my choices quite eclectic - based on the fact that I have seen most of the bands on the list. I am not a Foo Fighters fan especially - but their headlining performance at V about 10 years ago was probably one of the most amazing headliners I have ever seen at V - just incredible. I thought Take That and Spice Girls would be fun....   probably more fun than Jay Z ! 

v17 HL.JPG

22 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

the V twitter account just retweeted this, nice neat encapsulation of the problem with the fest IMO https://twitter.com/aalexgrinter/status/897852852315574272

Think my clash finder may get more use than my glitter this weekend...... :) (Although to be honest - the only clash for me is Pink or Rudimental?!)

53 minutes ago, festy-dancer said:

I'd love to see Depeche Mode headline. I took my teenage son to their London Stadium show - and there were loads of younger fans there alongside us older ones. Maybe a few decent electronica bands to sub....   that would be a new direction. Let's face it - every major rock/indie  band beginning with the letter K has already headlined V at least once in the past! 

Here is the choice of headliners that were sent out in the email following last year's V. As you can see my choices quite eclectic - based on the fact that I have seen most of the bands on the list. I am not a Foo Fighters fan especially - but their headlining performance at V about 10 years ago was probably one of the most amazing headliners I have ever seen at V - just incredible. I thought Take That and Spice Girls would be fun....   probably more fun than Jay Z ! 

v17 HL.JPG

Wild list of names that, I'd love to see about half do it whereas the other half I wouldn't go anywhere near. Already seen JT and Beyonce headline it so if I had to pick my top five for next year I'd go Blur, Kanye, F+TM, Fleetwood Mac, Taylor Swift. Would've said Bruno Mars this time last year but his most recent album was abysmal.

Lame that they included past-it no-marks like The Libertines and Blink 182 but drew the line at suggesting newer rock/alternative headliners like QOTSA, 1975 etc. Fair play to them for apparently knowing almost a year before it came out that this album would ruin Katy Perry's headline credentials though.

Edited by Zac Quinn

40 minutes ago, festy-dancer said:

v17 HL.JPG

Oo that’s interesting, personally if any of these bands played id buy tickets :
ACDC AMonkeys Blink Blur BruceS Daft Punk GreenDay GunsnRoses Kasabian Libertines Oasis RHCP Robbie Williams Spice Girls The Stroke Stone roses

However chances of them getting most of them, I’d say are slim…

Out of that lot, Id have hedged my bets on AMonkeys, Daft Punk, Kasabian, Libertines, Robbie Williams and Spice Girls and bought tickets if they produced the goods!

V would be a great place to get Robbie and the Spice Girls on the bill haha!

18 hours ago, watsonjm said:

I did mean to headline tbh, i would have though they have a bigger following than 1975?  that may just be because all my nieces and nephews are obsessed with them over 1975 though

Catfish are growing but they're only playing The smaller arenas like derby and wembley whereas The 1975s are selling out arenas like the 02 and headlining the likes of lattitude. The 1975 are closer to headline status but reading will surely give that to them first.  As a two day festival charging 200 v cant take risks with headliners. 

Nothing mentioned anywhere about next year at all at Hylands that I could see anyway which is really weird if they are planning on coming back next year because surely they'd be doing everything they can to sell tickets after struggling so much this year  

It's a real shame if they don't come back at least for one more year because it was my first year for a while and although the lineup was very poor and I wasn't really expecting much it really exceeded my expectations. 

Also it would be quite upsetting if they did go out with this shit storm of a lineup really so hopefully if they are looking at cancelling the festival they could go for one more year and go out with a massive amazing lineup to save the legacy of the festival, unlikely though. 

A lot of the local facebook pages to Weston park had a lot of complaints relating to the noise. People were claiming that the Weston noise could be heard in villages 10 mile away….. this always happens but this year environmental health were allegedly called in.

I don’t know how true all this is however wouldn’t that make a lovely cover up for V if they do decide to cancel. Didn’t YNOT try to claim their council revoked their licence? It all just seems to be going south for them!