Sziget Festival 2017

#1SzigetFan

On 25/07/2017 at 10:05 AM, Amyk160 said:

Personally I'd camp. Last year I headed towards the chill out area and had no problems at all, camped under the fairy lights and had plenty of shade too! 

Cheers!  After doing first half of Beni camping before finding a hotel to save my dying ass, Theres no way I'm camping abroad again, nevermind dragging tent etc across Europe. Getting too old to do that ever again :rolleyes:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a quick look on air b&b last night and there is a decent little studio flat which would put you pretty much right on the line to Filatorigat (the Sziget station) for £23 a night (£218 I think for 8 days). Once you have the city pass wristband, getting to and from does get very straightforward. The position is convenient for both the city and the festival - worth a look?

The apartment we had last year (off Booking.com) only sold out 5 hours before I looked last night! That was a really good one - 2 double beds and about £300 for 10 days!

Having had a look, definitely a fair bit dearer right now than when you book early and there is less choice.  We booked this years apartment before we even left Budapest last year! The one we have this year is right across the river from the festival, modern, with a balcony overlooking the river and a pool in the basement! - again - 10 days and just over £300 - about half the cost of a travelodge over here!

When I was younger I did also love camping and being right in amongst it - I miss that - it's a very special feeling. I feel very lucky that now that my older bones need a bit more luxury, I am also able to afford to provide it and still enjoy most of what festivals give.

Anne-Marie also cancelled without actually giving a reason, although she did issue an apology to the people who were hoping to see her. Weird to have 3 cancellations, for no apparent reason, across a similar genre in the space of a couple of weeks?

For me - no one I was that bothered about seeing but still feels odd and worrying. I wonder who they can get in at this notice?

Just asked a friend who is helping smaller festivals with bookings if it would be possible to bring Placebo, given the current situation. The thing is that Clean Bandit + Rita Ora don't request too much money (50K euros at most), meanwhile Placebo would request more than 500K euros (crazy money nowadays, compared to previous years) for a gig.

If Sziget has that money, we can talk about the other issues, then: it seems that Placebo is a band that is planning their concert dates 7-8 months earlier, so it would be a little bit unusual for them to plan a gig in less than 2 weeks.

The other problem is that Placebo also has a gig on the 12th of August, so the only solution to bring them at Sziget would be to move Hurts on Saturday and book Placebo for Sunday.

I would be happy with Editors and/or Franz Ferdinand as well, but they should try to do a surprise, if they really want to have a blast in the end.

I hink a big mane at 9 days notice is a big ask. I tweeted The Dub Pistols and they indicated they ould be up for it if they were asked! They aren't a maaive name but they are a fantastic festival band.

1 hour ago, neacaisa said:

No way placebo are a 500k euros band. I doubt they can fill a medium-sized stadium anywhere in the world atm.

And i doubt it will be such a solid replacement.

Well, you didn't read this then. It's like in football nowadays... a band that you could bring with 100K euro 5 years ago, you can bring now with 500K euros, if they are still relevant.

What is interesting, it seems that all the artists that cancelled Sziget (Charli XCX, Anne-Marie, Clean Bandit & Rita Ora) could be from the same booking agency: CODA agency. Something tells me that we won't see any of the names from their list as replacement.

Enter Shikari, Fatboy Slim or Pendulum (played other festivals managed by Sziget & they are available on that Saturday), Editors or Franz Ferdinand (other available names) would be cool replacements, but I dream of Placebo. :D

My oh my, what a disappointing lineup. I'm not even complaining about the size and popularity of names, I don't care about fame as long as it's good, but just going through the Spotify playlist was a near constant skip-fest. It feels like 95% of acts are bland boring pop and dime-a-dozen generic EDM. Hopefully the live performances can surprise me though, gotta remain optimistic. :)

15 minutes ago, Uncle Liam said:

Has anyone seen how many people are selling their tickets on ticketswap? It's ridiculous!

Have you took time out and actually counted them? I know you have been a tad negative on this years line up but geesh. :D

I think the amount of tickets being sold on their is testament to how people view the lineup! I did see that on the post they made the other day about Clean Bandit and Rita Ora playing, it was just comment after comment about how poor it actually is. 

Also, only the 5 day pass is actually sold out. 7 day passes ten a penny it seems. 

Anyway, if anyone wants to make me an offer on a 7 day ticket... go for it.

8 hours ago, Capzilla said:

My oh my, what a disappointing lineup. I'm not even complaining about the size and popularity of names, I don't care about fame as long as it's good, but just going through the Spotify playlist was a near constant skip-fest. It feels like 95% of acts are bland boring pop and dime-a-dozen generic EDM. Hopefully the live performances can surprise me though, gotta remain optimistic. :)

To be fair I thought that last year - as I went through the Spotify links there was nothing that inspired me, but then most of what I loved ended up being from smaller stages - bands that didn't feature on the app, or bands that were on the app but not with any sound. 

You won't find much from The World, Blues, Reggae or new stages playing on the app - but you can pass hours at any of these listening to some great sounds.

Edited by amfy
Y

17 hours ago, amfy said:

You won't find much from The World, Blues, Reggae or new stages playing on the app - but you can pass hours at any of these listening to some great sounds.

True. Once I manually started listening to artists from the world music and Europe stages I got a decent amount of acts to grace with a star in the app. It'll be fine as usual. Hopefully next year will be better though as that'll be my tenth Sziget and twenty-year anniversary of my first steps on the island.