Reluctant Spouses Club

RichardWaller

Not a band as far as I know, might be a good name though.

Don't want any of us to be forcing our other halves to go to Glastonbury, just curious to head from anyone who's either with or been with people who outright refuse to go, or have been and said never again.

Course it's not a deal maker or breaker or owt, just wonder if there's any effects. My wife thinks I'm a right sad bastard.

I used to go out with a woman who, as part of a band, played one of the two bigger stages at Glastonbury in 1986. She didn't want to come with me to Glastonbury during our time together though (which was after 1986). Unfortunately I can't remember the reason(s) why she didn't want to come with me though. Sometimes memory loss can be very annoying.

Yeah..my other half has no interest at all.  She's done other festivals before and likes live music, but finds the logistics and lack of creature comforts too much of a pain to event contemplate it.  There's points across the weekend when the romantic in me wishes that she was there to share something with me, but the realist knows that she wouldn't enjoy it, so what would be the point?  It works out well enough for us both. 

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My wife went twice before we met, in 1997 and 98, but didn't return due to the awful weather conditions.  Two years after we met, I finally convinced her to come with me... We met in 2005.

I go to Glastonbury on my own these days!

Terrible luck! This year was the 7th for me and the worst by some way but I've got a decent record overall of avoiding the wet stuff..

Am hoping to go next year but think wife will be a write off. We did get a bit arsey with each other after being sat in a car for 15 hours and me in pain with me recent hit and run injury and mud making it so much harder to get around... I hope to take her to a dry one, one year...

Yep, Mrs Q has absolutely zero interest in going.  She's not a huge live music fan anyway, and as she freely admits she has the attention span of a 2 year old on a sugar rush.  She would just get immensely bored, and then that would utterly ruin my time!  Suits me... :)

I think my other half will come at some stage i thnk.  We've done other festivals together but she's dead by the time we get home after a normal weekend festival so i think the length of Glasto scares her a bit.   Added to the fact i spend a week smashed and generally being a child :)

Edited by watsonjm

Mrs Worm has been more times than I have - but before we met 15 years ago.  I've done the last 8 and she wants to come with me like a hole in the head.

Anyway, I'm working there and would hate to have to factor her needs, wants and wishes in an already busy schedule. 

Does Clashfinder have "whatever the wife wants to see" as a colour these day?

xx

13 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Mrs Worm has been more times than I have - but before we met 15 years ago.  I've done the last 8 and she wants to come with me like a hole in the head.

Anyway, I'm working there and would hate to have to factor her needs, wants and wishes in an already busy schedule. 

Does Clashfinder have "whatever the wife wants to see" as a colour these day?

xx

I hear you , I like the fact I am there just worrying about myself , I get one week a year where i can get really messy and be as selfish as I want see who I want. not worry about anyone else. If my wife came I know I would enjoy it but I wouldn't get to be selfish messy me , who wonders off on his own meets randoms and appears like a magician a few hours later

11 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I hear you , I like the fact I am there just worrying about myself , I get one week a year where i can get really messy and be as selfish as I want see who I want. not worry about anyone else. If my wife came I know I would enjoy it but I wouldn't get to be selfish messy me , who wonders off on his own meets randoms and appears like a magician a few hours later

Bang on the money there shuttelp.  We're conditioned to think of being selfish as a bad thing, but it has its place and it's good for the soul :)

On a similar theme.

Twice I have met people that have come wih their ex partner girlfriend as they had split up before Glastonbury but neither would back down and not go.

I spent a good few hours with one lad that had effectively come on his own.   They came on a coach together , sorted out their own tents etc and then would meet up at the end to get the coach home.

Then one year I met a lad whose ex mum had disabled parking and camping and they were both her helper. . whilst her mum was around they made out to be a couple , but when she was not they just did their own thing. 

On 14/08/2016 at 10:51 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

one of the two bigger stages at Glastonbury in 1986.

that's all there was in 86 - and the 2nd stage was about as big as today's Glade.

My ex went each year with me for over a decade, and kept going herself for 15 years afterwards (just recently stopped). The wife has been re-introduced by me, and we've been all years since we got together.

There was a shorter-termer who wasn't so amour'd which might be why she ended up as a shorter-termer. :P

Edited by eFestivals

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The wife has been re-introduced by me, and we've been all years since we got together.

Yeah, but you still hate the fact that I was going long before you. :P:lol:

My Mrs thinks that a 3 Star Hotel is "roughing it" there is no way on earth that she'd contemplate five nights in a tent. Added to that she is no great lover of music so I don't even try to convince her. It also saves having to find someone to look after the dog.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

that's all there was in 96 - and the 2nd stage was about as big as today's Glade.

My ex went each year with me for over a decade, and kept going herself for 15 years afterwards (just recently stopped). The wife has been re-introduced by me, and we've been all years since we got together.

There was a shorter-termer who wasn't so amour'd which might be why she ended up as a shorter-termer. :P

Are you sure about that?  I can count at least 5 on this poster

1986Poster.jpg

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/history-1986/

Actually, there wasn't anybody playing in 96! ;)

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you sure about that?  I can count at least 5 on this poster

1986Poster.jpg

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/history-1986/

Actually, there wasn't anybody playing in 96! ;)

well, I'd completely forgotten that the acoustic stage went back that far - tho in 1986 I'd have probably seen the word 'acoustic' and then blanked it entirely.

And yeah, there was other stuff there - a mate spent a night in some marquee or other after getting lost - but everything was of a hugely lower level back then to now.

1986 was the first year that there was a 'stage 2', I believe. West Holts claims itself as the descendant of that stage (rather than Other) tho I can't remember the exact basis of that.