the mud effect

shuttlep

4 minutes ago, Charm said:

Agree with you about this as the newbies I took this year were quite irritating and really didn't get how special the festival is, they spent the whole weekend marching around the site looking at everything rather than doing it, was pretty upset about it really as they weren't interested in the Glastonbury I was hoping to show them, I will be more mindful about who I bring along in the future. 
Charm x

How dare they experience the festival their way! It normally takes a few festivals to really appreciate what it has to offer anyway. I've had similar experiences with newbies before deciding it was my fault for expecting them to bow to my greater experience and knowledge of how you 'should' do the festival.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How dare they experience the festival their way! It normally takes a few festivals to really appreciate what it has to offer anyway. I've had similar experiences with newbies before deciding it was my fault for expecting them to bow to my greater experience and knowledge of how you 'should' do the festival.

Yeah how dare they, my way is obviously much better :)
I just felt they could of been at any festival and had the same experience, maybe I should accept that not everyone has to think Glastonbury is the most amazing place in the world. 
Charm x

2 hours ago, Charm said:

Agree with you about this as the newbies I took this year were quite irritating and really didn't get how special the festival is, they spent the whole weekend marching around the site looking at everything rather than doing it, was pretty upset about it really as they weren't interested in the Glastonbury I was hoping to show them, I will be more mindful about who I bring along in the future. 
Charm x

It is frustrating, but what can you do? When I look back at my earlier festivals, I used to do them in a very different way. Still enjoyed myself immensely though.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It is frustrating, but what can you do? When I look back at my earlier festivals, I used to do them in a very different way. Still enjoyed myself immensely though.

I wondered whether my newbies were really Glastonbury people anyway and in the future I just won't bring anyone I'm unsure of, Mr Charm did question my judgement at the time, as usual he was right. 
Charm x

On 29/07/2016 at 4:07 AM, John the Moth said:

Another great festival from my perspective, although the mud had an impact on the time between areas resulting in me seeing/doing less. And although the missus thoroughly enjoyed her first time there this year, I would have loved her experience to have been of beautiful areas and swathes of green grass, even tables and chairs inside tents seemed coated in inches of mud dragged inside by weary bimblers. We're deffo trying for 2017 tickets :)

bad news - a lot of bucketlisters have been saying to me they're going next year

good news - they seem blissfully unaware of the ticket process, I've selfishly not informed them of the military level planning involved bwahahahaaaa

Seriously? I'd expect anyone who's even thought of going for the past decade to know about that... But aye, I'm hoping that people will be put off and it'll be easier for us to get tickets next time ;). Read a lot of negativity about the lineup, read various rants and cynicism about the festival too, don't know if the ranters and cynics have even been, mind...

I still love it though. Yeah, I'm sure people will accuse me of having rose tinted glasses where Glastonbury is concerned, to some it'll be just like any other festival but it isn't to me. I've been to loads of festivals but never felt as serene as I tend to at Glastonbury. I'm an awkward sod who's spent a lot of time feeling out of place, never there though. I still can't put my finger on it. There's a little clip in the Julien Temple documentary that springs to mind, an interviewer asks a guy what brings him to Glastonbury and he starts going on about the vibes in the ground. Typically, I'm a non nonsense Yorkshire type who'd normally snort and say bollocks to summat like that, but maybe there is summat in it. I do get a feeling there that's hard to describe, that I've never had anywhere else. Even though a lot of this one did feel like a chore with me leg, and I missed a lot of what I wanted to see, I'll still look back fondly. I'll look back on other Glastonburys more fondly though.

On 30/07/2016 at 9:05 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

True too. It's why I developed a habit of asking newbies who were coming not to look at all the "must-do" lists and to not use the map unless totally lost. I stopped showing them around other than the route between where we camp, the railway track and the Pyramid (maybe Stone Circle) then that's it....

Seemed to work well; they marched around less, queued less and joined in random stuff without rushing to not miss the next must not miss. Not tried it in a few years now but might help if someone's bringing newbies now