Recycling of Cups

parsonjack

Bit of a surprise last night watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's expose of the coffee giants misleading claims that their coffee cups are recyclable - which seems to be some way from the truth.

Obviously GFL have made moves to cut down on cup waste with introduction of the steel cups...but does anyone know if the paper cups still in use that we all so diligently place in the 'recycling' bins actually are recycled?  

Seems that the majority of these type of cups can't be recycled due to the polyethylene content that keeps them from leaking...and they also can't be made from recycled paper as it contains a level of dyes that is not permitted due to the risk of leeching into the content.

Interestingly he also spoke to a guy who has invented a fully recyclable cup and is trying to get the coffee giants interested...perhaps GFL should give him a call.

By coincidence I had started carrying a "thermomug" in my car to have my coffee in (Just take it into the Coffee Emporium of your choice and they will happily put said caffeine hit into the vessel of your choice) I'd like to claim it was some prescient green initiative of my own but it was just that it keeps my coffee hotter!

I suspect that the cups used at the festival are "waxed" rather than plastic coated hence why they do go soggy after a while but does make them compostable?

There is one plant in the whole of the U.K. That deals with and recycles disposed of coffee cups less than 1% of Costa Coffeee cups unfortunately they are the only chain that uses it at the moment. These programs do make you think a bit and opens your eyes to the scale of the problem