Acts you become obsessed with

FuzzyDunlop

15 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im not that into hip hop. I wasnt into Kanye at all and this site made me look at his work much more closely. I appreciate Kanye's production, I now think he is a great producer, but I actually don't think he is a good of a rapper. When you compare him to Kendrick (again, this site got me into him) - Kendrick is on another level IMO.  

What'sort often overlooked is how good a pop songwriter he is, a wizard of hooks.  He's got tunes to spare.

9 hours ago, russycarps said:

ozric tentacles. Wish I'd seen them this year

What on earth were you doing at that time on that afternoon that could have been better than watching the Ozrics? I can only think that your absence was due to some mysterious 'illness' that afternoon. There couldn't have been something better on at that time of day, even at Glastonbury

The joy of being an old fart is that I'm aware of a fairly wide range of music, particularly recordings.  What Glastonbury does is give you the chance to see people live.  One standout for me live that surprised me was Leonard Cohen, who I've always known from his albums but never realised just how stunning he was live.  Also Ray Davies for his Choral Kinks session that really injected a lot into songs I've known for a long time.

The other great live memory is Glenn Tilbrook, when he was with The Fluffers in the Left Field.  What a cracking live performer.  Great fun and someone I now make a point of catching if he's in the area.

Oh and the Dogs - Ferocious and Mad Dog McRae.

Went last year kind of into Slaves and left thinking they were one of my favourite bands after seeing their set on the introducing stage. Saw them a couple more times in the summer and the novelty of them wore off a bit as they're quite one dimensional, but I was obsessed with them for a few months.

In reverse, Kurt Vile live this year was a huge letdown. Listened to a lot of him before the festival and really like his music, but he was very dull live.

I "discovered" Frank Turner at Glastonbury 2010.  Am now a massive fan.  I guess obsessed would be the right word.

This year I loved P J Harvey.  I had always liked her from a distance and even own a few CDs, but I have been listening to her with renewed interest after her fantastic show.  Rewatched the gig on iPlayer too.

On 8/5/2016 at 3:22 PM, Odessa said:

In reverse, Kurt Vile live this year was a huge letdown. Listened to a lot of him before the festival and really like his music, but he was very dull live.

I was slightly disappointed with his set too, playlist as well....was hoping that my Vile-Grant-Garfunkel run would be epic, but wasn't the best start.

On 8/5/2016 at 4:20 AM, russycarps said:

ozric tentacles. Wish I'd seen them this year

didn't you miss PJ Harvey too somehow, after raving on here that you'd decided you were going to see her instead of Beck after the reviews of her early summer sets. sounds like you had a truly 'miss' of a festival this year, not your best?

I think mine this year has to be Tame Impala, not really paid much attention before, despite their standing.

Happened to see their set at the Pyramid and was totally blown away. Love Kevin Parkers vocal coupled with the atmospheric guitar and keyboards. 

Needless to say this has featured heavily in my car since!!! Takes me back to that sunny afternoon, complete with Rainbow!!!! Perfect Glasto fit!

Mine was MGMT at The Park stage in 2008 I think it was. I'd somehow completely missed hearing any of their tunes, and was completely blown away. Found the whole set really comedic, and all the crowd singing along to the synth lines was brilliant. Became obsessed for a good year or so after.

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Radiohead. 

Although I've never seen them at the festival, to say I've become obsessed with the idea is putting it mildly.

My wife said that listening to Radiohead was the only thing that  kept her sane whilst she was in an asylum. I've since been introduced to some of it and it's mind boggling. So perfectly imagined and executed.

On 8/4/2016 at 8:39 PM, fatyeti24 said:

1st one that springs to mind for me is The Staves.  I just happened to stumble into a half full Avalon as they were starting their set in 2013. They sang like angels, swore like truckers and swigged lager straight from the tin.  When i turned to leave at the end, the tent and a good chunk of the field was full.  I listened to that album a lot in the following year. 

This year's discovery was Too Many T's (despite that apparently errant apostrophe).  Fantastic stuff.

And I suppose if I'm to go all the way back, I'd never heard of Orbital before seeing them in 1994.  We got on quite well afterwards :D 

On 8/4/2016 at 8:57 PM, mr gumby said:

I saw them the same year, but on the Other stage. Outstanding stuff. I only didn't include them in my list because I'd already heard them and played their album to death. There really is something special about sisters singing in harmony, isn't there? It's like a clichéd male fantasy turned into music! 

Listening now.  Highlight so far is the outro to Let Me Down.

Interesting to see peoples thoughts on Kurt Vile above.

I went to see him based solely on the Pretty Pimpin video and after 3 songs was on the verge of leaving his set as was underwhelmed but the sun came out and next song Goldtone won me over completely and having enjoyed the rest of the set have been playing the Wakin on a Pretty Daze album ever since. Yeah! Yeah! 

On 10/08/2016 at 4:42 PM, DaveyGee said:

I think mine this year has to be Tame Impala, not really paid much attention before, despite their standing.

Happened to see their set at the Pyramid and was totally blown away. Love Kevin Parkers vocal coupled with the atmospheric guitar and keyboards. 

Needless to say this has featured heavily in my car since!!! Takes me back to that sunny afternoon, complete with Rainbow!!!! Perfect Glasto fit!

Me too! Ashamed to say I knew nothing about them and only caught a couple of songs as I wandered past the Pyramid. After being convinced by a fan we met at Latitude, I bought 'Currents' and it's been on repeat in the car (and my head) ever since. I'd thought their dreamy echoing quality was down to the Pyramid's sound system (and the fug of weed smoke), but it turns out they really sound like that! As soon as 'Let it Happen' played I was right back at the Pyramid on that evening in June. Perfect.

7 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Me too! Ashamed to say I knew nothing about them and only caught a couple of songs as I wandered past the Pyramid. After being convinced by a fan we met at Latitude, I bought 'Currents' and it's been on repeat in the car (and my head) ever since. I'd thought their dreamy echoing quality was down to the Pyramid's sound system (and the fug of weed smoke), but it turns out they really sound like that! As soon as 'Let it Happen' played I was right back at the Pyramid on that evening in June. Perfect.

Hey DM

Yeah agree. Let it Happen is the one song that's on repeat for me as well :D absolutely love it!!!

Last year it was Spiritualized, particularly Shine a light...what a moment!!!!

Not my normal fix of music, i'm normally electronic / house etc :o