Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'm convinced that gaga just isn't playing, Glastonbury subs have never been that big

Who are our contenders for subbing anyway?

The XX, Lorde (under sheeran), Paolo Nutini would be my guess

I can't see Elbow subbing - they are way past it

People have seem to have mentioned Biffy Clyro, Lady Gaga, Royal Blood, Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow, The XX, Lorde (in the last couple of hours), Nutini plus plenty more.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'm convinced that gaga just isn't playing, Glastonbury subs have never been that big

Who are our contenders for subbing anyway?

The XX, Lorde (under sheeran), Paolo Nutini would be my guess

I can't see Elbow subbing - they are way past it

The xx, Lady Gaga, Royal Blood and Elbow are the most likely ones for me.

I agree on Gaga seeming too big but she does seem like she's playing so I'm going with it for now. I also thought Florence was too big in 2015 but she was booked to do it.

No chance of Lorde subbing imo.

Just now, sisco said:

People have seem to have mentioned Biffy Clyro, Lady Gaga, Royal Blood, Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow, The XX, Lorde (in the last couple of hours), Nutini plus plenty more.

Biffy headlining download so I doubt it
Lady Gaga - possibly but I just think that she's too big
Not too sure about Royal Blood subbing... unless its something that the Foos request
Kaiser Chiefs aren't gonna go from JP headline to subbing pyramid
Elbow - would be pretty repetitive for them to sub again... considering they've fallen even further since 2014
The XX - nailed in my opinion
Paolo Nutini i think is a decent shout, although nothing has been announced on his front yet... he could be headlining V festival?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Not too sure about Royal Blood subbing... unless its something that the Foos request
Elbow - would be pretty repetitive for them to sub again... considering they've fallen even further since 2014
Paolo Nutini i think is a decent shout, although nothing has been announced on his front yet... he could be headlining V festival?

Add to that as well Bon Iver, Emeli Sande and Iggy Pop (all suggested at some point)

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

The xx, Lady Gaga, Royal Blood and Elbow are the most likely ones for me.

I agree on Gaga seeming too big but she does seem like she's playing so I'm going with it for now. I also thought Florence was too big in 2015 but she was booked to do it.

No chance of Lorde subbing imo.

I don't really see Gaga and Florence comparable. I still feel that Lady Gaga could headline Glastonbury (not this year of course - but that she would be an option one year).

I think Royal Blood would fit 3rd down much safer

Radiohead / The XX
Ed Sheeran / Lorde
Foo Fighters / Paolo Nutini 

works in my mind. I'm having a night in doing some reading (drinking rum) and trying to distract myself so i'm allowing this to rack my brain

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

not sure I agree but hey ho

Every festival she's been announced for thus far has been that kind of slot.

I think she's an act that demands a relatively high slot (probably because she's coming all the way from hecking new zealand)

Not Werchter - her only European show where she's (currently) fourth down the bill.

She's so much bigger in the US and that's why she subs at some festivals there. She's a fraction of that in the UK.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Not Werchter - her only European show where she's (currently) fourth down the bill.

She's so much bigger in the US and that's why she subs at some festivals there. She's a fraction of that in the UK.

Doesn't Werchter have two headliners a day? So she's technically third down?

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Biffy - I just can't understand why they aren't tagged as an exclusive for download if they aren't playing somewhere else

Gaga - Rumours seem to indicate it's her

Kaisers - Was a random mention by someone the other day with info... seems very unlikely

Elbow - Don't think they'll play

The XX - yep that's another 1

Nutini - Don't reckon he'll be there

Bon Iver - Don't think so either

Royal Blood - 3rd down or subbing Other is my thoughts personally

Iggy Pop - same as Royal Blood

Emeli Sande - Possibly

Lorde - just can't see her subbing

Any more I've missed??

Edited by sisco

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't really see Gaga and Florence comparable. I still feel that Lady Gaga could headline Glastonbury (not this year of course - but that she would be an option one year).

I think Royal Blood would fit 3rd down much safer

Radiohead / The XX
Ed Sheeran / Lorde
Foo Fighters / Paolo Nutini 

works in my mind. I'm having a night in doing some reading (drinking rum) and trying to distract myself so i'm allowing this to rack my brain

But Florence could easily have headlined Glasto in 2015, as she eventually proved.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Doesn't Werchter have two headliners a day? So she's technically third down?

Don't think that makes a difference. Just because they have 2 headliners that doesn't mean they then have the budget to book everyone a slot lower than usual. First year I went to Leeds The National were third down on a day with co-headliners. They definitely weren't technically a sub.

Lorde is playing below Imagine Dragons on that Werchter lineup, who also wouldn't sub at Glasto.

1 hour ago, sisco said:

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Add to that as well Bon Iver, Emeli Sande and Iggy Pop (all suggested at some point)

Sande and Iggy aren't subbing, there isn't a chance of Iggy subbing.

41 minutes ago, sisco said:

If I had to guess now, I'd go with:

Radiohead, The XX, Royal Blood

Ed Sheeran, Emeli Sande, Lorde

Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, Kaiser Chiefs

The XX, Gaga and Nutini for me although I can see the logic in KC given they would accept a shorter set with FF having a large one provided they are Sunday. I do however think your 3rds are big shouts and I'd probably stay there Sunday which is something I rarely do.

Noel is getting massively overlooked on here for the sub slot. Got to be a big contender. New album due to be complete before the festival. Seems ideal timing for him really, rather than last year, where he had toured the life out of his last album.

14 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Noel is getting massively overlooked on here for the sub slot. Got to be a big contender. New album due to be complete before the festival. Seems ideal timing for him really, rather than last year, where he had toured the life out of his last album.

If there's a single out by then, fair point.  The U2 dates don't start til the week after. Could see him subbing Foos - he'd balk at Radiohead and would only be marginally warmer to Mr Sheeran.

I just realised I missed an entire page of Maiden-related comments that I am responsible for, so my humble apologies to anyone sucked into the loveable nonsense that is Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter. 

(Re million sellers, pretty certain Robson and Jerome's I Believe sold a million too? Excuse me whilst I shudder.)

Edited by DownboundTrain52

43 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Appreciate the offer Gazza, but to be honest I'd already achieved that. 

Haha fair. Royals was the most overrated song.

39 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I think it's due to him having plenty of opportunity before to do it, I do think though if he doesn't this year then that's it.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Haha fair. Royals was the most overrated song.

I think it's due to him having plenty of opportunity before to do it, I do think though if he doesn't this year then that's it.

I think he will be back with his brother when the 50th anniversary arrives. It just depends on whether they will go purely for the money, or would be open to play. Unless Noel has managed to do the unexpected and write something which catches the imagination of a new audience. Can't see him being happy playing to mid-size crowds forever with his ego.

Edited by Alan_C

9 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I think he will be back with his brother when the 50th anniversary arrives. It just depends on whether they will go purely for the money, or would be open to play. Unless Noel has managed to do the unexpected and write something which catches the imagination of a new audience. Can't see him being happy playing to mid-size crowds forever with his ego.

Yeah it won't be Glasto right off but I agree that it won't be too log before it's Oasis again.

I'd go for The xx, Gaga and Bon Iver as the three subs. Would be a strong trio of acts in my opinion, and a good compliment to the headliners.

The Biffy thing is interesting though. Of all the acts mentioned they certainly would be the ideal support for Foo Fighters. Sounds a bit too R+L though so it's perhaps a long shot.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

I'd go for The xx, Gaga and Bon Iver as the three subs. Would be a strong trio of acts in my opinion, and a good compliment to the headliners.

The Biffy thing is interesting though. Of all the acts mentioned they certainly would be the ideal support for Foo Fighters. Sounds a bit too R+L though so it's perhaps a long shot.

I'd putting Biffy down as a sub if SOAD had been named as an exclusive like Aerosmith too but they haven't. The only thing going against that is that SOAD don't really have somewhere else they can play and wouldn't announce any venues or play a larger selection like Biffy would due to less wide appeal.

2 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Disagreed. Royals was a cracking pop tune.

I also think Nutini could sub and also be one of the three headliners at not t in the park in the city alongside Radiohead.

Just wasn't my kind of pop tune, Tennis Courts of that's what it was called was a little better in my view.

Yes he could, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't get him again as I think there is a mutual liking there.