Mark Hollis/ Talk Talk

The Red Telephone

Just returned from spending 3 weeks in beautiful Cornwall, had one of my yearly Talk Talk/ Mark Hollis listening binges. Spirit of Eden/ Laughing Stock and the Mark Hollis solo LP are all definitely in my top 20 albums of all time. Any other love for them/ him on this forum?

Not holding out much hope of a Glastonbury 2017 performance though :wacko:

TALK TALK up there in my top 5 bands of all time .............dont think we will ever get to see them tho ........post deserves a like imo

LLLLIIIKEEEEE

cheers

Love them.

Spirit of Eden is an incredible album. Discovering it a few years ago was utterly revelatory, so ahead of its time and still sounds utterly timeless. Enjoy the later stuff but not as much. Love Colour of Spring too.

A shame we'll not get to see them any time soon, but if they ever felt like a return, I think many would be surprised at how popular they've become in the intervening.

8 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I run/organise a weekly Album Club on another forum and the pick this week is Laughing Stock, what a coincidence.

I'll report back on what I think at the weekend.

Cool - be good if you can supply a link, sould like to read that.

Didn't really "get" Laughing Stock until I listened to it through headphones on a train in America at something like 5am. Whenever I listen to it now, it stays in my head for weeks. After The Flood and New Grass, in particular.

As one of the previous posters has said, those last 2 albums don't seem to age at all, are timeless. That said, I've never heard music like it.

8 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Cool - be good if you can supply a link, sould like to read that.

Didn't really "get" Laughing Stock until I listened to it through headphones on a train in America at something like 5am. Whenever I listen to it now, it stays in my head for weeks. After The Flood and New Grass, in particular.

As one of the previous posters has said, those last 2 albums don't seem to age at all, are timeless. That said, I've never heard music like it.

The even weirder thing is, the guy who picked it has just come back from Cornwall too! I've shown him this haha. 

I'll share some screenshots by the end of the week, it's in a section of a forum (Owlstalk) where you need to be a member to view it. 

50 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

The even weirder thing is, the guy who picked it has just come back from Cornwall too! I've shown him this haha. 

I'll share some screenshots by the end of the week, it's in a section of a forum (Owlstalk) where you need to be a member to view it. 

Nice one

7 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I loved it, a few of the others liked it. There's only a small group of us that pick albums now so those that posted were the main posters.

Sorry, I was being facetious! It looks like it's got a very positive response, despite what some one has said about it being a "marmite" album.