Best arrival time?

Bethanyyyyrr

Basically my sister, friend and I are traveling down from Wales to come to reading this year so our estimated travel time is around 3 hours without considering the delays.

There has been an argument between my sister and I on what time we need to leave, I personally believe that we are better off leaving earlier as we are going to encounter traffic regardless of what time and I personally would rather get there before it gets dark. Whereas she believes we are better off leaving later on as she feels that we will be avoiding the majority of the traffic.

Basically I'm asking you what time you suggest arriving by? (Tent is pre pitched so that's not a issue but bringing all our stuff is)

We're coming from Swansea so about a 3 hours journey also. Gates open at 8am and we'll be aiming to arrive at about 7/half 7. After Glastonbury this year we aren't taking chances, we got lucky at Glasto and got in after an hour, but people we knew spent 8+ hours in queues. 

I'd rather be in much much earlier, and then sleep/smoke the rest of the day away. To be honest I see no benefits to leaving it later, campsites will be more full, there might be less traffic but it will probably still be a nightmare. Just go early and dont get stressed if ya get caught in anything. 

9 minutes ago, JamieKThomas said:

We're coming from Swansea so about a 3 hours journey also. Gates open at 8am and we'll be aiming to arrive at about 7/half 7. After Glastonbury this year we aren't taking chances, we got lucky at Glasto and got in after an hour, but people we knew spent 8+ hours in queues. 

I'd rather be in much much earlier, and then sleep/smoke the rest of the day away. To be honest I see no benefits to leaving it later, campsites will be more full, there might be less traffic but it will probably still be a nightmare. Just go early and dont get stressed if ya get caught in anything. 

Thank you so much for the reply! I understand that she thinks that she will beat the ques but it baffles me how she doesn't understand that there will be ques all day and possibly all night.

hope you have a great time at reading! :)

Traffic is normally a lot easier to navigate early on through Reading. The flow of people through the site on Thursday is pretty much constant from opening time to about 8 or 9 at night. Every year we have arrived at around 8am in the green car park and then got the boat down to the main green entrance. It's varied each year but we've waited as long as an hour to get on the boat with all of our stuff because of queues.

Once you get off the boat there's always a chance that you'll be queuing for another hour if they're being strict on searching people at the wristband exchange. Then once you're finally in the site you the need to take your stuff over to wherever it is you're pitching up.

As you're in the pre-pitched area (I assume pink moon) then I guess you're in the white car park and I'm also not sure on the rules for collecting your wristband there as I've never used that entrance but I'd assume something similar to Green.