Mercury Music Prize 2016

dentalplan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

:rolleyes: I should have seen that coming.

It really doesn't tho. There's no decent riffs, it's got no balls and goes nowhere. :)

I like my rock to actually have something interesting going on ;)

I agree Royal Blood and Biffy are rock though, not that I'm a Biffy fan. 

Still, 2 bands in the last 20 years? 

I think we do actually have some common ground, British rock/metal hasn't been the strongest in recent years, but there's still a dearth of rock/metal being nominated when some of the obscure shit that has been nommed exists!

46 minutes ago, thegremlin_1999 said:

It really doesn't tho. There's no decent riffs, it's got no balls and goes nowhere. :)

I like my rock to actually have something interesting going on ;)

I agree Royal Blood and Biffy are rock though, not that I'm a Biffy fan. 

Still, 2 bands in the last 20 years? 

I think we do actually have some common ground, British rock/metal hasn't been the strongest in recent years, but there's still a dearth of rock/metal being nominated when some of the obscure shit that has been nommed exists!

Savages has no balls and nothing interesting going on yet Royal Blood and Only Revolutions do?

I'm glad they're not nominating albums that you're suggesting in that case.

Savages is the only thing I like on this year's list.  The rest is just a bit meh (yes including Bowie, I just didn't get on with that albun).  Must be getting old.

I hope Bowie doesn't win... it would look too much like a token gesture.  If he was still alive I don't doubt that he would have been nominated, but I don't think he would have won.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2016 at 7:47 PM, Will-2609 said:

Yeah I'm really shit at keeping on top of new music and often use the Mercury shortlist to catch up. 

Our survey says....  Yes! Top points, the number one most likely thing to be said by middle class dinner party hosts!

• 5 weeks later...

I am, I've taken an unusual amount of interest in it this year.  I think Kano should win it, myself, but there are some great records in the running.  Bowie taking a posthumous nod or Radiohead finally breaking their duck can't be ruled out, but the award is more often about the merit of the record in question rather than the career or respect of the artists.

From the guardian live blog: " 

• It remains a disgrace that metal is completely ignored by the Mercury prize. A thriving, commercially successful scene that simply never gets a look-in. I asked Mercury chief judge Simon Frith about this once and his response – I paraphrase, but barely – was that he didn’t care about metal because it’s not really proper music."

Oh dear :lol: