Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

14 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

They haven't in fairness, they could've done V. I suspect they wouldn't be doing it without the GOTR tie-in. A band curating multiple main stages for a whole day of a major festival isn't something that's been done before I don't think, at least not in the UK

Think you're both right. Their stock has fallen but not to the extent where they're a standard Latitude headliner. Going forward, however, I don't think they'll headline a major festival again. Whether that means playing lower slots at Glasto/Reading or just headlining festivals of decreasing sizes I dunno.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Btw are they actually curating it or is it just their own brand, Baaba Maal, The Very Best and loads of acts Latitude woulda booked anyway?

They're at least claiming to have handpicked the line up. And as I say, the likes of Ben Howard and Jack Garratt have supported them before, so it'd be a funky old coincidence if they had just been booked normally rather than at the behest of Marcus, although I grant you it's not like a load of bands Latitude would never normally go near have turned up 

3 hours ago, PresentlyTense said:

Placebo would be an equally uninspiring headliner, even if they are a better band. They weren't even big enough to headline in their heyday.

Only in this country, they headline festivals all over Europe almost yearly.... great band, very tight live and have some great hits... sadly not popular enough in the UK to headline 

18 minutes ago, FluxFestivals said:

When is the Longitude announcement today? I feel like its going to be better than Latitude's.

Mumfords are claiming to have handpicked a day of that as well, what with that and the usual crossover between the two anyway it'd seem optimistic to expect much of an improvement... suppose they could always pull a worldie like Kendrick Lamar out again though.

13 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Mumfords are claiming to have handpicked a day of that as well, what with that and the usual crossover between the two anyway it'd seem optimistic to expect much of an improvement... suppose they could always pull a worldie like Kendrick Lamar out again though.

True, they will have Mumford and probably the 1975 but could have a good third headliner?!

I was so looking forward to this festival. Consistantly my favourite line up of any festival, pretty much every year. But can't help feeling massively disappointed. I keep reading through the line up, hoping I'll spot something I missed before, but it's not happening. Pretty gutted I already bought my ticket, as I don't think I would be bothering if I'd waitied to see the line up.

1 minute ago, FluxFestivals said:

True, they will have Mumford and probably the 1975 but could have a good third headliner?!

Won't be the 1975 as their set at Latitude is the last on their run supporting their latest album and they're headlining Friday so they're ruled out.

4 minutes ago, FluxFestivals said:

Yes possibly. Fleet Foxes are in Ireland on the Thursday and Friday though so it'd be very logical for them to do the Saturday night, notwithstanding the fact that'd mean they had gigs four nights in a row.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Think you're both right. Their stock has fallen but not to the extent where they're a standard Latitude headliner. Going forward, however, I don't think they'll headline a major festival again. Whether that means playing lower slots at Glasto/Reading or just headlining festivals of decreasing sizes I dunno.

If IOW is still a thing then I could see them headlining there next time they're around, though I suppose you'd probably have to ask why they never got them this year given the state of the headliners they've scrambled together if they were interested in them. It seems weird to think they might start playing lower slots at major festivals already as we've not really had a band who've gone from headlining them to playing lower down in the last 10 years or so but I imagine them and Biffy will be next for that.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Whatever can be said, getting Mumford to headline this is pretty massive, they are streets ahead of Fleet Foxes and The 1975.

I'm all honesty, The 1975 are just about on par with Mumford. With only two albums, they sold out two nights at the O2 and a night in Madison Square Garden as well as various other arenas and they're still rising so I'd say these are two pretty good acts for Latitude to get

11 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

I'm all honesty, The 1975 are just about on par with Mumford. With only two albums, they sold out two nights at the O2 and a night in Madison Square Garden as well as various other arenas and they're still rising so I'd say these are two pretty good acts for Latitude to get

Yes I'd agree. On the face of it it's just another band being shamelessly tested by FR as a Latitude headliner before potentially being plonked on top of the bill at Reading on their next album, but whereas Alt-J/Two Door/Maccabees were already starting to plateau by that point, The 1975 are more like Foals and Florence, caught at exactly the right time.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Only in this country, they headline festivals all over Europe almost yearly.... great band, very tight live and have some great hits... sadly not popular enough in the UK to headline 

I'm a fan. Or I was,  anyway. But to see them headline a festival in 2017 would have surprised me. They're good but not a band that would make many buy a festival ticket. Better than the actual headliners though. 

My analysis:

Just remember capacity is 39,999 and there's going to be about 15,000 who go every year no matter what the lineup due to its family friendly nature and the arts. 

I reckon the headliners are good for the festival, I'm just disappointed about the two similar headline acts ( I know nothing about Fleet Foxes- I thought they were the size of 'Of Monsters and Men' haha)

1975 trump The Maccabees 

Mumford and sons (size wise) trump The National 

New Order wins the battle of the sundays.

The daily lineup breakdown on the website makes the lineup look ten times better than the poster, the poster is bizarre, it just needs a few additions.

39 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

No they are aren't, Mumford have sold out their own outdooright shows, headlined R&L outright and headlined BST last year.....there is a massive difference. You can telling me this will be The 1975 on their next album and you may be correct, but it isn't now.

This is a bugger example than R&L to why people could understand the undercard to be not quite there. 

28 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yes I'd agree. On the face of it it's just another band being shamelessly tested by FR as a Latitude headliner before potentially being plonked on top of the bill at Reading on their next album, but whereas Alt-J/Two Door/Maccabees were already starting to plateau by that point, The 1975 are more like Foals and Florence, caught at exactly the right time.

Are we comparing the size of Foals or any of those others to Mumford?

Just now, thewayiam said:

Are we comparing the size of Foals or any of those others to Mumford?

no, I'm saying that whereas the last few 'test' headliners bestowed upon Latitude (Maccabees, Alt-J, TDCC) had started to plateau or even decline by that point, The 1975 keep getting bigger, so they're in the same boat Florence and Foals were when they did it. In all honesty I'm not sure Maccabees were ever there to be 'tested' as a potential R+L headliner because they never were a potential R+L headliner by any reasonable metric, but for the sake of making a point it works.