the mud effect

shuttlep

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go in 2010 but I was camping in Glastonbury with the family, really enjoyed the weather and thought it was perfect for camping, did speak to some punters who left the festival as they weren't enjoying it, they were complaining a lot about dust and seemed pretty pissed off, I was incredibly jealous that they were able to go and thought they were just being silly. 
Charm x

On 7/15/2016 at 2:47 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

We're never going to see eye to eye on this, but surely you must spare a thought for people with young families or with mobility issues who're impacted by wet weather, to say nothing of people picking up injuries whilst there due to the treacherous underfoot conditions.

Same for 2010 at times but for different reasons. A shitload of people ended up in the medical tents. 

Personally loved this year. Mud didn't ruin it too much. One of those rare years when I was leaving on the Monday thinking how I can't wait to go again.

i didn't even notice the dust in 2010, Hayfever I have every year so that made no difference to me.

2015 was great weather 2016 I walked out thinking I need to go home and get clean. 2010 I was dragged out kicking and screaming like a petulant  toddler 

Each to their own I guess, it sounds like if you compare 2010 to 2016 for some 2010 was harder to see as many acts and for others 2016 was. For me personally I found this year much harder to get around and see everything I wanted to compared to the year before. I'd choose 2010 every time, neither are ideal but once the sun goes down you're fine anyway, during the day as long as you're sensible wear a hat, put sun cream on you're fine too. With this year the site was difficult 24 hours a day without the freedom to just sit down when you want. I still had a great time but for me it was compromised far more that it would've been with a 2010 scenario.

I've looked at some old pictures of 2007 and I'm pretty sure that mud-wise 2016 was far worse.  2007 is a funny one for mud because it changed so much over the course of the festival.  My only qualification for 2007 is I can't comment on Sunday because I barely left my mate's gazebo, which brings me to the crux of the matter:

I would always, always, always take 2016 over 2007 every time.  Why?  Because of the fucking rain!  I was lucky enough for my only two visits to JPT to match up with the two daytime showers we had on the festival.  And Sunday night drizzle doesn't count.  2016 was hard under foot, but very very easy overhead.  Given the amount of seating now provided by the festival, I'm totally fine with swapping extra mud for less rain.  

As for 2010, I went too hard that year for various non-weather reasons.  Until the Sunday that year, I had no problems, but I would have been pretty fucked on the Sunday that year even if it was 18 degrees, cloudy and dry.

What is it with you British and the sun really? Just wear a hat, put on sunscreen and drink some water now and then. "Being in the sun hard work". Give me a break. I'd do anything to experience a proper scorcher at Glastonbury. Walking around in trainers without a care in the world :) 

but I agree , the sun is not hard work it makes everything easier. walking from one stage to another won't take an hour. sitting down at a stage and having a a drink. wearing trainers all weekend or flip flops as I did in 2010 is amazing. 

getting so stuck in the mud you can not move your feet and falling over as people try and get past (hot chip Friday night) is not good

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

captain siscko would be proud of your sacrcasm

Only 50% sarcasm I reckon.  It's true though; much like a sprinkling of snow causes the transport system to fall apart and drivers to apparently get full frontal lobotomies when they fill up with petrol, so anything above about 26 degrees turns everyone bright red and makes us forget to drink water.

We just don't know how to handle anything other than r*in, clouds and the occasional burst of sunshine between them.

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Only 50% sarcasm I reckon.  It's true though; much like a sprinkling of snow causes the transport system to fall apart and drivers to apparently get full frontal lobotomies when they fill up with petrol, so anything above about 26 degrees turns everyone bright red and makes us forget to drink water.

We just don't know how to handle anything other than r*in, clouds and the occasional burst of sunshine between them.

agreed.

as a nation we have the most boring weather, I would describe it as beige , and yet we are fascinated by it , it's always wrong, too hot or too cold. too grey

2010 was glorious! I loved it, I like being able to sit down as others have said! But at the same time, its only 5 days so I can deal with the mud!

To me, as long as I'm there in those fields with my mates I dont care what the weather does, but I can see why some people would find it hard work either way!

I think 2014 was the year I came home with the best tan!

In my opinion, those who were there will make a decision based on their experience. After the trafifc jam of doom I was adamant that I wasn't going again ( I might have changed my mind). Some folks will have found the mud too much of a chore and might give it a miss for a year or two. Those who normally go and couldn't get a ticket will wonder what we are all "moaning" about. If they were the only people involved then it'd be the same as it always is on ticket day (difficult but do'able for the most part).

The problem is, BBC's blanket coverage suggested that everything was awesome. I have heard a great many people say "I'd love to go to Glastonbury next year Adele/Coldpay were amazing". In many cases I know that these people wouldn't last 5 minutes (people who are horrified by the thought of the toilets, carrying stuff, not being able to plug in their straighteners, having to walk, having to sleep in a tent etc etc) but I also think that a lot will have watched, decided "I fancy a bit of that" and will be trying for tickets.

I think that the most likely thing to stop ticket demand would be for the headliners to be so obtuse that even the BBC would struggle to peddle them to the masses!

tl/dr: TV coverage drives ticket demand, it doesn't rain on teh BBC coverage and everything is "wow".

Edited by TheNewUnion

If you are too hot, there is no chance of cooling down. It isn't comfortabIe. At the festival, you are knackered. (The wood might change that in the future, but I imagine it to be busy)

If its too cool - put another layer on.

The only time I felt cold this year was Saturday evening. It was really windy. Wind is not needed. Knackers the sound too.

I prepare for all types of weather and have an amazing time regardless of the conditions, I always feel incredibly lucky to be there and I can't think of a Glastonbury I haven't enjoyed, every one has been very special in its own way. 
Charm x

Can't believe this is my first post since the festival (it's taken me a while to get over the fact I'm no longer there!)

The mud this year did make it difficult at points but it didn't detract from my enjoyment in the slightest. Yes of course I'd prefer to be in trainers for the whole week but what will be will be. We are attending a festival in fields in Britain it would be naïve to think we're going to be blessed with weather akin to the costa brava every year.

We were all aware of the weather leading up to the festival and through the various social media outlets we could see the state of the ground long before most of us began our journeys.

The only thing which would have led to anyone's lack of enjoyment would be lack of preparation and if that's the case you've only got yourself to blame I'm afraid!

11 minutes ago, Charm said:

I prepare for all types of weather and have an amazing time regardless of the conditions, I always feel incredibly lucky to be there and I can't think of a Glastonbury I haven't enjoyed, every one has been very special in its own way. 
Charm x

I always have a good time. Im sure 90% of people do too. If its too hot, just have to get on with it. I'd rather be too hot and burning up at glastonbury, than sat at home.

17 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If you are too hot, there is no chance of cooling down. It isn't comfortabIe. At the festival, you are knackered.

This is true as far as it goes, but the year that most folk moan about - 2010 - there was actually a breeze keeping the site pretty cool for a lot of the weekend.

The one day in recent years that really was roasty-toasty - the Sunday of 2011 - seems not to have had too much impact on people - suggesting that it wasn't the temperature that did for people so much as it was exposure to the sun.  Which is preventable.