bands that have split ...better or worse

guypjfreak

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Best ever replacement I thought was Brian Johnson after Bon Scott died. Not a clone of the previous singer, but somebody a bit different who was perfect for the job. I haven't heard them with Axl Rose but people tell me he is alright.

They certainly took it to a new level with Beano.  Its just a shame that album quality wise DC peaked with Highway to Hell or Back in Black depending on your opinion .  For Those About to Rock did not match it , but probably came closest but nothing after that ever did. 

With Bon the albums from High Voltage to Highway to Hell were a progression but with Brian they went the other way.

I love Beano and there was no better man for the job.

Without the make up I thought Dee Schneider would have made a good job of covering for Brian.  He does an excellent version of Walk All Over You

15 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Gallows are doing alright since Frank Carter left.

Some of Frank's newer outfits are worth a listen too. Pure Love were OK but I really like the Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes album. This track in particular, a good angry song: 

I really don't like Gallows nowadays sadly :( I went to their first ever gig in Watford, knew a few of the band members and when Frank left it just wasn't the same. The first album with the new singer was alright but now they have lost a guitar player too I have abandoned sorry to say.

I agree about Frank's other bands though. Really liking the Rattlesnakes and Pure Love were decent enough. 

38 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I really don't like Gallows nowadays sadly :( I went to their first ever gig in Watford, knew a few of the band members and when Frank left it just wasn't the same. The first album with the new singer was alright but now they have lost a guitar player too I have abandoned sorry to say.

I agree about Frank's other bands though. Really liking the Rattlesnakes and Pure Love were decent enough. 

The first time I gave them much attention was in 2008 when I went along with a few fans and was impressed. Later saw them with the new frontman at Bestival (2012?) and had a great time but I agree that their output peaked a long time ago. I didn't realise they'd lost another member too. 

Ah, thought this was gonna be about bands that have split and reunited. I've been grateful for the reunions I've seen that I didn't have chance to see first time round. Particularly grateful for Suede cos the first time I saw em was on the Pyramid in 2003 and they were crap, was gutted. Think out of all the reunions I've had the pleasure of seeing, and the ones who've made new material since, they've been the most rejuvenated.

Anyway, back to the point... For me the most obvious one is probably Velvet Underground/Lou Reed. I'm a massive fan of both and it's hard to prioritise.. Hoping for John Cale next year if I can make it, is he legend slot material or not? 

Oh and Damon Albarn, the slag. I don't think he's ever beat Blur. I'd like to see Sugarcubes reform actually, running out of bands I want to reform. 

17 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Anyway, back to the point... For me the most obvious one is probably Velvet Underground/Lou Reed. I'm a massive fan of both and it's hard to prioritise.. Hoping for John Cale next year if I can make it, is he legend slot material or not? 

Notoriously, the mid 1990s Velvet Underground reunion stunk to high heaven.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Notoriously, the mid 1990s Velvet Underground reunion stunk to high heaven.

Yeah... I've got a dvd of it, but I think I'd have preferred to see those songs performed even crap, than not see them at all. I saw Lou Reed a couple of times, once while a casual fan at Isle Of Wight in 2006, once as an obsessive when he was doing that Metal Machine Trio thing so no songs, and the guest with Gorillaz.. Hardly knew any of the stuff he did at Isle Of Wight at the time but loved it anyway, but that was just him all over. He's not gonna do what you want, he'll do what he wants and you'll love it anyway. The twat.

22 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

The first time I gave them much attention was in 2008 when I went along with a few fans and was impressed. Later saw them with the new frontman at Bestival (2012?) and had a great time but I agree that their output peaked a long time ago. I didn't realise they'd lost another member too. 

Yeah, Frank's brother I think it was was the rhythm guitar player and he left quite recently. Think they are down to a 4 piece now.

I am quite sad how it turned out for them, they got big all of a sudden before Grey Britain and then never quite lived up to the hype. I still remember watching them at Reading in 2007/8 when Frank got a tattoo done as they performed on stage. Good times. I can't get into them nowadays with the new singer - there was a rumour that the guy from Cancer Bats was going to do it but that never happened, that would have been great. Seen them enough too!

On 19 July 2016 at 10:49 PM, Watergirl said:

Best ever replacement I thought was Brian Johnson after Bon Scott died. Not a clone of the previous singer, but somebody a bit different who was perfect for the job. I haven't heard them with Axl Rose but people tell me he is alright.

Karl Wallinger and World Party were quite good for a while after he either left or was kicked out of the Waterboys.

Jack White has been very succesfull in many different set ups.

And probably not that well known on here, but trad band Solas have had six different singers in their 20 year career, all quite different with a distinctive sound, and all good.

As much as I love Brian and accept where the band went after Back in Black , they peaked on his first album 

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:30 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

The most underrated Bon Scott era album and the only one that still gets regular spins chez Scruff. 

Powerage bubbles along nicely but lacking obvious singles it was underrated. 

On 22/07/2016 at 9:37 AM, ivan said:

Powerage bubbles along nicely but lacking obvious singles it was underrated. 

According to the Classic Rock magazine left in the staff mess room it's number 1 in their Best Albums of the 1970s.

Cripes.

when i saw Garfunkel  this year he was great when i saw simon he was shit BUT together there great .....cant remember which one it is but i know one wont work with the other lol all todo with £££ no doubt lol .