the mud effect

shuttlep

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is true as far as it goes, but the year that most folk moan about - 2010 - there was actually a breeze keeping the site pretty cool for a lot of the weekend.

The one day in recent years that really was roasty-toasty - the Sunday of 2011 - seems not to have had too much impact on people - suggesting that it wasn't the temperature that did for people so much as it was exposure to the sun.  Which is preventable.

That day we had a gazebo (only year we brought one after the sun issues the year before)

I was under that from early morning until the eels came on. Never brought one since. Its selfish. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to be able to say that the conditions this year didn't affect my enjoyment in any way, but I did find it tough at times, and it had an effect on the number of acts I saw (and missed!), and how much exploring I did. This had a knock on effect on my post-Glasto blues, as in hindsight I was kicking myself for letting the mud beat me at times, and therefore missing certain things I wanted to see or do.

This only makes me more determined to try again next year.

In terms of the BBC effect, I agree, the coverage makes it look idyllic, but assuming that many of the people who want to go next year, know someone who went this year, they should get the full measure of the real experience. Yes it was amazing, but christ it was tough walking through treacle all day long! Hopefully those shared experiences might be enough to put off the bucket-listers at least...

2 hours ago, Anarion said:

What is it with you British and the sun really? Just wear a hat, put on sunscreen and drink some water now and then. "Being in the sun hard work". Give me a break. I'd do anything to experience a proper scorcher at Glastonbury. Walking around in trainers without a care in the world :) 

It's the walking around in trainers that makes so much difference. I hate wearing wellies with a passion, so 2015 was ideal for me, wore wellies for about 6 hours total over the weekend. The site seems so much smaller in trainers! 

I think the tickets will sell out in the same amount of time as normal. I wouldn't think it matters if there are 200000 people or 2 million people trying for tickets, the servers will work at the same speed and once they are gone there gone.

As for the mud effect I don't think it will make a major difference, the queues in and out will have more of an effect but I think most regulars  will have a moan about it and say they aren't going again but come ticket day they will be trying.

Adele and Coldplay will have put Glastonbury in peoples bucket list but I bet very few people who say they will try for tickets after watching it on tv actually do. I've had loads of people say to me I'm going to Glastonbury but have never even registered let alone tried for tickets

One thing we have decided to do after the mud this year is see which stage we plan to be at the most and camp there. I've camped in big ground for the last 6 years but the stage we were at most was the Park and that was a hard walk in the mud. Missed Car seat headrest this year as I knew it was a hour and a half round trip for a 30 minute set and couldn't face it

3 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

One thing we have decided to do after the mud this year is see which stage we plan to be at the most and camp there. I've camped in big ground for the last 6 years but the stage we were at most was the Park and that was a hard walk in the mud. Missed Car seat headrest this year as I knew it was a hour and a half round trip for a 30 minute set and couldn't face it

Do you go back to your tent often then?  Surely it's not usually a round trip unless you go back to your tent after every set?

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I always have a good time. Im sure 90% of people do too. If its too hot, just have to get on with it. I'd rather be too hot and burning up at glastonbury, than sat at home.

At least you stayed Fuzzy even though it was tough, unlike the silly people I met who went home.  
Charm x

7 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

In my opinion, those who were there will make a decision based on their experience. After the trafifc jam of doom I was adamant that I wasn't going again ( I might have changed my mind). Some folks will have found the mud too much of a chore and might give it a miss for a year or two. Those who normally go and couldn't get a ticket will wonder what we are all "moaning" about. If they were the only people involved then it'd be the same as it always is on ticket day (difficult but do'able for the most part).

The problem is, BBC's blanket coverage suggested that everything was awesome. I have heard a great many people say "I'd love to go to Glastonbury next year Adele/Coldpay were amazing". In many cases I know that these people wouldn't last 5 minutes (people who are horrified by the thought of the toilets, carrying stuff, not being able to plug in their straighteners, having to walk, having to sleep in a tent etc etc) but I also think that a lot will have watched, decided "I fancy a bit of that" and will be trying for tickets.

I think that the most likely thing to stop ticket demand would be for the headliners to be so obtuse that even the BBC would struggle to peddle them to the masses!

tl/dr: TV coverage drives ticket demand, it doesn't rain on teh BBC coverage and everything is "wow".

well we will have to put them off with something else then..............DID YOU SEE THE STATE OF THOSE TOILETS PEOPLE you dont want to go to that muddy festi with overflowing toilets where it ALAWAYS rains.......

reckon that might work old son lol

6 hours ago, Charm said:

My bucket lister newbies who I thought would hate the mud are already talking about returning and want to bring along more newbies, sorry. 
Charm x

This seems quite a theme of responses I've seen both on here and on FB. Almost uniformly people are saying this year hasn't put them off and they want to go again. Of course dedicated Glasto groups aren't probably the best place to get a fair representation of peoples' thoughts, especially after the festival when newcomers have gleaned the nuggets of they were after and are rarely seen again, but I've seen nothing to suggest this year it's going to be easier on T Day.

There were no doubt a few, but there are so many festivals now, that I doubt Glastonbury was also that many peoples first festival. If you'd never been to a festival before then no doubt for some this year would've put them off for good, undoubtedly a lot would've loved it too though.

For anybody else that has been to a festival before then they've probably experienced rain and mud to some extent already, so wouldn't associate that particular experience just with Glastonbury more festivals in general.

Let's just make a pact between us all here to repeatedly tell people how awful it was thereby increasing all our own chances come T day.

It will still sell out but if our combined efforts to dissuade everyone we come across buys us a couple of extra minutes in the race then it's worth it.

We'll just keep this between us though eh ;-)

My first year at Glasto was the carnage of 2007....people were actually walking round in "space blankets" to keep warm that were provided by the end of the festival!.  I had a brief moment to myself whilst watching Bill Bailey on the either the Saturday or Sunday evening completely soaked to the skin in torrential rain thinking "what am I doing"!

However I still couldn't wait for tickets the following year and then did the next 7 festivals in a row.... be very careful what you wish for peeps, I've now been unsuccessful in the last 3 ticket sales now so put the money to good use and went Skiing instead haha... My dilemma now is I love skiing that much (did my first black run last year) I might not make Glasto every again!!!!

Edited by New Cillit Bang

50 minutes ago, New Cillit Bang said:

My first year at Glasto was the carnage of 2007....people were actually walking round in "space blankets" to keep warm that were provided by the end of the festival!.  I had a brief moment to myself whilst watching Bill Bailey on the either the Saturday or Sunday evening completely soaked to the skin in torrential rain thinking "what am I doing"!

However I still couldn't wait for tickets the following year and then did the next 7 festivals in a row.... be very careful what you wish for peeps, I've now been unsuccessful in the last 3 ticket sales now so put the money to good use and went Skiing instead haha... My dilemma now is I love skiing that much (did my first black run last year) I might not make Glasto every again!!!!

something similar for me , was there in 

04 = wet

05  = wet

07 = wet

08 = didn't go stupidly decided to Breed

09 = was ok from what I can remember

10 = baking

11 = i can't remember must have been ok ish to not remember 

13 = ok nothing to write home about 

14 = didn't go , had a ticket and gave it up (must have been having a break down

15 = great weather only rained the once 

16 = I am still wet now

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 5:41 PM, shuttlep said:

with it being really muddy this year

do you think it will have the same effect as 2007 had on 2008, as in ticket sales.

2008 it was ridiculously easy to get tickets and I have heard they had some left on the gate (I am not sure if that is true as i didn't attend that year)

do you think it will be easier to get tickets in October after everyone will have seen the mud. and i know it has left me deciding if 2017 would be worth it?

Wasn't it established it was Jay Z headlining that reduced sales? Maybe a combination of both 

On 21/07/2016 at 9:54 PM, sunnydaysblue said:

Wasn't it established it was Jay Z headlining that reduced sales? Maybe a combination of both 

It was probably well established in Noel's mind, but other than that his appearance most likely made no appreciable difference. In the event his set was both well attended and received.

Kanye was far more of a hate figure for those who feel Glastonbury is a rock festival and yet there wasn't a flood of returned tickets resulting in poor ticket sales after his announcement. There's too much else going on for a single act to have such an impact on sales.

7 hours ago, musky said:

It was probably well established in Noel's mind, but other than that his appearance most likely made no appreciable difference. In the event his set was both well attended and received.

Kanye was far more of a hate figure for those who feel Glastonbury is a rock festival and yet there wasn't a flood of returned tickets resulting in poor ticket sales after his announcement. There's too much else going on for a single act to have such an impact on sales.

We don't really have the information to tell either way. There was no deposit scheme back in 2008, so Jay Z was actually announced months before the tickets went on sale. Not surprising that there were no returned tickets after his announcement, since nobody had bought them yet. I've no idea what role Jay Z played in the poor sales that year, and nor do you.

Use your thingy!

http://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/the-thingy.html

Very much doubt it'll make a difference to be honest. It consistently sells out quickly without anyone having a clue what the lineup is and obviously without anyone having a clue what the weather will be like. I agree about what people say about it becoming a bucket list thing now. I cabt see there being less of a demand, if anything more, particularly with the rumours flying around about the future of the festival. If there is going to be a last one there, I want to be there.

I was a first timer this year. 

I did really want to go and set alarms and somewhat planned for ticket day but never before understood the desperation and mission like attitudes I had heard of from others on ticket day. Looking back my tickets were probably a bit of beginners luck! 

The mud has NOT put me off. I will be trying everything I can to go again and will be devastated if I miss out!! 

I spoke to someone last night who went this year for the first time and he hated it. First person I've ever met who has been entirely negative about the place. The mud, the music, the late night entertainment. It was a curious experience.

Needless to say I'll never be speaking to the daft little c**t again.

Edited by russycarps

Anyone who bought in to the J zed thing and didn't attend on the basis of one act and the vocal opposition of sprout faced has been Noel Gallagher...well, we're better off without them.  If tickets sold less well on the basis of one headliner then that speaks really poorly for the judgement of the ticket buying public.  I blame the weather.