Sziget Festival 2017

#1SzigetFan

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

Any band is much better in the dark. 

The problem with the XX at any festival these days, which will affect the XX more than any other band, is people are just going to talk all the way through it.  

Perhaps the most annoying part of festivals. Remember rock werchter few years back when Portishead played before coldplay, people taking no notice just chatting  all the way through.

Saying that as a massive xx fan, I would love them to play. Perhaps headlining main stage would be best, as no one would be playing after them. Headlining one of the other stages you would have the same problem.

17 minutes ago, thetime said:

Perhaps the most annoying part of festivals. Remember rock werchter few years back when Portishead played before coldplay, people taking no notice just chatting  all the way through.

Saying that as a massive xx fan, I would love them to play. Perhaps headlining main stage would be best, as no one would be playing after them. Headlining one of the other stages you would have the same problem.

Like Sigur Ros this year, it was filled with people waiting for Muse! That's why it's better for them to headline, with a strong sub (I don't know, Tame Impala?).

3 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

Any band is much better in the dark. 

The problem with the XX at any festival these days, which will affect the XX more than any other band, is people are just going to talk all the way through it.  

Not true. I saw Sigur Rós twice this year, for example. They were playing at sunset at Sziget and at midnight at Primavera Sound and I enjoyed them so much more at sunset with the atmosphere (and darkness) growing. And yes, some people were talking next to me at the beginning of the concert but me and my friends got mad and they just shut up. What a concert!

7 hours ago, ilbeyene said:

Not true. I saw Sigur Rós twice this year, for example. They were playing at sunset at Sziget and at midnight at Primavera Sound and I enjoyed them so much more at sunset with the atmosphere (and darkness) growing. And yes, some people were talking next to me at the beginning of the concert but me and my friends got mad and they just shut up. What a concert!

I saw Sigur Ros six times this summer and the worst two were Sziget and London. (The best two incidentally were Stockholm- onstage at 2245 I think, and Lowlands,- in a tent). Their show is totally wasted in daylight, especially the backdrop to Kveikur which you can barely see in anything other than complete darkness. It's the same with the XX, when they played before the Roses it was pretty much totally devoid of atmosphere. It was just some people playing some music on a stage. Compare that to when they went onstage at 2am in Porto a couple of months earlier, when they play in Darkness and have a well thought out lighting arrangement which adds to the overall experience. 

I think The XX- who I don't really mind, I just thing are way way too slow and quiet for a headline set, and don't really have the upbeat songs like Alt-J do to pull off a big slot- will end up in exactly the same slot they were in in 2012 (if they play of course, which considering Sziget's propensity for booking repeat acts past their popularity probably makes them somewhat likely) and they will be cursed by people talking waiting for the headliner. 

Anyway, it would be nice if they shook things up for the 25th anniversary. I very much doubt they will though. The 'end party' is definitely passe, with the same flames and the same fireworks every year. If I had to say who the big name guitar headliner is I'll go with The Killers, but I imagine they'll have be on the phone to the agents of Calvin Harris and Tiesto. 

I wonder if lessons have been learnt from booking Rhianna? I only bothered to look up some reviews yesterday (I went to watch Movits who were outstanding) and didn't realise she was so dreadful. 

Nice but as you say, unrealistic. I think that Jamie T, Green Day and Gorillaz if they do festivals are likely.

This is mine. Headliners: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Tame Impala (I wouldn't mind if they headlined but they would probably sub).
M83 returning is not likely because they can't have a better spot than last years, it would be a waste to put them on sub and let them play in the light.
+Smaller bands so they can have ideas: Tiken Jah and Mashrou Leila (Ivory Coast reggae and Lebanon pop-rock) for World music, Sticky Fingers, Ratatat and Thievery Corporation for A38 and Naaman for Europe stage (or A38, reggae from a french).

25023.jpg

Some interesting choices here. Jarre would be incredible, late on in the A-38, ditto The National and M83 are always welcome back.

I find it amazing they do this though because how on earth do we end up with the likes of Hardwell and Garrix headlining, when these polls are done before anyone has ever heard their one semi famous song*??????

*recording of them playing someone elses song. 

Edited by Uncle Liam

58 minutes ago, Pauwke99 said:

Someone an idea when we get the Szitisen prime packet?

For the 2016 edition some people received it before Christmas and some before New Year. I got my package before New Year, but it also depends on the post offices as all packets were sent before Christmas (they posted on Facebook when they sent the packages).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Noeliam said:

New aftermovie from 2015 footage!

Last year it was released on the 18th of november (the official one, so it should be done within a month).

So is this you and your friends or something you have found online? I really enjoyed it either way!

there are some great music suggestions above too! I went for

Arctic Monkeys

Kasabian

Vaccines

Spector

Hot Chip

Daft Punk

Underworld

Dub Pistols

Example

...and something else I can't remember now!.......but I also definitely want The Bohemian Betyars back!

We booked our flights on Monday which was the final thing we needed to do! Apartment just across the river and festival tickets already paid for - all there is to do now is to wait for next August to roll around!

13 minutes ago, amfy said:

So is this you and your friends or something you have found online? I really enjoyed it either way!

there are some great music suggestions above too! I went for

Arctic Monkeys

Kasabian

Vaccines

Spector

Hot Chip

Daft Punk

Underworld

Dub Pistols

Example

...and something else I can't remember now!.......but I also definitely want The Bohemian Betyars back!

We booked our flights on Monday which was the final thing we needed to do! Apartment just across the river and festival tickets already paid for - all there is to do now is to wait for next August to roll around!

It me and my friends :) Thank you!

Kasabian will play Reading and Leeds next year so if they have a new album to promote they might come back, even after 2 years (last day before the crap DJ would be fine! Excellent rock concert to end it and go early to the collosseum ;) 

I don't really know for the others, but Daft Punk is a dream shared by many; as for Arctic Monkeys, I don't think theyll be back so early, especially that TLSP is releasing/ has released a new EP.

You're so lucky!! I don't think I'll be able to buy mine before january :( but we go full camping for 10 days (and cough the next 10 weeks).