Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, phil1973 said:

Hi. Another newbie question. I know that you can't take your own booze into the arena, but am I ok dragging a cooler box full of beer (in a festival trolley) around all the other areas or is it limited to the camping areas? Thanks again

Ben is correct. Once you walk in " the area of Action " is larger than it first appears - sure from time to time you can see people outside the campsite drinking but they are just killing time

2 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

This made me chuckle even more than the Waitrose hamper :D

Latitude is surely the most upmarket festival ever :)

It is but with it comes an atmosphere that I'd dare say surpasses Glastonbury in how chilled out and friendly people are there. 

I'm typical working class but love  the crowd that Latitude attracts, such a nice festival 

TBH after clocking up around 65 miles according to my FitBit at Glastonbury, I am really looking forward to the somewhat more contained area of Latitude. My old legs can't take all that walking AND dancing. Need to be able to smuggle some gin or rum in though.....Wine bag in my pants??

29 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

For sure, it always feels really friendly & safe.  Lovely atmosphere :)

Yes, def the safest festival I've ever been to, with two kids in tow that's no bad thing.

That being said this will be our last year for a while. The kids area doesn't evolve or change enough for my liking so as the kids are getting older there's only so many times you can take them in a row, this will be our third. Plus I think it's a poor lineup this year tbh

Next year we're trying Kendal Calling for the first time instead, booked the tickets yesterday 

1 minute ago, swede said:

Yes, def the safest festival I've ever been to, with two kids in tow that's no bad thing.

That being said this will be our last year for a while. The kids area doesn't evolve or change enough for my liking so as the kids are getting older there's only so many times you can take them in a row, this will be our third. Plus I think it's a poor lineup this year tbh

Next year we're trying Kendal Calling for the first time instead, booked the tickets yesterday 

Whilst I don't disagree with you in essence, @swede, after Glastonbury and the absurd amount of absolute must-sees, I'm really excited about going to a festival where I barely get beyond the undercard for excitement. Through a committed period of line-up homework, there are now LOADS of acts about whom I am really excited...and that was after being totally meh after the third announcement or whatnot.

I'm going to go see a new-to-me band twice!!

:)

Ben

34 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Whilst I don't disagree with you in essence, @swede, after Glastonbury and the absurd amount of absolute must-sees, I'm really excited about going to a festival where I barely get beyond the undercard for excitement. Through a committed period of line-up homework, there are now LOADS of acts about whom I am really excited...and that was after being totally meh after the third announcement or whatnot.

I'm going to go see a new-to-me band twice!!

Ben

I've def finding hidden gems in the lineup, it's keeping the kids entertained that might prove trickier this year. Honeyblood and King Nun added to the must sees today,

I'll keep an eye out for you Ben on the Friday and say hi if I see your t shirt 

Any recommendations from the undercard... for someone who tends to like the more electronic (simian, dj yoda, fatboy, jaguar skills) or upbeat (placebo Leon bridges, public service broadcasting) parts of the line-up?

A lot of the latitude music is too twee/chilled/acoustic for my liking but I go as my friends do and it is an otherwise lovely festival

Thanks!

What's the story with the on-site supermarket i think i read about...is it just a Waitrose giving out bourgeois hamper tat or can you buy food and drink that won't break the bank there?

Otherwise: can you take a shuttle or local bus to a nearby town to get to the local supermarket as required?

Edited by dee_2017

13 minutes ago, dee_2017 said:

What's the story with the on-site supermarket i think i read about...is it just a Waitrose giving out bourgeois hamper tat or can you buy food and drink that won't break the bank there?

Otherwise: can you take a shuttle or local bus to a nearby town to get to the local supermarket as required?

There's a supermarket tent, quite reasonable prices on the essentials, Waitrose, apart from that bag, are doing some pop-up restaurant thing, so just a big advert really.... 

21 hours ago, DJL said:

Any recommendations from the undercard... for someone who tends to like the more electronic (simian, dj yoda, fatboy, jaguar skills) or upbeat (placebo Leon bridges, public service broadcasting) parts of the line-up?

A lot of the latitude music is too twee/chilled/acoustic for my liking but I go as my friends do and it is an otherwise lovely festival

Thanks!

Hi DJL

Other than those bits mentioned by georgie:

Max Cooper - you might like him. A lot.
Forest Swords (pretty leftfield/experimental - I love him, but you might go 'wtf..?'!)

That's mostly it for electronica, I'm afraid.

However, as a personal recommendation, I am now entirely obsessed with Norwegian band, Klangstof. They're playing twice over the weekend and I fully intend to be at both sets! Kind of post-rock/soundscapey with more indie elements at times too. Their debut LP, Close Eyes To Exit, is currently winging its way to Ben Towers® on vinyl!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

16 minutes ago, swede said:

Is it just me thinking there's one more announcement to come, main stage still looks short of a band on the Friday 

I think so, especially with that Haim rumour. They've got an album out on Friday and they're long friends and collaborators with Mumford and Sons so it might explain why Jack Garratt isn't going to clash with M&S (if Haim were to headline BBC Music stage).

Then again it's less than two weeks to go...!

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hi DJL

Other than those bits mentioned by georgie:

Max Cooper - you might like him. A lot.
Forest Swords (pretty leftfield/experimental - I love him, but you might go 'wtf..?'!)

That's mostly it for electronica, I'm afraid.

However, as a personal recommendation, I am now entirely obsessed with Norwegian band, Klangstof. They're playing twice over the weekend and I fully intend to be at both sets! Kind of post-rock/soundscapey with more indie elements at times too. They're debut LP, Close Eyes To Exit, is currently winging its way to Ben Towers® on vinyl!

Ben

You going to get yourself down to the Alcove for that Slotface set Ben?

Just tried a bit of a self-flagellating "oh I'm so devastated I can't go" session over the ever-enthralling Sunrise line-up and some other gems dotted around. But then I can't really commit to it with any conviction because Lord Mumford is unavoidable, and there's no real must-see for me. But absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I do like that tranquil little corner of England, and one great headliner like Lorde could well see me pay that cheeky as fuck ticket price again.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You going to get yourself down to the Alcove for that Slotface set Ben?

Just tried a bit of a self-flagellating "oh I'm so devastated I can't go" session over the ever-enthralling Sunrise line-up and some other gems dotted around. But then I can't really commit to it with any conviction because Lord Mumford is unavoidable, and there's no real must-see for me. But absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I do like that tranquil little corner of England, and one great headliner like Lorde could well see me pay that cheeky as fuck ticket price again.

Just fucking DO it, LAWN!

There's so much on that undercard, it's crazy!

I would LOVE to get to Sløtface, but they're wedged in-between two successive Sunrise must-sees in Forest Swords and Max Cooper - the one true clashterfuck for me :(

I reckon there's still a few more names and scheduling to come - there needs to be or my Saturday headliner will be in the poetry tent!

The one annoying thing about Latitude is how so many of the small stage headliners are always so much earlier than the big three (even Lake), meaning that you're almost obliged  to go to one of those.

But from the ashes of a seemingly crappy overall line-up, many mighty little phoenixes have risen and its gonna be a brilliant few days back in Suffolk.

Ben
x

16 hours ago, Funktownbro said:

There's a supermarket tent, quite reasonable prices on the essentials, Waitrose, apart from that bag, are doing some pop-up restaurant thing, so just a big advert really.... 

Thanks! that bag definitely isn't reasonable. do they sell cider and wine in the supermarket?

2 hours ago, dee_2017 said:

Thanks! that bag definitely isn't reasonable. do they sell cider and wine in the supermarket?

The supermarket tent has nothing to do with Waitrose, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, they do sell crates of cider and beer, not sure about wine, probably boxed though.....

1 hour ago, Funktownbro said:

The supermarket tent has nothing to do with Waitrose, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, they do sell crates of cider and beer, not sure about wine, probably boxed though.....

I don't think you gave me the wrong impression at all! i just confused it with the hamper offer. Thanks for the info. :-)

5 minutes ago, swede said:

I've contacted latitude this morning about another announcement and they said the full lineup has been announced, no further additions 

:o

Gah! That must mean that Jack Garratt is headlining BBC at 'normal' time on the Saturday...

Hmmm...additional planning required!

:P

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

32 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

:o

Gah! That must mean that Jack Garratt is headlining BBC at 'normal' time on the Saturday...

Hmmm...additional planning required!

:P

Ben

I don't think this is the case. I think SOHN will play at the same time as Mumford and Sons with Jack Garratt starting after they have finished as he is mentioned here http://www.latitudefestival.com/news/latitude-night-owls.