Acts you become obsessed with

FuzzyDunlop

Which acts have you known very little about / not really cared about before going to Glastonbury and have become massive fans of? For me this happens most years.

2009 - Neil Young. He was always someone I liked, seeing him was phenomenal. Visited his back catalogue and I'm a big fan.

2010 - Ray Davies - See Neil Young. I knew the hits, but he was great

2011 - The Eels - Loved them. Had heard very little of them beforehand.

2014  - This didn't really happen.

2015 - King Gizzard and the Lizzard wizard / Future Islands - The Gizzard are the best find in years. Been to see them twice since and another gig coming up next month. I love everything about them. Future Islands I love. My dad likes them and wants to come to their next tour.

2016 - DakkhaBrakkha - How great are they? Watched the Glasto set back quite a few times and I now have it (thanks  Mr 2 Hats). There are a few graet vids on YouTube too. Check out the tiny desk performance.

Wouldn't necessarily say that obsessed is the right word, but there are 2 for me.

3 Daft Monkeys - saw them at my first one in 2009 based on a flyer that was pasted on the longdrops.  Seen them every time I've been to Glastonbury since, plus once when they've toured this neck of the woods.

Dub Pistols - had given them a passing listen previously, but a full convert after seeing them in the Glade in 2015.  Unfortunately missed them this year, but on course to see them elsewhere so I'm coping :)

Also honourable mentions to Seasick Steve, Circa Waves and Ferocious Dog

2010 - The Joy Formidable and Mik Artistik. More than either of those, though, I simply became obsessed with the festival (I suspect this will be true for many of us the first year we went!).

2011 - QOTSA, Eels and Jenny & Johnny (and Jenny Lewis / Rilo Kiley). 

2013 - The Hives, First Aid Kit and Lucy Rose. 

2014 - Royal Blood, The War On Drugs, Wolf Alice and Vintage Trouble. 

2015 - The Dalai Lama. 

2016 - St Paul and the Broken Bones, Band of Horses, The Wanton Bishops and New York Brass Band. 

7 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

2010 - The Joy Formidable and Mik Artistik. More than either of those, though, I simply became obsessed with the festival (I suspect this will be true for many of us the first year we went!).

2011 - QOTSA, Eels and Jenny & Johnny (and Jenny Lewis / Rilo Kiley). 

2013 - The Hives, First Aid Kit and Lucy Rose. 

2014 - Royal Blood, The War On Drugs, Wolf Alice and Vintage Trouble. 

2015 - The Dalai Lama. 

2016 - St Paul and the Broken Bones, Band of Horses, The Wanton Bishops and New York Brass Band. 

Just seen the Hives at Kendal Calling.... Brilliant

1 hour ago, justperfect said:

Bring me the horizon for me.

Giving them another watch in November at the arena.

Don't know if it was because I was f**ked up that I got into them so much at glasto or if indeed they were quality.

Me too.. I can't stop listening to them now 

Fell in love with Elbow after watching them in 2011. Was just a very special moment in my life relizing there was more to life than my ex wife ! The sun was beating down and I was just taken away with the string section . Seen them 4 times since and look forward to my next helping. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno about "obsessed", but I wasn't really much a fan of Yeezy until I started road testing him ahead of G15 and reset my paradigms.

Same with Adele this year #slay

God bless this festival for budging me out of my comfort zone..

Im not that into hip hop. I wasnt into Kanye at all and this site made me look at his work much more closely. I appreciate Kanye's production, I now think he is a great producer, but I actually don't think he is a good of a rapper. When you compare him to Kendrick (again, this site got me into him) - Kendrick is on another level IMO. Id love him to play next year.

I didn't see Kanye, happy I made the right decision to see Leftfield.

Adele, Im gutted I missed her. Despite not being a huge fan. I should have. I enjoyed the iplayer playback.

Hinds for me. 

I knew of them, and liked the couple of tunes I'd heard prior to them being on the big poster. After that I pllayed the album to death in the run up, and how great it is, coupled with them putting on my second favourite set of the weekend has me 100% in love with them. 

Got tickets for their gig at St Luke's in Glasgow later in the year. And I bought a tshirt. Restraining order is in the post. 

Edited by The Orgazoid
Spelling.

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

3DM, Dub Pistols, Dreadzone, Mad Dog Mcrae, Ferocious Dog, Tankus The Henge, Bohemianauts - all introduced to me via Glasto (and some as Levs support bands). Now Kangaroo Moon and The Lost T-Shits of Atlantis - that's another story...

We clearly need to discuss bands over an ale in Avalon next year!

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

God bless this festival for budging me out of my comfort zone..

I very much concur, along with these forums (fora?). I've discovered a lot more electronica and dub as a result. And stuff like NAO and Frank Ocean wouldn't have been on my radar at all.

1st one that springs to mind for me is The Staves.  I just happened to stumble into a half full Avalon as they were starting their set in 2013. They sang like angels, swore like truckers and swigged lager straight from the tin.  When i turned to leave at the end, the tent and a good chunk of the field was full.  I listened to that album a lot in the following year. 

This year's discovery was Too Many T's (despite that apparently errant apostrophe).  Fantastic stuff.

And I suppose if I'm to go all the way back, I'd never heard of Orbital before seeing them in 1994.  We got on quite well afterwards :D 

13 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

1st one that springs to mind for me is The Staves.  I just happened to stumble into a half full Avalon as they were starting their set in 2013. They sang like angels, swore like truckers and swigged lager straight from the tin.  When i turned to leave at the end, the tent and a good chunk of the field was full.  I listened to that album a lot in the following year. 

I saw them the same year, but on the Other stage. Outstanding stuff. I only didn't include them in my list because I'd already heard them and played their album to death. There really is something special about sisters singing in harmony, isn't there? It's like a clichéd male fantasy turned into music! 

Stumbled into the bimble in on a Thursday night a few years ago and discovered skinny lister the energy of the band was unbelievable the songs lively and fun I was truly impressed .

When I got home I checked them out a bit more and have seen them numerous times since,as a longtime Pogues nut I've been waiting for a band who can get me dancing like a loon again .

Great live band gutted they haven't played glasto for 2 years now .