2016 secret sets

martyjhill

Any guesses as to who the secret Big Top headliner/Tipi Tent shows might be? Wilco seemed a good shout but alas they're playing in the US next weekend. 

I have a feeling that The Twilight Sad might do the Big Top slot, but I'm still hoping that Arab Strap, Portishead, or Dinosaur Jr turn up

As for the other surprise shows, a one-off Coachwhips show would be ideal given that Thee Oh Sees are in town. Grandaddy, Connan Mockasin, Charlotte Church, Kamasi Washington or John Cale would be amazing too, but that's purely guess work.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, martyjhill said:

Any guesses as to who the secret Big Top headliner/Tipi Tent shows might be? Wilco seemed a good shout but alas they're playing in the US next weekend. 

I have a feeling that The Twilight Sad might do the Big Top slot, but I'm still hoping that Arab Strap, Portishead, or Dinosaur Jr turn up

As for the other surprise shows, a one-off Coachwhips show would be ideal given that Thee Oh Sees are in town. Grandaddy, Connan Mockasin, Charlotte Church, Kamasi Washington or John Cale would be amazing too, but that's purely guess work.

Generally the 'surprise' slots in the Tipi are acts who are playing the festival anyway. Often good fun, but I shouldn't get overexcited at the prospect of other big names turning up...

Does anyone know if there's any Twitter thing to follow to get info on the secret sets? Do eotr or line of best fit use it during the festival for info on this kind of thing?

Edited by Mardy

@Mardy EOTR sent out news of surprise gigs on Twitter last year, but the signal was so bad onsite that the info usually arrived after the event. On Vodafone anyway!

and I just recognised your signature quote from a Billy Bragg song on Don't Try This At Home (top album).

Edited by paulwa

Hey guys we'll be doing our best to flag up the secret sets and shows and sessions we're putting together at the festival on our twitter (and stuff will also get RTd by eotr too). We'll also be putting notices up around the little hut near the Garden stage and other places around the site. A lot of what we arrange only comes together at the last minute so it's always difficult to let everyone know but we try real hard x

13 hours ago, thelineofbestfit said:

Hey guys we'll be doing our best to flag up the secret sets and shows and sessions we're putting together at the festival on our twitter (and stuff will also get RTd by eotr too). We'll also be putting notices up around the little hut near the Garden stage and other places around the site. A lot of what we arrange only comes together at the last minute so it's always difficult to let everyone know but we try real hard x

Thanks for this, OK, will try to get twitter notifications from you sent directly to my phone then. Appreciate the response.

On 27 August 2016 at 7:26 PM, paulwa said:

@Mardy EOTR sent out news of surprise gigs on Twitter last year, but the signal was so bad onsite that the info usually arrived after the event. On Vodafone anyway!

and I just recognised your signature quote from a Billy Bragg song on Don't Try This At Home (top album).

ah, right, thanks for that. So if I set SMS twitter notifications from both eotr and line of best fit, that'll cover most of it. Nice one.

Yeah, spot on re the BB quote. After 20 odd years living abroad, it seems more apposite than ever.

On Saturday 27 August 2016 at 7:26 PM, paulwa said:

Anyone recommend a network who kept working?  I'll be roaming so was going to buy a sim for data from a local carrier but if the signal is poor on site might not be worth it.

I got Vodafone 2G in the "village" and I think it was choked by volume of traffic more than loss of network, though that also happened. In the campsite I got 3G sometimes and that's when I tended to recieve tweets about secret gigs that had already happened. I saw in tonight's email from EOTR that you can get wi-fi for £10 for the whole weekend, if you consider that a worthy option.

Couple of people in the drowned in sound forums suggesting it's going to be Super Furry Animals. Line If Best Fit are driving home this is going to be a special surprise so don't think it'll be a repeat and the super furries are touring festivals that weekend with a gap to fill on Saturday. They are playing festival no6 on Sunday and are in Ireland on Friday. Still think the Horrors are the most realistic shout but this also sounds like a possibility

The Horrors, Wild Beasts, Super Furry Animals are not the 'surprise' I would be hoping for.  I think I've either seen them all or had the chance to see them all at a fest in the last couple of years.  And I wouldn't be in the least excited by any of them, and whoever it is is going to have to be pretty sh*t hot to follow immediately after Ezra.