Can we move Glastonbury to the middle of July please?

RichardWaller

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

no offence

eh what? what part of that do you disagree with? 2010 was horrible in the tent in the morning, and it was a struggle to stand in the open air for long periods of time. and it was nowhere near as hot and muggy as the weather has been the last few days. if it was as hot as the last few days it would have been horrendous. you wouldn't have been able to stand at one of the bigger stages for long perioda of time. Mud is shit yes, but at least you can feel comfortable if/when you get to where ypu want to be

Absolutely agree about me being a grotesquely ugly freak by the way. My wife also agrees

20 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

That looks weirdly like the dome in the Stephen King thriller. Be careful what you wish for!

You mean the risk of being shut into the GF and cut off from the rest of the world permanently? It'd be a fascinating sociological experiment, and just maybe we'd discover we'd found heaven...

(I know I know I know... but a guy can have his dreams....) :D

Id be happy if it was pushed back a few weeks, I'd happily go other festivals knowing Glasto was still to come, where as now you go and come back and there's plenty of other festivals but you know you're not going to enjoy them as much. For a few years I did a good few festivals each year, past two years it's just been Glasto, other festivals haven't been worth it, although this is also down to not having a decent sized group to go other festivals with. 

16 minutes ago, billum said:

You mean the risk of being shut into the GF and cut off from the rest of the world permanently? It'd be a fascinating sociological experiment, and just maybe we'd discover we'd found heaven...

(I know I know I know... but a guy can have his dreams....) :D

I also used to think this. Now I look at the likes of "The Jungle" in Calais and think hmm, that's the reality of permanently camping :(

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Whenever I visited family in ruralish Ireland, the combination of less light pollution and a lot further West meant in Summer was still lightish much much later than over here in yorkshire. 

Isn't it an internet factoid that bits of Glasgow are actually further west than Lands End?

4 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I also used to think this. Now I look at the likes of "The Jungle" in Calais and think hmm, that's the reality of permanently camping :(

You have a point Ziggy, an isolationist approach has got us and others into a lot of trouble in the past and look what it's doing to us currently! As appealling as the bubble may seem, openness and neighbourliness is definitely the real answer IMO

40 minutes ago, billum said:

You have a point Ziggy, an isolationist approach has got us and others into a lot of trouble in the past and look what it's doing to us currently! As appealling as the bubble may seem, openness and neighbourliness is definitely the real answer IMO

It's a really tough question that nobody seems to be able to solve. I'd like to think that such things would never be allowed to happen here. If kids were living their own shit surely our Social Services would intervene? Then I read stories that Eastern Europeans are camping in London parks and in cars in car parks. Is this fine? They (the campers) don't appear to mind. Different sensibilities?

Typing this I now remember how British authorities deal(t) with this kind of thing. I was a teenager when I saw The Battle of the Beanfield on telly. I started to view said authorities a lot differently after that. The French have tried similar tactics. The camps are still there. (The media focus on Calais. The one in Dunkerque is particularly squalid).

Edited by MrZigster

8 hours ago, FestiZebra said:

If we were to move it to July then we would have more teachers trying on t-day! (sorry guys)

And 16/18 year olds' celebrating the end of exams. There's a reason V and Reading/Leeds have become what they are.

As for the weather - if you weren't there in 2010, be wary of calling those who were nutters.

Blazing hot sun for 5 days straight and no shade, except for in the marquees, which are boiling. And no shade at all on Weds/Thurs. It's a bit better now as there are more undercover bars and such but still not enough to fit the entire site in. So no choice but to just let the sun beat down on you. There's shade in your tent, but it's literally too hot to even breathe in there. 

It's nice when the sun goes down, but you dare not stay out too late because when the sun comes up in the morning your tent will swiftly become an oven so a lie in is out of the question. And it's not just a "regular sunny weather uncomfortable tent in the morning" feeling. It's "oh my god get me out of here I can barely breathe".

You stop drinking alcohol after a while, as it's a challenge to stay hydrated even without something in your system that decreases how much you can absorb. That's not to say you can't have a good festival, or it'll be worse than a muddy one. Just that it's not like a holiday abroad. And if you've not spent a few days straight in heavy sun with no shade before, don't assume your body can handle it fine.

If you were in 2010, just appreciate that people react to stuff differently. I even found Thursday last year quite challenging, was really exhausted by the end of the day, but as soon as the sun went down, I got my energy back. Just as muddy ones are generally easier for those in shape, some people are going to handle very hot ones differently.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Isn't it an internet factoid that bits of Glasgow are actually further west than Lands End?

Edinburgh is further west than Bristol.

Regarding the weather, give me a 2010 over this year any time.  Yes it was fucking hot, sleep was at a premium and shade was hard to find, but i'd take that over trudging around in mud and not being able to sit down on the floor.   And yes, i did use lots of alcohol and factor 50 and space blankets and they did have a beneficial effect.

2015 was just about perfect though.

Full disclosure - i've lived in hot countries from time to time, not in a tent, admittedly, but several months in an a/c-free abode had its challenges!

Edited by fatyeti24

Hadn't considered the scientific and statistical sides of the weather in July compared to August.. Like I say, was just walking to work boiling, disappointed to not be on my way to the Stonebridge Bar instead. I don't remember a great deal of rain in July, that's all I was thinking. Not saying if you can't see it it's not there, or elsewhere like.

Just a bit frustrated that it was a double whammy that weekend. I'd have been fine with the mud if it weren't for my leg and I'd have been fine with this weather with my leg. Muddiest Glastonbury I've been to but not the muddiest festival I've been to... It was hard work!

17 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Just a bit frustrated that it was a double whammy that weekend. I'd have been fine with the mud if it weren't for my leg and I'd have been fine with this weather with my leg. Muddiest Glastonbury I've been to but not the muddiest festival I've been to... It was hard work!

Hope the leg's better btw!  Although I'm not sure there'd be a correlation between the date of Glastonbury and the chance of getting clobbered by a car ;)

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Hope the leg's better btw!  Although I'm not sure there'd be a correlation between the date of Glastonbury and the chance of getting clobbered by a car ;)

Hah, no I don't think there are any hit and run gods up there. Just bloody typical though eh? Would've enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if not for that... Try again next year, hopefully without this. Leg's getting better.. got an MRI scan in a week and half. Pain's mostly gone but get the odd twinge still and still can't bend or straighten it normally, still got a little build of fluid. No idea what the going rate is for these things like, can't wait to get biking again.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Do the people who struggle with Hot Morning Tent Syndrome in nice years just read all the posts about using space blankets and shrug and think "Actually, I'm not that arsed after all so won't bother spending a couple of quid to sort it out."

I'm a light sleeper so the noise would drive me crazy.

Keep it just as it is. I love the fact that it's so close to Solstice, the days just seem to go on erm, all day.

With regard to the 2010 discussion, I'd have that weather every single year. Yes it was baking and I know that many people cannot 'do' that heat, (Witness how many people came down with heat exhaustion on the Wednesday and Thursday)? But for me the only thing I could moan about was the fact that my tent got dusty!

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

More than the heat? 

Earplugs?

Not more than the heat - but the heat is just a few hours in the morning. Space blankets would rustle all night. Already wear earplugs but it's the sort of noise you'd hear through and would drive me mad!

18 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Can't we have a semi-permanent festival, May to August say, and we can all saunter down when the weather suits us best?

17 hours ago, billum said:

...or indeed stay for the duration... gets my vote!

Reading those comments reminded me of an article I read a few weeks ago - looks like Burning Man Festival is already looking to implement something along those lines...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/jun/10/burning-man-festival-permanent-location-nevada-desert