Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

55 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

The Flaming Lips are playing Brighton Dome on 27th of June

i reckon they must be Friday if they are going to play. Playing on the Sunday would mean a 4 day run of Hull, Glasto, Norwich, Brighton 

Suppose it isn't impossible, but playing on the friday means they would have the Sunday off 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

i reckon they must be Friday if they are going to play. Playing on the Sunday would mean a 4 day run of Hull, Glasto, Norwich, Brighton 

Suppose it isn't impossible, but playing on the friday means they would have the Sunday off 

Friday clash with Radiohead would be dreadful. Unless they sub them again in which case it'd be the greatest thing ever.

Just now, kingbadger said:

Friday clash with Radiohead would be dreadful. Unless they sub them again in which case it'd be the greatest thing ever.

I don't think it consigns them to Friday but even if they are, they could be middle of the Other Stage running too. Maybe even third or fourth down Pyramid as well.

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I'd love that! Don't see why not, they surely would realise it would be a terrible clash if they were both on a headline slot the same night.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think it consigns them to Friday but even if they are, they could be middle of the Other Stage running too. Maybe even third or fourth down Pyramid as well.

Yeah to be fair they are inexplicably playing before TDCC at Boardmasters, so any thing is possible. They just seem to suit a headline set much more, given the length of set they need and definitely suiting the dark more. But not implausible. Flaming Lips into Radiohead would be the stuff of dreams.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Pyramid sub normally 75mins, (unless your grumpy Morrissey and cut it short) same as a lot of other headline slots. Some JP headliners only get an hour. 

JPT always seems to be a bit of a mix, Fatboy Slim did 90 minutes as sub last year I recall! Saw Lips do about 75 minutes at Victorious a couple of years back, would say that's the minimum for them to really do their thing, think even then they only played 8-9 songs.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They only did 3 songs on their own tour apparently so can't see them doing many at Glastonbury. It's really grown on me recently though, especially the 2nd half. 

I'd imagine they'd do There Should Be Unicorns, given the money they invested in having an actual unicorn made up.

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Out of interest, how come The Flaming Lips are considered Pyramid Stage sub contenders, and, say, the Manics aren't? I know the latter's stock isn't as high as previously, but surely they're a bigger proposition (still play arenas, small stadiums etc) than the Lips?

The Flaming Lips are not going to sub the pyramid at Glastonbury Festival 2017

I don't see the Lips on the Pyramid stage at all. They be 3rd from the top at most, and that seems like a really weird slot for them. They definitely won't clash with Radiohead on the Friday, so if they are on that day perhaps Other stage sub?

46 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Out of interest, how come The Flaming Lips are considered Pyramid Stage sub contenders, and, say, the Manics aren't? I know the latter's stock isn't as high as previously, but surely they're a bigger proposition (still play arenas, small stadiums etc) than the Lips?

I only mentioned that slot as a possibility (though very much unlikely) as they subbed in 2003, at the request of Radiohead. The new tour dates suggest Friday is more likely, which is when Radiohead are playing. It's highly unlikely they'll sub Radiohead again, but it's a pipedream of mine as would love to see both, and a Radiohead/Lips clash is the stuff of nightmares for most people.

Edited by kingbadger

53 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I don't think either are contenders to sub the Pyramid. Or even close.

But simply comparing relative slots the last couple times they played suggests that the Glastonbury bookers see one act as a bigger draw than the other

Flaming Lips headlined the Other Stage in 2010, and subbed on the Pyramid in 2003.

Manics played 3rd from top on the Other Stage in 2014, and 3rd from top on the Pyramid in 2007.

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

2/3 of last years subs were acts that were expected play third down until we got the times tbf. And let's not forget that the year before they booked Paul fucking Weller to sub. Basically, that slot is weird.

Muse subbing Ed Sheeran playing Black Holes and Revelations in full with an orchestra #confirmed