2016 secret sets

martyjhill

25 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

The Horrors, Wild Beasts, Super Furry Animals are not the 'surprise' I would be hoping for.  I think I've either seen them all or had the chance to see them all at a fest in the last couple of years.  And I wouldn't be in the least excited by any of them, and whoever it is is going to have to be pretty sh*t hot to follow immediately after Ezra.

Definitely! The way this is being hyped up I'm expecting something really special. And the only band that could round the evening off for me after Ezra would be something lively like Sleater-Kinney or Pixies... but it's not going to happen.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

The Horrors, Wild Beasts, Super Furry Animals are not the 'surprise' I would be hoping for.  I think I've either seen them all or had the chance to see them all at a fest in the last couple of years.  And I wouldn't be in the least excited by any of them, and whoever it is is going to have to be pretty sh*t hot to follow immediately after Ezra.

I think your expectations are set way too high. You're setting yourself up for a disappointment

1 hour ago, Yesiamaduck said:

I think your expectations are set way too high. You're setting yourself up for a disappointment

yeah, absolutely. We're looking at a headliner for the Big Top; looking at previous names, Wild Beasts or SFA would both be a real coup for that stage.

Whilst all these are great suggestions, none of them explain why the show is so secret. You have to get the feeling that it may be some sort of reunion that hasn't been announced yet (Beta Band, yeah I'll get on board with that), or someone that has ONLY announced their own headline shows so far and no festival appearances (Arab Strap?). Or just some bizarre "super-group". I dunno. Could be anything I guess.

2 minutes ago, artbrut_architecture said:

What about Midlake? They've just announced a 10 year anniversary version of Van Occupanther release for October. One of my all-time favourite albums.

Midlake aren't really Midlake anymore after Tim Smith's departure, are they? Antiphon was radically different and they've got a few new members. I reckon they'd have been better off calling it a day, but there you go. I agree with you that Van Occupanther is a great record, as is The Courage of Others

3 hours ago, paulwa said:

People seem to have overlooked that it clashes with BC Camplight, so do you take a risk or head for known quality?

Answer: yes if we hear stronger info on the day that it's SFA or The Beta Band and no if it's The Horrors.

saw BC last weekend so going to take a risk, and run back to BC if it's The Horrors

The Horrors were fantastic last time I saw them, I'd much rather them than SFA I think.

Out of the bands already playing that could do Tipi: Thurston Moore doing a noise/improv set would be great and not *too* unlikely. Maybe Onsind with Martha already playing? King Giz' could do a great rarities set I think, playing all their crazy 20 minute-long stuff - similar with Savages

The surprise set tomorrow (!!!) is 45 minutes - has to be someone relatively big? 

3 hours ago, Martyjhill1 said:

The surprise set tomorrow (!!!) is 45 minutes - has to be someone relatively big? 

Bearing in mind previous Thursday surprises have included Deap Valley and pre-fame Catfish & The Bottlemen, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. Plus it's very unlikely to be someone too similar to the Shins.