Can we move Glastonbury to the middle of July please?

RichardWaller

Still loved it the other week but between the mud and a hit and run injury which I'm still recovering from, it took the shine off a bit. Now there's no mud, alright it wouldn't have stopped me knee hurting but would've made walking approximately ten times easier with the added bonus of a good dose of vitamin D.

Wasnt the first festival September? Can't be arsed looking it up off me phone. Ah there's speculation about swapping sites and whatnot, why not swap weekends. Course Sod's law, probably won't make a difference... I'm just disappointed to be on my way to work in with this weather and not the Stonebridge Bar.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you guarantee dry and sunny weather in mid July every year?

Imagine if it was and last nights thunderstorms (if you did not have one you were very lucky!) hit the site. Far worse than the storms in 2014.

As for the heat, I would prefer the weather, and the mud, that we had this year than this intense heat.

It's wetter.  Well, going from the Yeovilton weather station data from 1965 - 2015, June had an average of 53mm and July had an average of 57mm. On the other hand July had an average of 199 hours of sunshine and June had an average of 190.  Sunshine records only started in 1984 FWIW

I'll stick with June

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/stationdata/yeoviltondata.txt

ME used to state that it was statistically the driest weekend of the summer according to almanacs (not sure how true this is, of course, but I'd heard him trot it out in a couple of interviews on muddy years in the 90s), also the longest days and shortest nights of any weekend of the year.

I've come back from every Glastonbury I've attended with a shockingly good tan, this year included (Thursday afternoon was lush, as was Monday for those of us who stuck around).

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

ME used to state that it was statistically the driest weekend of the summer according to almanacs (not sure how true this is, of course, but I'd heard him trot it out in a couple of interviews on muddy years in the 90s), also the longest days and shortest nights of any weekend of the year.

I've come back from every Glastonbury I've attended with a shockingly good tan, this year included (Thursday afternoon was lush, as was Monday for those of us who stuck around).

He's right

August is 60ml
September is 56ml

May is actually 52.5ml, so very slightly less than June, but I don't fancy a festival in May.

Indeed, weather is too unpredictable.  Had some fantastic mid-may heatwaves and some total washouts, but you can't rely on it the way you can late June.  2 and a bit muddy ones since the turn of the century is pretty good odds.  Plus @FuzzyDunlop would never cope with temps like we've had this week, we'd never hear the last of it ;)

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Indeed, weather is too unpredictable.  Had some fantastic mid-may heatwaves and some total washouts, but you can't rely on it the way you can late June.  2 and a bit muddy ones since the turn of the century is pretty good odds.  Plus @FuzzyDunlop would never cope with temps like we've had this week, we'd never hear the last of it ;)

Yeah, it hasn't been good so far this week. Luckily I'm in an air conditioned building at the moment

14 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yeah, it hasn't been good so far this week. Luckily I'm in an air conditioned building at the moment

Eugh, I would do anything for some air-conditioning in my office right now. Melting into my desk.

As for moving Glasto, as others have said the weather is too unpredictable a variable to consider moving the dates just for that reason alone.

35 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Last couple of nights were in an air conditioned office, price I paid was having to sleep during the day in this heat.  I swear when I got up last night my bedroom smelled like a stable.

I used to have this "wrong weekend" sentiment. Now I appreciate that the festival is always just after the summer solstice and the hours of sunlight in the evenings are at their peak.

Coming from the extreme South East I envy you Westerners. You pretty much get an extra hour of sunlight at night ;)

Beaten to it by @Funkyfairy! 

I'm sure a lot of teachers would agree with you as well! A number of my mates are unable to go each year due to work commitments. I know plenty of teachers still attend, but it would make it a lot easier. 

Doubt it will happen though. Plus, it's neat having it around the summer solstice. 

Glasto with the weather we have been having the last few days would have been infinitely worse than anything we have experienced in the muddy years. I still shudder when I think how I felt like I was dying each morning in my tent in 2010, hungover, sweating, I thought I was going to die. very unpleasant. Give me mud, cloud, a bit of rain and cool any time

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Glasto with the weather we have been having the last few days would have been infinitely worse than anything we have experienced in the muddy years. I still shudder when I think how I felt like I was dying each morning in my tent in 2010, hungover, sweating, I thought I was going to die. very unpleasant. Give me mud, cloud, a bit of rain and cool any time

no offence