Reluctant Spouses Club

RichardWaller

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thank you for that information. Part of me would like to know exactly what stage it was, but a bigger part of me doesn't want me to waste precious time.

from what I can remember, the 2nd stage in '86 was constructed from logs (or at least, looked like it was, there wasn't much in the way of stage hire companies in those days), and it was sited somewhere around where the on-site markets office/wholesalers is nowadays ... tho it's not impossible I'm confused over what stage was what.

My partner showed no interest whatsoever in festivals (or music really) despite numerous attempts by me to get him to one. Since I've sorted a Glastonbury group out for myself and he's seen just how good it is he's desperate to go. Not a chance. Opportunity for me to be entirely selfish without worrying about him/other people. 

(We are happy and he is allowed to attend other, less significant festivals with me). 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

from what I can remember, the 2nd stage in '86 was constructed from logs (or at least, looked like it was, there wasn't much in the way of stage hire companies in those days), and it was sited somewhere around where the on-site markets office/wholesalers is nowadays ... tho it's not impossible I'm confused over what stage was what.

OK, curiosity is getting the better of me - here's the stage (and the band). It doesn't look made of logs to me but could be underneath I suppose ie a log base with a scaffold surround.

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

OK, curiosity is getting the better of me - here's the stage (and the band). It doesn't look made of logs to me but could be underneath I suppose ie a log base with a scaffold surround.

i couldn't be bothered to watch the whole vid, but from ma quick scan I didn't see a shot of the front of the stage, which would have been what looked a bit log-cabin-ish from where a punter would be stood.

What I did noticed tho was the inside roof of the stage, which suggests the stage is a heath robinson jobbie, built with whatever suitable materials were handy - so it could be what I remember.

But .... someone posted the line-up a while back, and there's no sign of a reggae band (who I think was Aswad, or Misty In Roots, but I forget), which is what I remember seeing on what I thought was the 2nd stage ... so perhaps I'm thinking of another stage after all.

Mrs P just screws her face up every time I ask if she'd like to join me at Glastonbury, even though I know what the answer is going to be every time. It's partly because she hates even the thought of camping and would rather be laid on a sun lounger than stood in a muddy field, but I think deep down she respects it's my little getaway for a week.

I was so evangelical about Glasto, my other half decided she wanted to go as well, so we both got tickets for this year. Then we started planning other holidays and I couldn't justify the $3.5k (all-in) it would cost me to get there and back. So we sold our tickets back. No big deal for her, but I was pretty gutted.

After buying our tickets for this year's festival, I grew wiser to her musical tastes and her dislike of 'roughing it', and decided Glastonbury wouldn't really measure up to what she was looking for, and I'd enjoy it a lot less having to put up with that. So I've talked her out of tickets for next year and am relishing the prospect of Glastonbury 2017 by myself.

• 2 weeks later...

The hairier half has been with me the last 7 times I've been - it's pretty much just us two who go these days. He's not a massive fan though - he'd never go without me and wouldn't work it for the sake of a ticket.

I don't think I could go without him; who else is going to pack up the tent while I'm busy dying a slow death on the Monday?

My husband has been with me 3 or 4 times but he's not really keen so I usually go with friends or go alone and meet up with friends there. Wouldn't miss it myself if I can get tickets. My son gets Glastonbury and often goes so I meet up with him if he's there. I like the freedom to see who I want and go where I want. 

On 16 August 2016 at 10:32 AM, ivan said:

On a similar theme.

Twice I have met people that have come wih their ex partner girlfriend as they had split up before Glastonbury but neither would back down and not go.

I went with an ex once and it was actually alright, but we were in the biggest group I've ever been to Glastonbury with, 8 of us. Not entirely sure when we broke up, but I had time for another break up before the festival... That was a weird year.

2003 though I benefited from this, one of my mates was gonna go with her boyfriend at the time but they split up and she ended up selling her ticket to me. Went on my own, had a great time.