Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

7 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

I just think they're a lot smaller than the recent subs we've had. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how big Royal Blood are.

Agreed - especially as the initial (imo, undeserved) hype will have died down, especially if the second record is as 1 dimensional as the first. Even more so if that one dimension is the exact same one as their debut. Although I guess if they're playing before Foo Fighters then maybe that's a good thing. 

Edited by Tuna

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Alt-J are far too dull to be Other headliners.

they were 3rd Pyramid 2 years ago and have done absolutely zero to get bumped up to headlining Other.

Definitely not a factor when booking Other Stage headliners.

And they headlined Latitude, did a few arenas and are apparently bringing out a new album. Don't see what more they could do, particularly if it's true that they were apparently offered the Other Stage headline slot last time.

7 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Agreed - especially as the initial (imo, undeserved) hype will have died down, especially if the second record is as 1 dimensional as the first. Even more so if that one dimension is the exact same one as their debut. Although I guess if they're playing before Foo Fighters then maybe that's a good thing. 

I mean, it might happen but I don't understand why you'd expect people to ditch a rock band because they fail to change their sound. That's much more of a hope, surely. 300k people bought that album on these isles and as you say, all the tracks going into it were extremely one-dimensional, so I don't think they'll suddenly turn their back on them.

Edited by dentalplan

I thought they were great last time they played, I think that was before the album came out? I don't reckon they need to change too much on this album, most acts 1st & 2nd albums are pretty similar, it's when you hit the difficult 3rd album™ that people start wanting something a little different. Though Iron Maiden have never bothered.

To hit sub status though they will need two massive lead off singles. 

Just now, dentalplan said:

I mean, it might happen but I don't understand why you'd expect people to ditch a rock band because they fail to change their sound. That's much more of a hope, surely. 300k people bought that album on these isles and as you say, all the tracks going into it were extremely one-dimensional, so I don't think they'll suddenly turn their back on them.

I guess you have more faith than me that people would be engaged watching an hour of that in such a prominent position. It's the same issue that Joe public would have with someone like Sigur Ros as well, though, so. 

Royal Blood are big enough to sub whether we agree with that or not. If they are playing (which now seems very likely) then i'd expect them to sub the foo's. Were playing 3rd down on stages off the back of one album so can't doubt that they would be big enough for higher.

Personally think they'll be 3rd on the Pyramid. The booking would have already been made so nobody will know how the albums gone down before the stage placement will have been decided.  

Much like Ed Sheehan when he was booked 3rd down before his last album

Edited by sisco

54 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Royal Blood are big enough to sub whether we agree with that or not. If they are playing (which now seems very likely) then i'd expect them to sub the foo's. Were playing 3rd down on stages off the back of one album so can't doubt that they would be big enough for higher.

They were only playing 3Rd down at one festival because they were on an exclusive. Without that tag it would have been a slot lower easy.

15 minutes ago, sisco said:

Personally think they'll be 3rd on the Pyramid. The booking would have already been made so nobody will know how the albums gone down before the stage placement will have been decided.  

Much like Ed Sheehan when he was booked 3rd down before his last album

They don't need to know, they have to try and anticipate it. That's why bookers will get album previews several months in advance. That Ed Sheeran booking was still a significant bump even if they didn't fully realise he'd be a stadium headliner a year later.

In Royal Blood's case, they've sold out three or four consecutive UK tours mostly on the day, drawn huge crowds to every UK festival show they've done, fastest selling rock debut since Arctic Monkeys (unless you count Noel G), platinum selling, Mercury nominted album... it's easy to anticipate where they're going from there isn't it? It's actually the lack of foresight that's keeping them from headlining festivals next year never mind subbing.

If anyone's wondering why I'm so well versed in this Royal Blood bullshit it's because this argument has happened every few days in the R+L forum. With Gazza most of the time, naturally. :lol:

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They don't need to know, they have to try and anticipate it. That's why bookers will get album previews several months in advance. That Ed Sheeran booking was still a significant bump even if they didn't fully realise he'd be a stadium headliner a year later.

In Royal Blood's case, they've sold out three or four consecutive UK tours mostly on the day, drawn huge crowds to every UK festival show they've done, fastest selling rock debut since Arctic Monkeys (unless you count Noel G), platinum selling, Mercury nominted album... it's easy to anticipate where they're going from there isn't it? It's actually the lack of foresight that's keeping them from headlining festivals next year never mind subbing.

If anyone's wondering why I'm so well versed in this Royal Blood bullshit it's because this argument has happened every few days in the R+L forum. With Gazza most of the time, naturally. :lol:

Genuinely didn't know they had toured so many times or were so high at all the festivals they've played. 

I really like Royal Blood myself, just didn't realise they were that big

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I agree with dental here, selling an album that went platinum to a group that are more into streaming now (young people) is a massive accomplishment and the fact it'll be two years since their last UK show after a couple of tours that sold out fast will push their stock up a bit more.

Personally, I liked a couple of the singles they released from the first record but that's only because I love all the bands that Royal Blood nick stuff from.

4 hours ago, 01seb said:

Yeah I think that Royal Blood are a big deal, but not that huge.

3rd down on the Pyramid or subbing Other seems like the right place for them. Still a massive slot, but they aren't quite up the subbing Pyramid yet I reckon. 

I think that too many people are placing them based on a new massive seeking album and huge tour etc etc and are forgetting that the position you have mentioned which I think is correct is a slot that others further in advance of these have done.

So that's one of the Pyramid sub/Other headliner slots done and dusted.. five from the seven of Lady Gaga, Paolo Nutini, Royal Blood, Elbow, Alt-J, Frank Ocean and The Weeknd for the remaining slots. Currently I'd say the most likely resolution, if you can call it that, would appear to be Frank Ocean doing Parklife as his second festival, and The Weeknd being a Wireless exclusive. Which would leave The XX, Gaga and Royal Blood as Pyramid subs; and Paolo, Elbow and Alt-J as Other headliners. But it could just as easily mean Royal Blood are booked for third down, Glastonbury have finally realised nobody cares about Elbow any more, or Alt-J are exclusives at Reading. All to play for really.

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

So that's one of the Pyramid sub/Other headliner slots done and dusted.. five from the seven of Lady Gaga, Paolo Nutini, Royal Blood, Elbow, Alt-J, Frank Ocean and The Weeknd for the remaining slots. Currently I'd say the most likely resolution, if you can call it that, would appear to be Frank Ocean doing Parklife as his second festival, and The Weeknd being a Wireless exclusive. Which would leave The XX, Gaga and Royal Blood as Pyramid subs; and Paolo, Elbow and Alt-J as Other headliners. But it could just as easily mean Royal Blood are booked for third down, Glastonbury have finally realised nobody cares about Elbow any more, or Alt-J are exclusives at Reading. All to play for really.

Bon Iver?