Weekend in Pilton, singing with Mr Eavis

TheNewUnion

Apologies, this is a long post. Skip to the end for photos if you prefer!

Weekend in Pilton

When I go to work tomorrow and someone asks me what we got up to at the weekend, I will proudly say that I sat in a barn, singing hymns with Michael Eavis.

Unsurprisingly there is a story behind this so I’ll do my best to relay the story in the hope that you might be interested.

So here we go. A few weeks ago we had still not found anywhere for a weekend away and running out of ideas we said sod it, lets got to Glastonbury again. If nothing else we wanted to purge the horror of the 14 hour traffic jam from our minds and prove that the drive really isn’t that bad. So jumped on Air BnB and moments later we were staying in Pilton for the weekend.

Fast forward a couple of week and away we go, with only a minor hold up on the M5 we cruised to Pilton and, as it was too early to check in to our accommodation, spent the day in Glastonbury town. Climbed the Tor, wandered around town and generally took in the atmosphere. You can certainly see why the festival took the name of the town.

After a refreshing pint, we headed back to Pilton and checked in. Got the lowdown on the weekends village activities, Battle of the Bands in the Working Men’s Club on Saturday and a Cream Tea in the Thithe Barn on Sunday. We planned to do both (but failed on Battle of the Bands, due to our 12 mile hike in the day wearing us out).

Deciding on a wander to get our appetites up we headed deep into Pilton Village. It’s  a real eye opener to see what lies down the lanes you only ever see blocked by stewards and only accessible to those with Village passes. it really is a lovely Village.

Our wander was also intended to locate the WMC for that evenings festivities and also the Tithe Barn for Sunday’s cream tea. We found the WMC no problem but the Barn proved more of a challenge, but we wandered on anyway assuming it would be "just around the next corder”. What was around the corner however, was the festival site. There were no obvious barriers to entry, no locked gates and we didn’t climb a gate, dodge through a fence or anything, we just walked around a corner and we were on site.

Weren’t sure what was what but wandered on anyway, we could hear people about and figured that if we weren’t supposed to be there then we’d find out soon enough. The path we took led us to the backside of The Woods via what I think would be Hitchen Hill camping. Onward we go, to the pond in The Woods where we find a chap and his pal fishing. Had a nice chat with them and wished the luck with their catch. And so, on we go. Turning left we find ourselves on the access road that runs to the backstage area of The Pyramid. At this point we’re thinking “I’m not sure if we should be here” but every time a vehicle goes past all we get is a “hiya” and a friendly wave. So on we go. Stood under the Pyramid, and marvelled at how small the site looked. I mean really small. It’s HUGE when you are there with 130,000 other people but when it’s empty it looks like there is no way that it can hold the numbers it does. Met four other festival go-ers who had walked all the way from the top of Glastonbury Tor to the festival site, fair play to them it’s a hell of a long way. Had a nice chat and went our separate ways.

On we wander and try to work out where everything was only a few short weeks ago. It’s really quite difficult to get your bearings when there’s nothing there but fields. We pushed on deciding to complete a loop via Muddy Lane and then back to the village. There was a set of Long Drops still standing just out of the bottom of Muddy Lane, a little reminder of what everything looked like the last time we were here. Muddy Lane did not live up to its name this time, it was baked hard like concrete, you could scarsely believe that it was anything other than a concrete track. Walked across the top of the Pyramid field and stood looking at the whole site ahead of us, really strange when it was empty. Security rolled by in a Land Rover, another wave and on we go. I picked up a handful of tent pegs that I saw on the paths as we walked, they were disposed off appropriately on our arrival back in the village. Our intent to go to the Battle of the Bands was curtailed by the 12 mile hike and a huge plate of food in the Crown Inn. Onwards to bed! I managed half a can of Marston’s Pedigree and a chapter of Biggles and that was me done - we were both asleep before the clock struck 10 (In our defence we set off from Wigan at 7am).

I hope you’re still with me and not bored of my figurative and literal ramblings. If you want to, jump to the end for the link to the pictures, or stick with me and hear how we came to be singing Hymns with Michael Eavis……

Sunday arrives and, surprise surprise, it’s raining in Pilton. No matter, only a light drizzle so off to Glastonbury we go. There was a vintage fair in the main street so we strolled amongst the stalls for a few hours and narrowly avoided spending every penny we have on old stuff, records and refurbished furniture. After a quick pint, we headed back to Pilton and set about a stroll to build an appetite for the afternoons Cream Tea.

We decided on another jaunt to the farm as I wanted to slay the Gate C demon. We didn’t make it into Campervan East this year so I wanted to get there, albeit a month late. So taking the same route to site, we headed beyond the Pyramid, and across Theatre and Circus to Acoustic then beyond to Gate C. This is where we encountered the first locked gate of the weekend so, ardent followers of the Countryside Code, we didn’t advance further. Did have a chat with a couple of Festival go-ers who were having a drive around the area and wanted to see the site. Turned around and you could clearly see where the “lanes” where at Gate C, so I walked through, finally arriving on site as we’d intended to 1 Month before! As we head back we come across another security Land Rover and as is the norm, a cheery hello and friendly wave and on we go.

As you will (hopefully, if I have shared the album correctly) see there was a number of abandoned caravans and a team working hard to pull everything that was recyclable from everything that had been left behind, but mostly I was very impressed by the state of the site. A huge pat on the back to everyone involved in the cleanup exercise.

Off the farm until next year we finally find the Barn and it’s Cream Tea O’Clock! Joining the queue for a cup of tea and a slice of cake we notice that everyones favourite dairy farmer is in the Barn chatting away, tea cup in hand. At this point, we’re both looking at each other going “this is surreal”. Have a chat with a few folks, including Michael’s first wife Ruth, who was lovely. End up sat with a couple of chaps and have gab, another cup of tea, another scone and another cup of tea. Mr Eavis wanders by and has a chat with a German couple visiting the village then, heading back across the barn, stops where we are sat…. “ are you on holiday then” booms the voice of the most famous farmer we know!

Trying to keep it together we say yes and have a little chat about the village etc. Michael asks if we are festival go-ers, of course we respond in the positive and we have a little chat about the festival. He apologises for the mud and we have a general chit chat about this years festival. At this point, the cream tea has ended and the Songs of Praise is about to start, M.E. looks at his hymn book and says “I need my glasses” trots off, comes back bespectacled and pulls up his chair next to me. "You don’t look like the hymn singing types" he says we laugh and respond “when in Rome”. We’re now boxed in and there is no escape, so we spend about 30 minutes of a church service sat next to Michael Eavis whilst he sings along to the Hymns, tells me which hymn is which and jokes around about having to keep standing up and sitting down as each hymn starts and ends.

Once the service ends Michael sticks around and makes the time for a chat, we tell him about our experiences at Bath and West and he’s genuinely interested, telling us how much it cost to run the B&W site at the last minute and how much it cost to run the shuttle bus 24 hours a day. We grabbed a picture, lots of handshakes and he seems genuinely pleased that so many people love the festival. He did the usual chit chat about work, what we are planning to do the next day, will we be going to the festival next year (yes, ticket gods permitting). We bid him farewell then headed off to the Preisleigh for Tea, B&W was packed as there was a Church/Worship festival on. They can clearly handle big numbers so perhaps it might be used to greater effect next year.

One final pint in Pilton WMC and our adventure comes to an end.

Anyway, what you really want are pictures, so if I have done this right here they are. I’m not sure hot to share individually but I am sure that everyone can work out whats what.

Sorry for the ramble, I am sure you got bored. I love details so please feel free to ignore as much as you can.

tl/dr: Went to Pilton, walked around the farm, sang hymns with Michael Eavis.

Photos!

https://goo.gl/photos/Ga11L1zmVx6fSoB59

21 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

Weekend in Pilton

When I go to work tomorrow and someone asks me what we got up to at the weekend, I will proudly say that I sat in a barn, singing hymns with Michael Eavis.

Unsurprisingly there is a story behind this so I’ll do my best to relay the story in the hope that you might be interested.

So here we go. A few weeks ago we had still not found anywhere for a weekend away and running out of ideas we said sod it, lets got to Glastonbury again. If nothing else we wanted to purge the horror of the 14 hour traffic jam from our minds and prove that the drive really isn’t that bad. So jumped on Air BnB and moments later we were staying in Pilton for the weekend.

Fast forward a couple of week and away we go, with only a minor hold up on the M5 we cruised to Pilton and, as it was too early to check in to our accommodation, spent the day in Glastonbury town. Climbed the Tor, wandered around town and generally took in the atmosphere. You can certainly see why the festival took the name of the town.

After a refreshing pint, we headed back to Pilton and checked in. Got the lowdown on the weekends village activities, Battle of the Bands in the Working Men’s Club on Saturday and a Cream Tea in the Thithe Barn on Sunday. We planned to do both (but failed on Battle of the Bands, due to our 12 mile hike in the day wearing us out).

Deciding on a wander to get our appetites up we headed deep into Pilton Village. It’s  a real eye opener to see what lies down the lanes you only ever see blocked by stewards and only accessible to those with Village passes. it really is a lovely Village.

Our wander was also intended to locate the WMC for that evenings festivities and also the Tithe Barn for Sunday’s cream tea. We found the WMC no problem but the Barn proved more of a challenge, but we wandered on anyway assuming it would be "just around the next corder”. What was around the corner however, was the festival site. There were no obvious barriers to entry, no locked gates and we didn’t climb a gate, dodge through a fence or anything, we just walked around a corner and we were on site.

Weren’t sure what was what but wandered on anyway, we could hear people about and figured that if we weren’t supposed to be there then we’d find out soon enough. The path we took led us to the backside of The Woods via what I think would be Hitchen Hill camping. Onward we go, to the pond in The Woods where we find a chap and his pal fishing. Had a nice chat with them and wished the luck with their catch. And so, on we go. Turning left we find ourselves on the access road that runs to the backstage area of The Pyramid. At this point we’re thinking “I’m not sure if we should be here” but every time a vehicle goes past all we get is a “hiya” and a friendly wave. So on we go. Stood under the Pyramid, and marvelled at how small the site looked. I mean really small. It’s HUGE when you are there with 130,000 other people but when it’s empty it looks like there is no way that it can hold the numbers it does. Met four other festival go-ers who had walked all the way from the top of Glastonbury Tor to the festival site, fair play to them it’s a hell of a long way. Had a nice chat and went our separate ways.

On we wander and try to work out where everything was only a few short weeks ago. It’s really quite difficult to get your bearings when there’s nothing there but fields. We pushed on deciding to complete a loop via Muddy Lane and then back to the village. There was a set of Long Drops still standing just out of the bottom of Muddy Lane, a little reminder of what everything looked like the last time we were here. Muddy Lane did not live up to its name this time, it was baked hard like concrete, you could scarsely believe that it was anything other than a concrete track. Walked across the top of the Pyramid field and stood looking at the whole site ahead of us, really strange when it was empty. Security rolled by in a Land Rover, another wave and on we go. I picked up a handful of tent pegs that I saw on the paths as we walked, they were disposed off appropriately on our arrival back in the village. Our intent to go to the Battle of the Bands was curtailed by the 12 mile hike and a huge plate of food in the Crown Inn. Onwards to bed! I managed half a can of Marston’s Pedigree and a chapter of Biggles and that was me done - we were both asleep before the clock struck 10 (In our defence we set off from Wigan at 7am).

I hope you’re still with me and not bored of my figurative and literal ramblings. If you want to, jump to the end for the link to the pictures, or stick with me and hear how we came to be singing Hymns with Michael Eavis……

Sunday arrives and, surprise surprise, it’s raining in Pilton. No matter, only a light drizzle so off to Glastonbury we go. There was a vintage fair in the main street so we strolled amongst the stalls for a few hours and narrowly avoided spending every penny we have on old stuff, records and refurbished furniture. After a quick pint, we headed back to Pilton and set about a stroll to build an appetite for the afternoons Cream Tea.

We decided on another jaunt to the farm as I wanted to slay the Gate C demon. We didn’t make it into Campervan East this year so I wanted to get there, albeit a month late. So taking the same route to site, we headed beyond the Pyramid, and across Theatre and Circus to Acoustic then beyond to Gate C. This is where we encountered the first locked gate of the weekend so, ardent followers of the Countryside Code, we didn’t advance further. Did have a chat with a couple of Festival go-ers who were having a drive around the area and wanted to see the site. Turned around and you could clearly see where the “lanes” where at Gate C, so I walked through, finally arriving on site as we’d intended to 1 Month before! As we head back we come across another security Land Rover and as is the norm, a cheery hello and friendly wave and on we go.

As you will (hopefully, if I have shared the album correctly) see there was a number of abandoned caravans and a team working hard to pull everything that was recyclable from everything that had been left behind, but mostly I was very impressed by the state of the site. A huge pat on the back to everyone involved in the cleanup exercise.

Off the farm until next year we finally find the Barn and it’s Cream Tea O’Clock! Joining the queue for a cup of tea and a slice of cake we notice that everyones favourite dairy farmer is in the Barn chatting away, tea cup in hand. At this point, we’re both looking at each other going “this is surreal”. Have a chat with a few folks, including Michael’s first wife Ruth, who was lovely. End up sat with a couple of chaps and have gab, another cup of tea, another scone and another cup of tea. Mr Eavis wanders by and has a chat with a German couple visiting the village then, heading back across the barn, stops where we are sat…. “ are you on holiday then” booms the voice of the most famous farmer we know!

Trying to keep it together we say yes and have a little chat about the village etc. Michael asks if we are festival go-ers, of course we respond in the positive and we have a little chat about the festival. He apologises for the mud and we have a general chit chat about this years festival. At this point, the cream tea has ended and the Songs of Praise is about to start, M.E. looks at his hymn book and says “I need my glasses” trots off, comes back bespectacled and pulls up his chair next to me. "You don’t look like the hymn singing types" he says we laugh and respond “when in Rome”. We’re now boxed in and there is no escape, so we spend about 30 minutes of a church service sat next to Michael Eavis whilst he sings along to the Hymns, tells me which hymn is which and jokes around about having to keep standing up and sitting down as each hymn starts and ends.

Once the service ends Michael sticks around and makes the time for a chat, we tell him about our experiences at Bath and West and he’s genuinely interested, telling us how much it cost to run the B&W site at the last minute and how much it cost to run the shuttle bus 24 hours a day. We grabbed a picture, lots of handshakes and he seems genuinely pleased that so many people love the festival. He did the usual chit chat about work, what we are planning to do the next day, will we be going to the festival next year (yes, ticket gods permitting). We bid him farewell then headed off to the Preisleigh for Tea, B&W was packed as there was a Church/Worship festival on. They can clearly handle big numbers so perhaps it might be used to greater effect next year.

Anyway, what you really want are pictures, so if I have done this right here they are. I’m not sure hot to share individually but I am sure that everyone can work out whats what.

Sorry for the ramble, I am sure you got bored. I love details so please feel free to ignore as much as you can.

Photos!

Hello again TheNewUnion, just seen this. Hubbie and I were the couple you met at Gate C gate. Glad you made it to the cream tea and spoke to ME.

We had visited the farm in April but hadn't walked from Gate C to the Pyramid stage then so followed you in.  Everything looking good. Did you see the large black abandoned bra lying on the ground?!?! Hilarious! Some recent shenanigans no doubt!!

What was particularly great to see was the new shoots of grass starting to grow already in the Pyramid field.

Nice to have met you and good luck on T Day! X

On 25/07/2016 at 8:46 PM, TheNewUnion said:

Weekend in Pilton

Photos!

lovely post amazing pics great story thanks ...i love how Mr E always seems to have that great big smile ..top of the range and thanks again

Great photos. Also love the Portishead T-shirt. I've got one of those. Think I'm going to wear it out tonight now.

Reminds me I must write down my "amazing time I met ME story" before the finer details start fading from my mind.

Edit: Wow. Mine has really faded (T-shirt.not story details)

Edited by MrZigster
T-shirt washed a lot.

On 26 July 2016 at 6:24 PM, Dillyblue said:

Hello again TheNewUnion, just seen this. Hubbie and I were the couple you met at Gate C gate. Glad you made it to the cream tea and spoke to ME.

We had visited the farm in April but hadn't walked from Gate C to the Pyramid stage then so followed you in.  Everything looking good. Did you see the large black abandoned bra lying on the ground?!?! Hilarious! Some recent shenanigans no doubt!!

What was particularly great to see was the new shoots of grass starting to grow already in the Pyramid field.

Nice to have met you and good luck on T Day! X

What this bra?

image.jpeg