scatteredscreens

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Only just seen this.

What a disingenuous bag of shit!

Mumford & Sons want to ensure that they do not get an embarrassingly small crowd, so are reducing the options when they're on! Which is (a) crappy and (b) unnecessary - I have no interest, nor any huge dislike for them, but they'll pull a huge crowd. Especially at Latitude :P

Ben

I might not go just to be stubborn and bloody minded.

Pop back to the campsite , have a few sneakies then jump back in when M&S are finished and go and freak out in the Hot Dub Time Machine for a couple of hours or HVOB at the Sunrise for a bit. bizarre bit of scheduling. Having said that I really am looking forward to not having to trek too far in comparison to Glastonbury a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

I might not go just to be stubborn and bloody minded.

Pop back to the campsite , have a few sneakies then jump back in when M&S are finished and go and freak out in the Hot Dub Time Machine for a couple of hours or HVOB at the Sunrise for a bit. bizarre bit of scheduling. Having said that I really am looking forward to not having to trek too far in comparison to Glastonbury a few weeks ago.

It's going to be weird to have such short transit times between stages, isn't it?!

I am no stranger to the Park to JPT to Park triple bill! 

Ben

Have fun people, I am quite jealous although I think I am a bit festival weary after Glasto and Bluedot over the last 3 weeks. Been to Latitude a few times, always been really great, looks like you going to have ideal weather as well, warm and cloudy

Enjoy my local festival, and make sure you see Goldfrapp!

1 minute ago, Jacko45 said:

Weather fantastic again by looks! Why wasn't the lineup better for me :( 

Yeah same here - not too many acts that I really want to catch. Will be more about hanging out with friends and wandering about i think. Actually will make a nice change - I did a lot of racing around at Glastonbury trying to get from stage to stage !

14 hours ago, swede said:

People are being a bit rude and stupid in family camping, proper sense of entitlement with some people, really hope this isn't setting the tone of the weekend.

That's a real shame, hope its more positive this morning.

We're in Green camping and all is calm and friendly here.

4 hours ago, Mollyanne&Mike said:

That's a real shame, hope its more positive this morning.

We're in Green camping and all is calm and friendly here.

Just people queue jumping at the gate, stupidly moaning about the security checks and then pushing at the wristband exchange.

Been a lot better today apart from the guy smoking in a portaloo closest to the kids area, some people really do have dog shit for brains 

Went and watched hot brown honeys "family" show this morning which was fab, if your at a loose end tonight and your kid free go see their adult headline show in the theatre

It feels very wrong for me not to be in Suffolk right now, stretching out on the little hill right outside the Sunrise (you know, the little sweet spot where you can lie on the grass in the middle of a forest and still see and hear bands as clearly as a proper music hall? fuck me that has to be the best square foot of any musical festival in all of existence), supping on my booze which I resourcefully smuggled in because fuck Latitude's shitty expensive bar options, turning that booze into wee and then counting how many toilet flaps I get from that wee. Get a fucking decent line-up next year you shits.

Mumford & Sons, just when you thought you couldn't hate them any more, they force you to watch them. Waaaaaankers. There'll be a few people who really really wanted to see Dave that won't be able to get in sniffing distance because it'll be rammed because not everybody wants to see Mumford. I feel bad for them, at Latitude's ticket price that's pretty scandalous.

And before anybody wants to take shots at Joanna Newsom; I'd be very surprised if she could do what she does with feedback coming from other stages. For the songs where it's just her and the harp, there's no way somebody's else's drum beat won't completely fuck that up for her, what she does is incredibly complex a lot of time. Also Mumford & Son's are the world's worst shite, and Joanna Newsom is probably the most unique and skilled and incredible performer alive today, and if you'd pick anybody else over her you deserve to die.

What's the weather like down there? Tropical microclimate still holding up?

My first impressions of the festival are good, apart from the toilets which are pretty grim and there's not enough of them, oh and sound bleed, they should rename it the sound bleed festival.

apart from that it's a great little festival, spent most of my time between speakeasy, comedy and film tents although I did dive out to see the coral, being my 4th festival of the year( I'm pretty much festivalled out) I'm not bothered about much of the music but the rest is fantastic, venues seem pretty easy to get into, well organised and atmosphere pretty friendly.

Quite like Mumfords normally but I do hope their little 'plan' backfires tonight. Not wishing for a riot or for them to be bottled off as such, but a less-than-packed field would send a message. No place for that kind of self-entitled w*nkery at a festival, really.

also for whoever was hoping for HAIM to play a secret set, they're back in California now

1 minute ago, Frrrraaappp head said:

Well it seems Longitude didn't fare as well, there was a stampede to get in and apparently someone broke their leg in the process.  Incidentally check out the Solas area, its run by the Body&Soul festival people, Irish trippy forest fun.

DEtVYcaWAAEqFgQ.jpg

Was this yesterday or today? Wouldn't expect either Stormzy or The Weeeknd to inspire that kind of fanaticism.

Just got home and on the whole had a pretty good day. Was impressed by a lot of things about the festival, primarily the variety of entertainment on offer, and the venue was interesting (if a bit hilly in places!).

Our overall enjoyment was tainted though by the absolutely farcical traffic management they had in place. We only live in Norwich so it was about 12.30pm when, as instructed, we followed the 'all festival traffic' signs and turned off the A12. It was nearly two hours later when we eventually got into the day ticket holder car park after being taken on a painfully slow and very frustrating bumper to bumper tour of the entire perimeter of the site. What made it even worse was that we later realised that if we'd just carried on for half a mile down the road (instead of following the signs and turning off) we'd have been in the car park within 5 mins. I've got no idea why it was set up this way and having never been before I wasn't aware what had happened until it was too late but it was an absolute shambles and completely unnecessary. Thankfully we got out pretty sharpish at the end but it definitely left a sour taste in the mouth.

Anyway, once in we spent quite a bit of time wandering around and my son enjoyed the kids area. He really wanted to do a comic book master class in the Inbetweeners area but that was fully booked which was disappointing. Many of the workshops for tomorrow were also full so I guess weekend campers just booked it all up when they arrived. We saw Two Door Cinema Club (who were good fun), Dan Croll in Sunrise and then enjoyed some of the Rave Karaoke in the Film and Music arena. The main reason we were there was for my wife to see Mumford's and they weren't too bad. Crowd was pretty big and they brought out lots of guests. 

It's been a while since I've done a UK festival so haven't got much to compare it against but it seemed pretty expensive. I only had a couple of beers and my wife had a few ciders but between the three of us we spent the best part of £100 on food and drink. I dread to think what it would have cost us for a full weekend but we had a good time and with the right line up we'd go again for a day next year. 

Great day yesterday, one of the best days I've had with the kids at Latitude with the kids in our 3 years coming.

Screen printing, rope climbing, felt making, Pom Pom making, painting, and loads more, they really got stuck into the kiddie crafts yesterday and there's loads planned today, so much for them to do.

Mumfords actually blew me away, my wife left midway to get my eldest something to eat and I watched the last few songs near the back with my 8 year old boy on my shoulders surrounded by families, it was pretty special.

Howevef the entitlement of some people here did rear its ugly head again, as we were trying to get my daughter out of Mumford she'd ended up in front and near the back a man and woman refused to let her past to get out, claiming the route behind them was blocked by their groups chairs. They were rather rude to my daughter but I've been asked by my wife to keep calm in situations like that so I found an alternative route while they tried the same tactic on a group of guys who were following our route out, the guys basically told them to fuck off as there was a route out behind them which they were using. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the guys barging past them 

Ive met some lovely people as well. The Ghanaian Food stall near the BBC Music tent might be the best festival food I've had all year and the lovely couple who gave up their order of ice rolls jusy so my kids weren't waiting, so on the whole it's been lovely but it has been tinged with this sense of entitlement from some people that I haven't encountered here before 

Edited by swede

8 hours ago, idb said:

Does anyone know when tickets go onsale for the 2018 festival? I know someone who is wishing to go so will give them a heads up.

Literally just got the email.  From 10 am on 20th July!!!

Highlights for me were Public Service Broadcasting, Honeyblood, Goldfrapp, Placebo, Sunflower Bean and Kevin Morby. Succumbed and went to Mumfords and actually ended up enjoying it. Ended the weekend sweating and getting pushed around in Fatboy! Apparently field was half empty for Fleet Foxes.

Watched a bit of Loyle Carner before that and he was great.

Green camping was great and very quiet, toilets were OK and only broke down a few times but we were close to the campervan loos so used those.

Crowds of piseed/drugged teenagers barging around but you get those anywhere, otherwise, was a pure Joulesfest of middleaged mums and dads but not a problem.

Drinks in arena were crap and overpriced and was very disappointed with the food - again bland and well overpriced. A few nore independents would sort that out. weather was great which helped a lot.

Easy enough to sneak spirits into arena so that helped.

Left this morning and was straight out with no queues, about a 30 minute queue on way in Thursday but again, no biggie.

What a place to get to though!! Tractors and trucks all the way back to the A1!

Would I go back - depends on the lineup. Need to up game for next year to get me to commit on hoping the lineup will be good. Going to wait and see. Friendly place though, and met some nice people.

Back from Latitude no. 10.   Weather was cloudy and sunny with a little rain on Sunday (and a deluge on Tuesday - loadsa mud backstage the next day).  Since everyone likes 'em, here's my scores on the doors:

Thursday:

Marcus Brigstoke's PrinceFest (9/10).  Missed it last year, at the front.  Great fun, better music

Friday:

Sean Walsh (8/10).  Good-natured observational moaning

The Coral (6/10).  Filled an early afternoon on the grass

Kadhja Bonet (8/10).  Lovely soothing voice, perfect for Sunrise

Saturday:

The Very Best (7/10).  Nice rhythm to get going

Karen Elson (7/10).  A lot of new album stuff

Honeyblood (8/10).  A brief rock-out in the Sunrise

IDLES (6/10).  Not amazing, expected a little more presence

Glass Animals (9/10).  I made a prediction on the old forum that these would be Obelisk headliners after seeing them on the Alcove.  Halfway there... Great to see a big crowd appreciate it.

Sylvan Esso (9/10).  Appreciative Sunrise crowd lapped up a great set, the frontwoman may be tiny but had a large presence.

Twin Peaks (7/10).  Not the future of rock n roll but decent enough

Lowly (8/10).  My Mumfords alternative in Solas.  Haunting stuff that David Lynch should put in the new series of Twin Peaks

Sunday:

All We Are (7/10).  Were better when I saw them in the Other Voices in the past

The Concerto for Comedian and Orchestra (7/10).  A light concept, always a sight to see an orchestra perform

DJ Yoda (9/10).  Daft videogames nostalgia

John Cale (6/10).  The smallest Obelisk subheadliner crowd I can remember.  Not enough hits for a festival crowd.

Fleet Foxes (8/10).  Prog comes to Latitude, a brave booking.  But there was enough cracking songs to give those around me a cozy feeling in their hearts.

This year was a typical Latitude for me.  If you've been before then it delivered exactly what you expect.  While I can understand those who didn't want to come because the lineup left them cold (2011 did this, and this and the mud made it the only time I wanted to bail from a festival early) it can always deliver.  And shoot me all you want, but the flag changes for Mumfords day looked bloody brilliant...