Repercussions

Harry49

Has there been or are there any rumoured repercussions for the festival due to the gridlock caused by the Campervan carparks fiasco on the Tuesday/Wednesday?

Cant imagine the locals were too pleased and would have thought council fines were likely as a minimum.

Have the Eavi been up before the council  to explain or has the bad weather excuse trumped all complains.

Good point, had one camper friend stuck there from the Monday a mile away and another who took 7 hours to arrive from Bristol. Certainly there wasn't much follow news on the subject from what I've seen. Personally I could never use a camper van, prefer the noise and being in a tent amongst it all. We absolutely flew in from Reading leaving at 3am Wednesday but then then had to drag my miserable possessions miles across bogs of mud to be confronted by the zig zag crowd calming barriers at Gate A, those feckers nearly did for me being fat, 52 and asthmatic. We soldier on for our fun though don't we. Don't really give a flying shit when the tents up you can see the whole site and imagine the carnage ahead of you. Nearly got me crying just thinking about it again, roll on October and good luck to all on the ticket front .   

On 22 August 2016 at 1:30 PM, ya_concha said:

Good point, had one camper friend stuck there from the Monday a mile away and another who took 7 hours to arrive from Bristol. Certainly there wasn't much follow news on the subject from what I've seen. Personally I could never use a camper van, prefer the noise and being in a tent amongst it all. We absolutely flew in from Reading leaving at 3am Wednesday but then then had to drag my miserable possessions miles across bogs of mud to be confronted by the zig zag crowd calming barriers at Gate A, those feckers nearly did for me being fat, 52 and asthmatic. We soldier on for our fun though don't we. Don't really give a flying shit when the tents up you can see the whole site and imagine the carnage ahead of you. Nearly got me crying just thinking about it again, roll on October and good luck to all on the ticket front .   

I hate those zig zag barriers, they totally destroyed me last year, this time we went in with the tent first and went back later for rest of the gear, it was much better. 
Charm x

use to love being in the tents but cant do that nowadays with my back .....i must say its horrible when you go back to main camp and get told oh brummie and pakki were OFFFF there heads last night you should have seen it ....but heyho ups and downs ah

According to the Mendip Council meeting schedule (http://www.mendip.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=14075&p=0) it will be discussed in the November meeting of the Mendip Scrutiny board.  The minutes to be available shortly after.

Last years report for those interested: http://www.mendip.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11595&p=0

From the minutes of the meeting in July they are still keen to discuss and have GF represented:

Members requested an opportunity for a public debrief of the 2016 Glastonbury Festival due to the problems which occurred at the Festival including traffic, sewage and litter.

The Lead Officer clarified that the annual debrief listed in the Scrutiny forward plan was the appropriate opportunity for Members to ask questions of the festival organisers in relation to relevant issues. Council officers would be undertaking an internal officer brief and liaising with other agencies. It was suggested that if Members had specific issues or had received complaints from residents then the relevant information should be passed on to the Group Manager for Community Health Services as soon as possible. It was clarified the annual Glastonbury debrief meeting would be attended by Directors of the festival. 

No one can be thinking this year was in anyway good, tho it's also worth remembering that traffic problems like that used to be more of the norm rather than an exception. There's been massive improvements over the years but things can always go wrong when you're subject to an uncontrollable like the weather.

Hopefully the council will be real-world enough to recognise it's something unlikely to be repeated next year (on the basis that a waterlogged ground before the fest is about a one in nine chance for any year, on my estimation). All the same they're going to demand improvements in the plan.

The obvious improvement would be more tracking into the fields, tho ultimately it can only have a limited effect because people will still have to drive off it at some point.

Better would be to have swifter implementation of an alternative site (such as Bath & West showground, used this year), even to the point of putting the early arrivals there if need-be rather than have them queuing up ready in all available local spots as happened this year.

The council are likely to be in wrist-slapping mode about this year but I can't see anything of it being considered fatal (apart from, perhaps, anyone that was already unchangeably hostile). It'll be a live-and-learn: get a better plan and move on.

hopefully as Neil says the council will slap wrists - its hardly Glastonbury's fault it hacked it down before the festival and that was probably the prime contributor.

It also didn't help they had to bypass people round the A303 at Wincanton I think it was as there was an accident and they closed the road. We pulled into the services just before then and got some coffees, then got back on the road and got to the roundabout just after they closed the road, typically. This was on the Wednesday morning - we were on site by around 11 I seem to remember but hit the accident a good few hours before that.

Lucky we were camped in the disabled field and the car parks were right on the main road virtually. We only needed to be towed a few metres.

• 2 months later...
On 26/08/2016 at 8:56 PM, guypjfreak said:

use to love being in the tents but cant do that nowadays with my back .....i must say its horrible when you go back to main camp and get told oh brummie and pakki were OFFFF there heads last night you should have seen it ....but heyho ups and downs ah

sorry I have NO idea why I posted this lol must have been a bit pissed  .....and just so I don't offend anyone pakki is the name of a very good friend ...I don't want any one to think that I was being offensive .

They only change the festival would have to implement in an identical scenario is to not have pushed the CV field opening back to 6pm. There was logic behind the decision but in hindsight it made things considerably worse. All they would have to do if the same thing happened again would be to take completely the opposite approach, actually open the fields a bit earlier and allow arrivals to be staggered throughout Tuesday so there was no impact on Wednesday arrivals. Nothing can be done about Weather, so that is the only change that could possibly make a difference in future years.

30 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They only change the festival would have to implement in an identical scenario is to not have pushed the CV field opening back to 6pm. There was logic behind the decision but in hindsight it made things considerably worse. 

I agree with what you say here, but no hindsight was needed to know it was the wrong decision. 

Myself and plenty of others knew exactly what would happen, and posted it on these forums.