the mud effect

shuttlep

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've managed to get one by hook or by crook every year since 2008, only once relying on the resales. As much as it will pain me though, I'll be throwing in the towel if I don't get lucky in the first run up. Sorting out child care and holidays is making it more difficult these days, so I'll be making more concrete plans elsewhere. 

The mud in 2007 was more wet mud, which looked a lot worse on TV. But was a lot easier to walk in than the clay of this year.

Also 2008 had other factors, the headliners in particular played a big role in why it took so long to sell out. Even the headliners the year before (Arctic Monkeys in an early incarnation, Killers and The Who) wouldn't have made people rush for tickets the following year as much.

45 minutes ago, Charm said:

The actual weather was fine but it was slightly challenging to walk about and it would of been nice to have a little sit down occasionally, looks much prettier too without the mud. I thought last year was lovely, was the best for me, wish it could be like that every time. 
Charm x

142h1fb.jpg

Last year was the best weather I've had too. Being able to sit down and chill on the grass makes it a much better festival. 

Can't speak for ticket buyers, but a surprising number of crew of various different types have said 'never again'.

Many of these have a couple of decades of Glastonbury under their belts. Hopefully they will feel re energised and optimistic again by next year.

(I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll be there if they'll have me back :)  )

45 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Can't speak for ticket buyers, but a surprising number of crew of various different types have said 'never again'.

Many of these have a couple of decades of Glastonbury under their belts. Hopefully they will feel re energised and optimistic again by next year.

The problem with this is that a lot of people say never again etc but come ticket day they are there at their computer trying just as hard as anyone else 

We got talking to a bloke digging a drainage ditch at the back of the Tipi Field - as you do - and he did say it was the worst build conditions he'd known.

Similar bad weather for the takedown might have been multiple straws across the backs of multiple camels.

Might not have been as bad as 1997, 1998 - but then everyone is almost 20 years older.

12 hours ago, Charm said:

The actual weather was fine but it was slightly challenging to walk about and it would of been nice to have a little sit down occasionally, looks much prettier too without the mud. I thought last year was lovely, was the best for me, wish it could be like that every time. 
Charm x

142h1fb.jpg

2015 was a good weather year, wasn't 2010 though. I know some people say it was too hot. For me being able to dance in flip flops all day every day really made me smile. shorts and t shirt every day was awesome

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We got talking to a bloke digging a drainage ditch at the back of the Tipi Field - as you do - and he did say it was the worst build conditions he'd known.

Similar bad weather for the takedown might have been multiple straws across the backs of multiple camels.

Might not have been as bad as 1997, 1998 - but then everyone is almost 20 years older.

i do think age comes in to this , when I started going in the early noughties, the weather was terrible,. yet i didn't mind and I came back every year without fail. now when i look back at 2016 all i can think about is how tired i was and and i couldn't sit down. I loved 2015. Sunday i put a blavket down and stayed at the Pyramid all day long . you couldn't do that this year

15 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Think the October deposit led to the massive demand. 

In the old days April full balance was before line up. Although I failed in 04 and 05. But only really half tried in hindsight. Nothing like what I do now. 

I remember the "resale" in 04. Said it to a mate as I heard they were back on sale. He said "Ill have a look when I get home" and got tickets about an hour later. 

But yeah forgot about the October deposit not being around then. Or ID tickets.

15 hours ago, nikkic said:

Where do these numbers come from? 2 million seems pretty high. Is that how many people have registered or are actively trying to purchase tickets? 

I'd imagine thats 2 million trying. Family and friends who aren't going etc. 

54 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

2015 was a good weather year, wasn't 2010 though. I know some people say it was too hot. For me being able to dance in flip flops all day every day really made me smile. shorts and t shirt every day was awesome

Yep, I'm with you Shuttle.  Glorious sunshine for the whole weekend was just brilliant, pitch up and have a lie down wherever you fancy.  Happy days.

On the ticket front I've been lucky and never missed out, so maybe I'm due it.  Who knows?  On the plus side I know very few people who say they want to go, and lots who say they'd never touch it with a bargepole (including Mrs Quark :) )

Edited by Quark

12 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

It's been a far harder festival for crew this year than for the punters I think.  I can see why as the organiser, Eavis has put this up there with 97/98 in terms of mud. At least it wasn't shitting it down on us while we were trying to work!

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The weather seems to be annually alternating between good and bad at the minute

2010 - cracker

2011 - bummer

2013 - stoater

2014 - downer

2015 - belter

2016 - least said soonest mended

I am loving your optimism, it makes me want to see if it will be Good in 2017

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The weather seems to be annually alternating between good and bad at the minute

2010 - cracker

2011 - bummer

2013 - stoater

2014 - downer

2015 - belter

2016 - least said soonest mended

Fansinating reading this and thinking the opposite on some of them 2010 was one of the worst for weather wall to wall sunshine and very little shade as 2016 was the best for me very little rain very little sun just the conditions underfoot were the worst I've experianced