Jump to content
Gnomicide

Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Recommended Posts

For some reason I struggle to see Elton taking the legends slot, not because he couldn't but because he wouldn't.  For no reason other than my unfounded preconceptions of the man I get the feeling that he'd take himself too seriously to be the "novelty" act.

But then I'd probably say the same thing about Diana Ross, and I'm all over that as an idea.

Basically I'm operating a complex system of Orwellian doublethink on the Sunday afternoon.  And even I know it makes no sense.  In fact this whole post is pointless, but having typed it I'll be damned if I'm not going to post it.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i doubt it. he's played these shows around Glastonbury for at least the last two years and not played the festival. obviously can't write it off entirely as he'll surely do it someday, but i think it's gonna be Diana Ross next year

He's spoken about retiring at 72 IIRC, if he sticks to that he only has two chances left (taking into account the fallow year) ... he's pretty clearly abandoned his previous 'not sure I'd like playing festivals' stance too now.

Also this is a man famous for wearing stupid glasses, he's as 'let's go and watch the Sunday afternoon novelty act wearing silly costumes' as Dolly.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

He's spoken about retiring at 72 IIRC, if he sticks to that he only has two chances left (taking into account the fallow year) ... he's pretty clearly abandoned his previous 'not sure I'd like playing festivals' stance too now.

Also this is a man famous for wearing stupid glasses, he's as 'let's go and watch the Sunday afternoon novelty act wearing silly costumes' as Dolly.

But he played Bestival three years ago now, toured every June since and, as you say, he suits the slot down to a T so why wouldn't he have given it a go yet? Does seem very much to me like he and his people either think the money isn't right or the afternoon slot isn't right. Can't see him ever playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But he played Bestival three years ago now, toured every June since and, as you say, he suits the slot down to a T so why wouldn't he have given it a go yet? Does seem very much to me like he and his people either think the money isn't right or the afternoon slot isn't right. Can't see him ever playing.

Yeah. Prior to 2016 I accepted that Elton may just not have been booked *yet* because it'd be understandable if they'd offered the slots to Dolly and Lionel before turning to ol' Reginald, but that logic falls down after 2016 because there'd be no justification for ELO being higher up the list than him. Maybe there's a standoff and Glasto are refusing to book him until he agrees to give them a guarantee that he'll play Circle of Life for the BBC montage. Who knows.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i doubt it. he's played these shows around Glastonbury for at least the last two years and not played the festival. obviously can't write it off entirely as he'll surely do it someday, but i think it's gonna be Diana Ross next year

We were saying the same about the acts as well. I think the fact it's Saturday puts it in doubt, if it had been Friday I reckon he could have been high up on Saturday even in the Robert Plant slot but it's a non-runner in thought now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah. Prior to 2016 I accepted that Elton may just not have been booked *yet* because it'd be understandable if they'd offered the slots to Dolly and Lionel before turning to ol' Reginald, but that logic falls down after 2016 because there'd be no justification for ELO being higher up the list than him. Maybe there's a standoff and Glasto are refusing to book him until he agrees to give them a guarantee that he'll play Circle of Life for the BBC montage. Who knows.

Is Lionel a bigger pull than Reg? 

I always thought he'd be a headliner, although a controversial one admittedly. He'd be entitled to think he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As is usually remarked, it's probably that asymmetry that's prevented him being booked.  Too big a deal for the Legends Slot, but not quite a big enough deal to headline it in his own right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Is Lionel a bigger pull than Reg? 

I always thought he'd be a headliner, although a controversial one admittedly. He'd be entitled to think he is. 

I know that Elton headlined at Bonnaroo while Lionel Richie subbed Jack White the day before. Though Lionel Richie apparently pulled a pitiful crowd headlining at Outside Lands this year up against Lana Del Rey so maybe the festivalgoers in the States aren't as weird as we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elton would be massive, and I'm sure the festival would accommodate him any way they could (although I can't see him headlining). I agree with others - it comes down to whether he'd choose to do it or not. Dolly really put the legend slot on the map as the fourth headliner slot, and potentially the act with the largest crowd of the weekend. If Elton took it, he'd likely be the media face of the festival, not that he needs that exposure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Elton would be massive, and I'm sure the festival would accommodate him any way they could (although I can't see him headlining). I agree with others - it comes down to whether he'd choose to do it or not. Dolly really put the legend slot on the map as the fourth headliner slot, and potentially the act with the largest crowd of the weekend. If Elton took it, he'd likely be the media face of the festival, not that he needs that exposure.

Given that his dates are much smaller places now and he doesn't sell all of them out I'm  not so sure it wouldn't help him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not a slot for novelty acts.

My wording.  I wonder if that's how EJ would perceive it, not that I believe it's for novelties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps - but one look at the other performers who've played it would surely convince him that it's pretty good company to keep.

If anything it's the muted reception that ELO got that might go some way to dissuading him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ELO got a muted response because they weren't very good though. He clearly wasn't interested in being there, pretty much said in his post gig interview his manager had to force him to play. 

 

Dolly and Lionel nailed it because they wanted to do it and brought their A game. I guess it comes down to whether Elton really wants to do it or not. If he's not fussed then he should stay away as it has the potential to be shite. If he really wants to do it, then it could be legendary, up there with Dolly and Lionel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perhaps - but one look at the other performers who've played it would surely convince him that it's pretty good company to keep.

If anything it's the muted reception that ELO got that might go some way to dissuading him.

Quite possibly.  Like I said, I have nothing to go on other than my own baseless thought processes!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nikkic said:

ELO got a muted response because they weren't very good though. He clearly wasn't interested in being there, pretty much said in his post gig interview his manager had to force him to play. 

True to an extent, but they seemed to be hit pretty hard by a crowd deep in the middle of a mid Sunday afternoon lethargy that just wouldn't shift.

They did their usual performance and it sounded pretty good, but I agree that they treated it just like any other gig on their tour.  A bit of interaction from Jeff would have gone a long way, but that's just how he is, I guess.  It's not like Glasto got singled out for a bad gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Elton John playing Leeds Arena on 8 June, a possible Pyramid slot may not be out of the question?

 

(Apologies! Posting on mobile and didn't see the rest of the thread :) )

Edited by Chopmunky
Miatake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elton always tours in June, I think. I'm pretty sure Glasto would be there for the taking (legend slot) but didn't Emily say that slot is already filled? I seem to recall reading she's booked that slot already. Legends will need maximum notice, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He may have been talking out of his hat, but #RightBazza has already strongly suggested that it's Diana Ross, so that seems to rule Elton out this year again.

I dunno.  He absolutely should play, but it's hard to see when.  An extended sub-headliner a la Leonard Cohen or Roger Waters might be the most satisfactory result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

This makes the most sense. Give him 90 minutes in the evening. Could be perfect timing too to close with "Don't let the sun....." if they time it right.

The sun going down while he sings Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me is the complete opposite of perfect timing.

The extended sub / co-headliner thing could work but it could also work any time they have loads of headliners they need to fit in. If he's up for it - he very well might not be - I don't see why they don't have him headline. If Glastonbury was a festival where they only let the most relevant, cutting edge superstars of today headline then fair enough but it ain't and Elton has the most hits of anyone so let's do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Not if it stops!

If he sends it the other way and reverses the rotation of the Earth forever then he's big enough to headline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't anyone think Elton could do a Stevie and jump into an unexpected headliner slot? While he player much smaller gigs now, he certainly has the back catalogue and charisma to pull a blinding set!

With regards to who's touring (and on the topic of Stevies), Stevie Nicks is on tour in the US at the begining of the year. She would be most welcome anywhere on the Pyramid Stage!

Edited by Justiceforcedave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×