Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Doesn't anyone think Elton could do a Stevie and jump into an unexpected headliner slot? While he player much smaller gigs now, he certainly has the back catalogue and charisma to pull a blinding set!

It's obviously not impossible, but bookings like that seem to be the exception rather than the rule and it doesn't look like there's any space left at the top of the bill in 2017.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/09/2016 at 7:47 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perhaps - but one look at the other performers who've played it would surely convince him that it's pretty good company to keep.

If anything it's the muted reception that ELO got that might go some way to dissuading him.

ELO were great I thought - the muted reception was only due the weather. The mud had begun to dry out enough to become a thick gloop impeding dancing and then it started raining making it slippery to boot! 

The people around me were having a great time - just won't have come across on TV very well I guess. 

Both White Lies & Kaiser Chiefs have got a new album/gigs coming up. Other Stage for both?

The Killers seem to be doing a big of touring for the 10th anniversary of Sam's Town, and a new album is supposed to be out early next year.

Edited by Cpotey

38 minutes ago, Cpotey said:

Both White Lies & Kaiser Chiefs have got a new album/gigs coming up. Other Stage for both?

The Killers seem to be doing a big of touring for the 10th anniversary of Sam's Town, and a new album is supposed to be out early next year.

34 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Christ this is a depressing post.

Could live without Killers but I'd be more than happy with White Lies

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Could live without Killers but I'd be more than happy with White Lies

White Lies I'd happily see. I loved them until the last album and have seen them four times. They were good each time other than when they were mid-Main Stage at Leeds. They were brilliant when I saw them in an academy in 2011 so I'd be happy to see them get a slot a couple from top in the JP. Wouldn't be rushing to see them but would give them a watch if there's nothing else on.

18 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

White Lies I'd happily see. I loved them until the last album and have seen them four times. They were good each time other than when they were mid-Main Stage at Leeds. They were brilliant when I saw them in an academy in 2011 so I'd be happy to see them get a slot a couple from top in the JP. Wouldn't be rushing to see them but would give them a watch if there's nothing else on.

Ah, now I've not seen them before so it'd be a first for me.  Either in JP or late on Other would suit me, feel like they'd need a bit of darkness or at least half light to come across properly.

Big TV gets a regular listen chez Quark, looking forward to their new one

On 14/09/2016 at 8:42 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

He may have been talking out of his hat, but #RightBazza has already strongly suggested that it's Diana Ross, so that seems to rule Elton out this year again.

I dunno.  He absolutely should play, but it's hard to see when.  An extended sub-headliner a la Leonard Cohen or Roger Waters might be the most satisfactory result.

Bazza, Bazza, who the fuck is Bazza?

50 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I saw White Lies loads of times between 2009 and 2011.  Unfortunately the second album was not as good as their first and their third was the worst of the lot in my opinion.  Just hope they can find it again for album number 4.

17 hours ago, Madyaker said:

U2 will be touring and have unfinished business considering their last set wasn't as great as most would have hoped.

It cost U2 £2m to play Glastonbury , not sure they will be so charitable again.

I think The Nal or Wooderson will confirm that U2 will never return to Glasto

4 minutes ago, ivan said:

I saw White Lies loads of times between 2009 and 2011.  Unfortunately the second album was not as good as their first and their third was the worst of the lot in my opinion.  Just hope they can find it again for album number 4.

Always interesting how opinions on relative album qualities differ :)

6 minutes ago, ivan said:

It cost U2 £2m to play Glastonbury , not sure they will be so charitable again.

I think The Nal or Wooderson will confirm that U2 will never return to Glasto

Why the high cost? Maybe I'm missing something but they didn't do anything particularly spectacular did they? Unless it's costs from elsewhere I'm not factoring in

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Why the high cost? Maybe I'm missing something but they didn't do anything particularly spectacular did they? Unless it's costs from elsewhere I'm not factoring in

I think it was defo a factor in them playing that for their kit etc etc whatever it entailed, Glastonbury paid them the standard fee and the band footed the bill for the rest. They can't pay that again with the guarantee that it won't piss it down again and they defo made after comments about the distance from the crowd to what they are used to playing with every other gig nowadays.

19 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It was mentioned in their book From The Ground Up which was about the 360 Tour and included  a chapter about their Glastonbury appearance.  I got it in a £ shop unbelievably.  I wonder if a publisher lost a shit load on the books as well ?

They are not my favourite band   but the hardback book is a lovely piece of work and compliments another I got from a car boot sale for £2 which documents all their tours upto  Zoo TV I think .  

I think most of the £2m was the loss of a show they would have played in the US had they not appeared at Glasto