I don't know if this has been posted, but every festival should offer this - Class A drug testing

mike86

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27 July 2016 at 9:53 PM, DeanoL said:

I'll be honest - my goal isn't to save lives. I'm in the "legalise it all and let them kill themselves if they want" group. If people are correctly educated on the dangers and there's a guarantee that what they're buying is what they say it is, then if some people want to be idiots that's their business.

This sort of thing essentially protects people from something that wouldn't be a problem if you just legalised it all.

Some of the most fascinating people I've met have taken drugs and some of the most intelligent scientists have also expanded their consciousness with drug taking, hard to call them idiots.  
Charm x

I can imagine if Glastonbury offered this there would be a shitstorm of negative publicity. It's a shame because it's a great idea and could potentially save a lot of people from some really horrific experiences. 

4 hours ago, Charm said:

Some of the most fascinating people I've met have taken drugs and some of the most intelligent scientists have also expanded their consciousness with drug taking, hard to call them idiots.  
Charm x

If they overdose or don't take take the right care when they've been told exactly what to do then they're still idiots, regardless of how fascinating or how many PhDs they have.

Sorry but I just don't think drugs need to be kept illegal just because some people will miss use them.

5 hours ago, Charm said:

Charm x

Paul Erdos is quite a fascinating guy to look up. One of the greatest mathematicians of the past century but a total addict to speed

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

If they overdose or don't take take the right care when they've been told exactly what to do then they're still idiots, regardless of how fascinating or how many PhDs they have.

Sorry but I just don't think drugs need to be kept illegal just because some people will miss use them.

What about people with chronic mental health problems who overdose on drugs? Are they idiots too? It's a rather sweeping generalisation. 

On 29 July 2016 at 7:34 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Ruins the placebo effect though doesn't it?

That placebo remark reminds me of my favourite Ab Fab episode ever - the France episode - when Patsy gets caught with a ton of very expensive 'white powder' in her luggage at the airport and discovers it's completely legal and innocuous.

"It's the horrible realisation that I must have actually enjoyed playing ping-pong!"

11 hours ago, zero000 said:

What about people with chronic mental health problems who overdose on drugs? Are they idiots too? It's a rather sweeping generalisation. 

Well that probably depends on how you define idiot.

But once you get in to that territory it's reducto ad absurdum. Do we ban cars in case the mentally ill walk out into traffic? Or plug sockets in case someone electrocutes themselves? Or over-the-counter meds as you can overdose on those too?

Drugs are far from the most dangerous thing in our society and 99% of the danger that does exist with them comes from the illiegalisation of them. Let people do what they want with their own bodies. It shouldn't be anyone else's business.

12 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Paul Erdos is quite a fascinating guy to look up. One of the greatest mathematicians of the past century but a total addict to speed

I've just looked him up and he is indeed an interesting bloke. I may follow his addiction as I've just found someone who can supply 7 gramms of quality speed for £25! I'm shit at maths mind.

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Well that probably depends on how you define idiot.

But once you get in to that territory it's reducto ad absurdum. Do we ban cars in case the mentally ill walk out into traffic? Or plug sockets in case someone electrocutes themselves? Or over-the-counter meds as you can overdose on those too?

Drugs are far from the most dangerous thing in our society and 99% of the danger that does exist with them comes from the illiegalisation of them. Let people do what they want with their own bodies. It shouldn't be anyone else's business.

I think we're coming from essentially the same standpoint here, I was merely questioning the use of the word idiot in that particular context. Even within that context I believe, like you, that legalisation would significantly reduce the risks associated with substance misuse.