Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

1 hour ago, aidenlangan95 said:

We just all have to see Mumford and Sons, our lords and masters of Latitude. 

But on a serious note, not booking a 2nd stage headliner is really poor form.

They have booked a second stage headliner - it's Jack Garratt. It's just that Mumford has decided that you're only allowed to watch him. And then you can scuttle off to BBC.

Bit shite, but facilitates further somewhat irrational dislike of them by me!

Wish those Alcove times would come up - I have an almighty issue to resolve...(First World problem level, clearly...)

Ben

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

They have booked a second stage headliner - it's Jack Garratt. It's just that Mumford has decided that you're only allowed to watch him. And then you can scuttle off to BBC.

Bit shite, but facilitates further somewhat irrational dislike of them by me!

Wish those Alcove times would come up - I have an almighty issue to resolve...(First World problem level, clearly...)

Ben

I think it's rationalised it. :P But yeah, poor move from Latitude too - seemingly handing over a day of the festival to a fading folk band's poxy forest event series. I'm not even off and it's wound me up!

Alcove times are up. They finish early. Couple of other stages are open tho. I hope Lowly, Afrikan Boy and Dave all get big crowds.

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think it's rationalised it. :P But yeah, poor move from Latitude too - seemingly handing over a day of the festival to a fading folk band's poxy forest event series. I'm not even off and it's wound me up!

Alcove times are up. They finish early. Couple of other stages are open tho. I hope Lowly, Afrikan Boy and Dave all get big crowds.

Found the issue - Klangstof (pretty much my No.1 must-see) are listed for two sets - SOLAS on Friday with a nasty Forest Swords clash, and Alcove on Sunday. Looking at the set times before and after that Alcove listing, I think they're on that line-up in error, hence why there's no time assigned and why I didn't realise the Alcove times were out.

Another example of flawless performance from the 'tude!

:D

Ben

1 hour ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Mumford & Sons wanted to give people a place to go together 

I've been trying so hard not to join the anti Mumford momentum, even though they are not my cup of tea, but this really is the quite the most w*nkiest of moves of their part, and shameful of Latitude to defer to it.

Why on earth would they want to corral a bunch of anti-Mumfords towards the main stage when they would rather be somewhere else? Mumford fans don't want us there, we don't want to be there, its such a misconceived idea of what festivals are about.

I'm surprised how furious I am about this

If this was a one day festival (such as the events in Hyde Park), I'd accept it as the norm. But it just seems so wrong when it's a weekend festival. If this happened at Glastonbury or Reading, they'd be uproar.

If Guns N Roses at Reading didn't do it or The Rolling Stones didn't do it at Glastonbury, then why the hell can Mumford and Sons do it at Latitude.

Edited by aidenlangan95

Hi all, sorry this is a bit off the current topic but I'd appreciate if anyone could help answer a couple of questions I've got, it's been a few years since I've been at Latiude...

1) Which campsite would you recommend? Ideally we'd want to stay somewhere fairly close to the arena so we can easily pop back to our tent during the day.

2) What are the showers like? I've had a really mixed experience with festival showers in the past and wonder if it's worth me packing a towel.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Further to my recent outburst, perhaps a "staring at a tree in the camping area for 90 mins" session should be arranged.

Ha ha. Or maybe just watching the sheep.

I'm sort of in the middle re: Mumfords and might have gone to see them, but this statement is totally idiotic and arrogant / desperate. Also it increases the chance of overcrowding at the BBC stage after as lots of people might try and pile in for that rather than the splitting the crowd with 2 headliners at the same time.

1 hour ago, Sarge 9 said:

Hi all, sorry this is a bit off the current topic but I'd appreciate if anyone could help answer a couple of questions I've got, it's been a few years since I've been at Latiude...

1) Which campsite would you recommend? Ideally we'd want to stay somewhere fairly close to the arena so we can easily pop back to our tent during the day.

2) What are the showers like? I've had a really mixed experience with festival showers in the past and wonder if it's worth me packing a towel.

Thanks! 

Yellow campsite is closest to the arena, though that does make it furthest from the entrance gate. It's the most rowdy, but still much more civil than some other fests.

The showers are also located in yellow campsite, they're communal. There's more showers per capita than other places, although water temp and pressure suffer at busy times

4 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

I've been trying so hard not to join the anti Mumford momentum, even though they are not my cup of tea, but this really is the quite the most w*nkiest of moves of their part, and shameful of Latitude to defer to it.

Why on earth would they want to corral a bunch of anti-Mumfords towards the main stage when they would rather be somewhere else? Mumford fans don't want us there, we don't want to be there, its such a misconceived idea of what festivals are about.

I'm surprised how furious I am about this

let's start a protest! i really don't like them either, so i guess i'll be at the theatre or comedy stage then.

17 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

I'm going to stoke the fire and say Haim are doing a "secret show" in that slot. They are doing things around the UK this week and good friends of Mumford & Sons. I'm prepared for disappointment 

this doesnt clarify wether you will be disappoint if they DO play....or not.....

I am assuming the latter....

14 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

If this was a one day festival (such as the events in Hyde Park), I'd accept it as the norm. But it just seems so wrong when it's a weekend festival. If this happened at Glastonbury or Reading, they'd be uproar.

If Guns N Roses at Reading didn't do it or The Rolling Stones didn't do it at Glastonbury, then why the hell can Mumford and Sons do it at Latitude.

End of the Road did it for last year with Joanna Newsome. And.....yeah, there was a bit of an understandable backlash. As there should be at a festival weekend. It's also like....the only way the Mumfords would 'grace our little iddy biddy festival' is if they guarantee that we will all be made to see them. And Latitude has complied (possibly due to the less than good ticket sales last year?!?). Its shit. And very saddening.

17 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

From the Latitude twitter page about M&S: 

There will not be a performance on the BBC music stage during Mumford & Sons. Mumford & Sons wanted to give people a place to go together at the end of the night when traditionally everyone would disperse off to other smaller spaces

That doesn't seem to be on there any more. That would really pee me off if I was going!

Bit bored on my lunch so had a read through the item check list for things allowed in the arena and camp site. It says flags with poles are allowed into the arena this year, I'd never take a flag around a festival as it seems like a lot of extra work but I've checked back on my previous Latitude photos and there was def no flags at the main stage in the last couple of years.

23 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

From the Latitude twitter page about M&S: 

There will not be a performance on the BBC music stage during Mumford & Sons. Mumford & Sons wanted to give people a place to go together at the end of the night when traditionally everyone would disperse off to other smaller spaces

Only just seen this.

What a disingenuous bag of shit!

Mumford & Sons want to ensure that they do not get an embarrassingly small crowd, so are reducing the options when they're on! Which is (a) crappy and (b) unnecessary - I have no interest, nor any huge dislike for them, but they'll pull a huge crowd. Especially at Latitude :P

Ben

7 hours ago, retromoz said:

End of the Road did it for last year with Joanna Newsome. And.....yeah, there was a bit of an understandable backlash. As there should be at a festival weekend. It's also like....the only way the Mumfords would 'grace our little iddy biddy festival' is if they guarantee that we will all be made to see them. And Latitude has complied (possibly due to the less than good ticket sales last year?!?). Its shit. And very saddening.

In her defence, Joanna always looks for 'quiet' across a festival site if she is to agree to play. You can either be OK with that or not, but the kind person in me sees that solely as her wish to be able to give a great performance without the inevitable bleed from other stages that would seriously impair the very delicate sound she makes - especially when it's just harp and vocal. 

She did this at EOTR quite a few years ago, so at least she's consistent and not, IMO, being a needy primadonna.

Mumford? Not so much...!

Ben

5 hours ago, swede said:

Bit bored on my lunch so had a read through the item check list for things allowed in the arena and camp site. It says flags with poles are allowed into the arena this year, I'd never take a flag around a festival as it seems like a lot of extra work but I've checked back on my previous Latitude photos and there was def no flags at the main stage in the last couple of years.

How do we interpret this change of position?

"Those flags at Glastonbury are such a part of the festival. I know some people in the crowd hate them, but they're iconic"

"Yeah"

"Did we name our main stage as a rip off of Glastonbury's? You know, the monolith thing?"

"Yeah"

"Bugger it then - let's have flags too"

"Yeah"

:)

Ben

22 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

"Did we name our main stage as a rip off of Glastonbury's? You know, the monolith thing?"

This bile may be getting a tad out of hand. The obelisk stage is so called because it sits in front of a stone obelisk -  it being a country estate and all they have that sort of thing littering the garden. 

6 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

This bile may be getting a tad out of hand. The obelisk stage is so called because it sits in front of a stone obelisk -  it being a country estate and all they have that sort of thing littering the garden. 

Easy, sparky - bile is a little robust for a tongue-in-cheek comment from someone who, on these boards, is generally regarded as rather gentle and kind!

My apologies for having been, admittedly, ignorant to the origin of the stage's name - which becomes rather lovely, when one takes the trouble to find out how it came about.

Ben

The annoyance with the Mumford stuff, Latitude should of booked someone to play at same time as Mumford so people have choice, the only reason Mumford don't want Jack Garrett on the same time is that they can get him on stage with them, they always seem to get all the bands below on the bill to come with them for a bit of a sing song during there own set. Youtube Mumford headlining at Glasto 3/4 years back and see what i mean.

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Easy, sparky - bile is a little robust for a tongue-in-cheek comment from someone who, on these boards, is generally regarded as rather gentle and kind!

My apologies for having been, admittedly, ignorant to the origin of the stage's name - which becomes rather lovely, when one takes the trouble to find out how it came about.

Ben

I'm always easy, Ben - only said in jest. My comment is as much a reflection of my own utter fury at the sheer f'ing stupidiy of Latitude giving themselves over to Mumford vanity.

and flags are, you are quite right, a retrograde step and a right royal pain in the arse

...as for the obelisk, I just thought you'd be interested. It's a very small obelisk, but seek and you will find.

8 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

I'm always easy, Ben - only said in jest. My comment is as much a reflection of my own utter fury at the sheer f'ing stupidiy of Latitude giving themselves over to Mumford vanity.

and flags are, you are quite right, a retrograde step and a right royal pain in the arse

...as for the obelisk, I just thought you'd be interested. It's a very small obelisk, but seek and you will find.

Ah, sparky, the ever-entertaining skill of misreading tone in text! Was slightly concerned that I may have ruffled feathers (well, a shell, anyway!) and would hate to have done so!

And you are entirely correct, of course - I'm such a festival culture geek that I'd want to know about all such things! I am very glad now to be able to sound knowledgeable and tell others how the main stage got its name!

Have a brilliant festival - I'm so excited to return to Henham, particularly as I am babtising Child 3 in his first ever festival!

Can't wait!

Ben