Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

The line up on the website has changed, Baaba Maal (and I'm pretty sure a couple of others) has been removed from Mumfords day. Weird.

I got the impression he was performing with the band as opposed to his own set. Could be why. (Edit: I think it might just be him removed from the Obelisk, when I looked earlier I felt like there was still space to chuck a few acts on)

1 hour ago, Hawky said:

One thing to consider is:

My act of the weekend from last year was Soulwax. They weren't announced until... 29/04 

Adding fuel to this fire, there's no mention (that I've seen) of Jack Garratt *headlining* the scary tent. Wouldn't surprise me if they pop someone above him 

Edited by evannn

4 minutes ago, evannn said:

Adding fuel to this fire, there's no mention (that I've seen) of Jack Garratt *headlining* the scary tent. Wouldn't surprise me if they pop someone above him 

Yeah, he's not. Exactly the same as Kurt vile last year.

I said earlier we will get an electronic headliner for the 6 music. Hopefully they're good, because i don't like Mumford! (Unless they do sigh no more in full)

made a playlist to try and discover new things to enjoy in the absence of anything catching my eye that I already know of, feel free to utilise if you wish 

couple of bands have only released one song or nothing at all but will add when they do, have put a couple of Ben Howard songs in there as a placeholder until this 'Blaze of Feather' thing gets off the grounds  

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Hawky said:

My analysis:

Just remember capacity is 39,999 and there's going to be about 15,000 who go every year no matter what the lineup due to its family friendly nature and the arts. 

I reckon the headliners are good for the festival, I'm just disappointed about the two similar headline acts ( I know nothing about Fleet Foxes- I thought they were the size of 'Of Monsters and Men' haha)

1975 trump The Maccabees 

Mumford and sons (size wise) trump The National 

New Order wins the battle of the sundays.

The daily lineup breakdown on the website makes the lineup look ten times better than the poster, the poster is bizarre, it just needs a few additions.

The Macabees and The National trump 1975 and Mumford and Sons musically though.  By a country mile.  Particularly The National over Mumford and Sons. That's why this is so disappointing. Latitude has always felt like a festival that makes decisions on music, not numbers. This year they have drastically switched.

3 minutes ago, PresentlyTense said:

The Macabees and The National trump 1975 and Mumford and Sons musically though.  By a country mile.  Particularly The National over Mumford and Sons. That's why this is so disappointing. Latitude has always felt like a festival that makes decisions on music, not numbers. This year they have drastically switched.

Have they, though? They've got two massive headliners but after that there's barely anything at all that's popular in the mainstream. Last year, the undercard had Chvrches, The Lumineers, Laura Mvula, Michael Kiwanuka, Of Monsters and Men, Christine and The Queens, all sorts. The most mainstream act on this year's undercard last had a hit in 2008.

Feel like I saw more critical acclaim for ILIWYS than anything Maccabees, Two Door (obv) or even Foals have done. And it was a pretty textured and varied record too, what Foals are and Maccabees were crying out for.

I prefer those two for nostalgia but the complaints that The 1975 were chosen for sales and not their music are some way off in regards to Latitude headliners in general.

They're not the bad guys here anyway - it was an obvious booking from ages ago. Blame class of 2011 hey-core bumbaclarts clogging up the other two nights.

1 hour ago, Hawky said:

Yeah, he's not. Exactly the same as Kurt vile last year.

I said earlier we will get an electronic headliner for the 6 music. Hopefully they're good, because i don't like Mumford! (Unless they do sigh no more in full)

I hope for this too, i like both Jack and mumford and dont want to choose. Saw jack garratt for the first time at latitude 2015 in the now sunrise arena

28 minutes ago, harryy said:

I hope for this too, i like both Jack and mumford and dont want to choose. Saw jack garratt for the first time at latitude 2015 in the now sunrise arena

saw him there as well, was great. However saw him at Lowlands last year and was a bit boring

7 minutes ago, brayshizzle said:

wonder how well these headliners will shift tickets.

i mean the undercards the last few years blow this one away

Fleet Foxes seem like the huge weak link in this. I mean, I think they're ace, but I can't imagine what kind of real pulling power they have in 2017, even with the exclusive tag. I'm guessing Mumfords price tag is the reason for this. The 1975 and Mumfords will shift tickets though. Maybe not necessarily to the usual Latitude clientele, but The 1975 being the hot ticket of the moment and Mumfords for some reason still being a big deal will mean it doesn't die on it's arse regardless of the undercard.

Think Bonobo will slot in above Jack Garratt (unless there's some reason that can't happen).

For my personal taste, the Friday looks absolutely stacked to a silly degree and then the rest of the weekend considerably less so - enough for me to have a good couple of days but a lot less to get excited about.

1 hour ago, PresentlyTense said:

Size of the band and popularity is fact based. Its a fact that the point of headlining Latitude 1975 and Mumford and sons are bigger and more popular than Maccabees and The National.

'Musically' is opinion based. Although I do agree, the national are better than Mumford musically.

5 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Size of the band and popularity is fact based. Its a fact that the point of headlining Latitude 1975 and Mumford and sons are bigger and more popular than Maccabees and The National.

'Musically' is opinion based. Although I do agree, the national are better than Mumford musically.

Whilst musical acclaim is opinion based, we can use critic reviews as a signpost. On metacritic, Mumford have an average score of 62. The National have an average score of 83. (Metacritic is not perfect but it gives a somewhat generalised musical opinion)

I'd hope with all festivals they take into account both size/popularity and musical acclaim and I thought in previous years, Latitude took the latter as more important; this year, it's reversed.

Edited by aidenlangan95

5 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Whilst musical acclaim is opinion based, we can use critic reviews as a signpost. On metacritic, Mumford have an average score of 62. The National have an average score of 83. (Metacritic is not perfect but it gives a somewhat generalised musical opinion)

I'd hope with all festivals they take into account both size/popularity and musical acclaim and I thought in previous years, Latitude took the latter as more important; this year, it's reversed.

I agree, like I said, The National are better than Mumford musically- that is my opinion. However, Mumford are a bigger band and therefore more popular.

National wouldn't get anywhere near Glasto headliner, or even Reading and Leeds. Mumford will most likely, unfortunately, go back to headlining the big guns with their next album release. 

Do we think there might be a sub to be added on Mumfords day...? There isn't anyone listed under them on the poster, whereas there is for 1975 and Fleet Foxes day, and I like Glass Animals but it's a big leap for them to sub given some of the acts who've done it in the last few years. Looking back at previous Gentlemen of the Road Stopover lineups the obvious candidates would be The Flaming Lips and The Vaccines, and both are available, although the Lips currently have no dates lined up between Glastonbury and Boardmasters

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Found this on twitter on longitude's line up, unsure if real or not: 

IMG_1321.JPG

Swap Catfish for someone interesting and you're on. I assume the third headliner is half-decent too, if they're holding it back for a boost next week. It won't be Fleet Foxes, at least.

Edited by Zac Quinn