the mud effect

shuttlep

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

i have only managed to get my own ticket twice, once is 2005 and then in 2007 I think i manged to get it through Orange WAP (first mobile internet) thingy they were doing 

I've never managed to get my own ticket. Not once in the 5 times I've been! 

If I'm completely honest, I'd take this year's mud over a completely dry, red hot festival any day. Getting back to the tent at 6/7am every morning and being able to sleep for a few hours was awesome. Being rudely awoken an hour or so later due to oven-like conditions in a tent isn't fun at all. 

I've only got my own ticket 2 out of the 6 I've been to. Resale in 2010 and coach in 2014, this one being a complete shock as I was all booked 2 minutes after they went on sale.

Both of the last two, one of our group has got them on her phone, not even 3g. She's probably not going next year, not feeling confident.

Anyone who doesn't pray for 5 days of wall to wall sunshine I just don't understand. People like my friend in who in 2010 constantly moaned that he was "too ginger for this heat"

It makes the festival at least 2X more enjoyable than usual. The mud is incredibly energy sapping, even more so than the sun.

If you're partying 'till 6/7am every morning then you're not going to want to evacuate your tent an hour later due to the heat. I used to go to a festival in the Czech Republic and it was 30+ degrees every day and you couldn't stay in your tent later than 8am. It was awful. 

Perfect festival weather would be dry, cloudy on morning and maximum of 24/25 degrees during the day. 

Edited by StLewi

16 minutes ago, StLewi said:

If you're partying 'till 6/7am every morning then you're not going to want to evacuate your tent an hour later due to the heat. I used to go to a festival in the Czech Republic and it was 30+ degrees every day and you couldn't stay in your tent later than 8am. It was awful. 

That is definitely the shittier side of it. We just ended up sleeping outside on an airbed, which isn't ideal.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2010 actually was cloudy in the mornings.  The cold nights created a lot of low lying mist in the valley that hung around until - I dunno - 10am or so.

2010- fecking freezing at night, hadn't discovered the joy of taking a hot water bottle back then either. I slept in til about 9-10am every day, after warming up enough to sleep! Then we had blazing sunshine during the day, I burst into flames on several occasions. 

It was awesome! Much rather have that than mud. And I am a fully paid up member of the Ginger Society. 

I'm bricking it for ticket day already, especially with the festival being a guaranteed bobbydazzler.  I'm hoping to bring some first timers along with someone who once went in the 90s without a tent or change of clothes (my kind of girl that) so I'd best be lucky.  This year was the first time I didn't get a sniff myself and someone else managed to sort me out with mere moments to go before they sold out.

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'm bricking it for ticket day already, especially with the festival being a guaranteed bobbydazzler.  I'm hoping to bring some first timers along with someone who once went in the 90s without a tent or change of clothes (my kind of girl that) so I'd best be lucky.  This year was the first time I didn't get a sniff myself and someone else managed to sort me out with mere moments to go before they sold out.

Surely we must be able to petition the Eavii so that eFests members get preference on T-Day?  I mean, I don't like to put it out there, but we're kind of a big deal...

49 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Anyone who doesn't pray for 5 days of wall to wall sunshine I just don't understand. People like my friend in who in 2010 constantly moaned that he was "too ginger for this heat"

It makes the festival at least 2X more enjoyable than usual. The mud is incredibly energy sapping, even more so than the sun.

2016 was my favourite weather since I have been going. Loved it.

16 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2016 was my favourite weather since I have been going. Loved it.

We're never going to see eye to eye on this, but surely you must spare a thought for people with young families or with mobility issues who're impacted by wet weather, to say nothing of people picking up injuries whilst there due to the treacherous underfoot conditions.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We're never going to see eye to eye on this, but surely you must spare a thought for people with young families or with mobility issues who're impacted by wet weather, to say nothing of people picking up injuries whilst there due to the treacherous underfoot conditions.

Yes I do. That is why I genuinely don't want it muddy as a preference. I'd rather it be cloudy with a few sun breaks, without the rain and mud. No one has any issues then. I would take that every year. It is the most inclusive festival weather.

I still got a bit of sunburn this year, but not too bad. This year was the first year I have been to Glastonbury and managed to see everything I wanted to see when the weather didn't effect it. 

I am full of admiration for those with mobility issues. I helped quite a few folk throughout the festival. Most who were just stuck, not genuine mobility issues. But I helped someone on crutches get up the hill from the other stage. I'm into it being an inclusive festival. When you are there I will make the best of it regardless. 2010 was the only time I've ever wanted to come home from any festival - Glastonbury or otherwise due to the weather.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop