Coming from Canada...

Ex_ollie

Hi all

Missed this year due to relocating to British Columbia but aiming to come for 2017 and bring the Canadian girlfriend. I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer. 

1) are there separate ticket severs for international buyers? Does it make it easier to get a ticket? 

2) we are flying to the UK for a visit on October 8th landing 9am on the 9th. What are the chances this is the day they come out for ga? 

3) if we are lucky enough to get tickets, will they be sent to us here in Canada or can I get the sent to my parents in the uk? 

4) can I use a uk credit card to buy from a different country and vice versa? 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Ex_ollie said:

Hi all

Missed this year due to relocating to British Columbia but aiming to come for 2017 and bring the Canadian girlfriend. I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer. 

1) are there separate ticket severs for international buyers? Does it make it easier to get a ticket? 

2) we are flying to the UK for a visit on October 8th landing 9am on the 9th. What are the chances this is the day they come out for ga? 

3) if we are lucky enough to get tickets, will they be sent to us here in Canada or can I get the sent to my parents in the uk? 

4) can I use a uk credit card to buy from a different country and vice versa? 

Thanks! 

Hi Ollie,

To answer each of your questions in turn:

1) I don't believe there are separate servers, chances are the same for everybody!

2) I think Glasto HQ are working towards tickets going on general sale on 2nd October. 

3) I believe you can enter whatever address you like on your registration page. Might be worth listing your Canadian address initially though as you can amend this / or enter a separate delivery address afterwards should you be lucky enough to secure yourself a ticket.

4) Not sure on this one - I know a credit card needs to be used for purchases made overseas, although not 100% sure if the card needs to have been issued overseas. 

Keep an eye on the official site as that will get updated regularly :)

Edited by djdavejohnson

4 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

3. It doesn't matter what address is on the registration, you can change it with See. Mine this year was still my old address and I changed it about a month before dispatch when I realised. The address is just for ticket delivery.

The one to be careful with is email address.  I used to use my work email address for it, and when I moved jobs I really struggled to get the email changed on my registration (left it all a bit last minute for T-Day).

Suffice it to say I don't use work email anymore!

Id recommend using your parents address for your registration. We had real issues last year with australian postcodes. The registration went through fine, but on ticket sale day it wouldnt accept the postcode. We got them in the resale after we'd changed the registration to a UK postcode. 

That's interesting.  I've ordered from Canada this year, and no issues with the post code.  Tickets were mailed to my home address, and required a signature on delivery. In 2015, I did coach tickets, which was nice because I didn't have to worry about forgetting my ticket at home or losing on the way to the festival.

What I did have an issue was with my Visa card.  I got through registration, and Visa declined the payment.  After a brief moment of terror, I was able to complete the purchase with another credit card.

I

16 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

Hi Ollie,

To answer each of your questions in turn:

1) I don't believe there are separate servers, chances are the same for everybody!

2) I think Glasto HQ are working towards tickets going on general sale on 2nd October. 

3) I believe you can enter whatever address you like on your registration page. Might be worth listing your Canadian address initially though as you can amend this / or enter a separate delivery address afterwards should you be lucky enough to secure yourself a ticket.

4) Not sure on this one - I know a credit card needs to be used for purchases made overseas, although not 100% sure if the card needs to have been issued overseas. 

Keep an eye on the official site as that will get updated regularly :)

I doubt it makes a difference. 2 years ago my credit card was declined and in the last day of payment panic I just went straight to using my Irish debit card with my cousins address in the UK so I'd assume its the same the other way round.

I'd recommend registering with your parents address just to keep things simple. Can't see any issue with using a uk credit card overseas as the servers you'll be accessing running the webpage are (I think) in the UK, plus I use my UK card all the time from overseas to pay for stuff in the UK.

5 hours ago, John the Moth said:

I'd recommend registering with your parents address just to keep things simple. Can't see any issue with using a uk credit card overseas as the servers you'll be accessing running the webpage are (I think) in the UK, plus I use my UK card all the time from overseas to pay for stuff in the UK.

I don't think you're allowed to use a UK Credit Card are you. I thought it had to be a debit card no?

24 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I don't think you're allowed to use a UK Credit Card are you. I thought it had to be a debit card no?

No you can't use a UK credit card (or any credit card for that matter) if purchasing the ticket from the UK - a debit card must be used. When purchasing a ticket from overseas a credit card must be used and not a debit card. There's some debate around purchasing overseas as to whether or not a UK issued credit card would be acceptable, or whether it has to be a non-UK issued credit card that's used.

Edited by djdavejohnson

I have my doubts about whether a UK credit card old be accepted at all. Otherwise you could just use a UK credit card for UK purchases and we know they are not allowed.

From GFL's Website:

Tickets purchased in resales after April 8th 2016 must be paid for in full at point of booking. 
Payment by card for UK sales will be by the following debit cards only – Visa Debit, Visa Electron, Switch/Maestro Domestic and Solo. Credit cards will not be accepted for UK sales. For the purpose of ticket sales the UK includes Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

INTERNATIONAL BOOKINGS

All international ticket buyers must be registered in the same way as UK bookers. International ticket purchases can only be made using either Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

If you are not a UK Citizen but are currently in the UK, and have a UK debit card and UK address, you can buy in the same way as a UK resident.

International tickets will be sent out by registered international post unless stated otherwise. Please ensure you give your full international address when booking. If you are unable to receive your tickets by international post, please contact See Tickets immediately upon receiving your balance payment confirmation email.

An overseas resident can ask a friend who is resident in the UK to purchase on their behalf, using that friend’s UK address, or alternatively, a UK resident can purchase a ticket for an overseas resident as one of their ticket purchases – provided that overseas resident is registered.

As an international buyer 2013, from Sweden, this is my experience.

1. Think the servers are the same, as you send requests to seetickets. I think i've read they're separate phone numbers for domestic and international, and that it might be easier trying to get tickets calling than on the web since then you're competing with 500 000 other people. But I can't back it up. 

Stay on the efestivals forum the entire time! On 2013 it directly helped since someone found a hole in the way your browser connect to seetickets, you changed a line in a regedit file and you went straight past the queue. Won't happen again I guess but with some luck you might find some small advantage lurkin on these forums.

2. Answered above.

3. Our tickets arrived in Sweden the last week of may, almost a month in advance.

4. I specifically applied for a credit card, from my local bank in Sweden but its still mastercard/visa obviously, with the sole purpose to use it incase it was needed for Glastonbury. The rules clearly says "international buyers need a credit card", but in Sweden I would assume like 10% of the population actually have a credit card, business cards included since using debit card is by far the norm here.

So on the big day, what happened? Yea I obviously tried using my debit card first due to habit, but it wouldn't accept. Went with my credit card and boom! tickets confirmed! However, when paying the balance in march, it still said on the webpage that a credit card is required, but then again i first tried my debit card, and it worked. 

But yea get a credit card.

Edited by Ovechkin

• 7 months later...

OK so now we have our tickets and booked flights my next question...

Is it wise to loose out on some money transfer fee's and pay the balance from the UK and so have the tickets sent to my parents, or is the whole international post trustworthy enough. Any past experience would be great to hear! 

Cheers 

You can always phone up See after they've been paid for but before they're posted and change the postal address. But even after that there is still options and See are very helpful. Last year one of our group had her ticket lost by the US Postal Service. Once we had a letter from USPS confirming it was lost, See arranged for a ticket to be picked up on the Weds from the onsite box office. That was all arranged in the last days before the festival.

International tickets are sent out with signed for recorded delivery so they system is pretty foolproof and See will work through any issues. Last year, because she was flying and travelling round the UK first and couldn't keep in contact, See got her to authorise me to deal with her ticket arrangements so they have plenty of options. If its lost before bring signed for, you will be ok and they'll sort it out. The only situation where you are f*cked is if the ticket is signed for and then lost. So essentially do you trust your parents to sign for the tickets and then not mislay them? You might also need to check they can actually sign for them - if the delivery is addressed to your name , they'll need your ID to show the postman.

Thanks for the info guys. 

Our postman is pretty lax back in the UK - it is Royal Mail that delivers them hey? 

I have a Po Box out here so no postman comes anywhere near our house... Guess that rules out international postage anyway 

2013 our tickets came as recommended post to Sweden (dunno whats its called in english speaking world), with a track ID to the post office and it had to be signed by me when I picked it up. I think I got the tickets in the third week of may.

Edited by Ovechkin