Fezzy_buzzer

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, harryomatic said:

Official: no TITP next year

So, does anyone think it'll come back?

No one likes to put 'the end' so a festival saying its taking a year off is often then end of it, and I can see reasons why that might be what they've decided to do. 

But I can also see reasons why they might try and find a more-suitable site and start again too - and it would be a gawd awful shame if Scotland no longer had a festival where the biggest bands play.

Even though it's been coming i'm actually quite gutted it's actually taking a break, the first festival I went to at the age of 16, i've been going ever since so it is quite upsetting but it's definitely what the festival needed. It's also amazing to think that Scotland, a very musically influenced country may not have a major festival. For the all the memories, cheers T but hopefully never to see you again!

I think no matter what it needs more than 1 year away to allow people to forget all the bad press it got.

I don't see them bringing back T until there is a clear demand for - and they feel they are able to justify in terms of h&s etc - a large scale camping event again, whether that is 1 year, 5 years or 10 or so on.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No one likes to put 'the end' so a festival saying its taking a year off is often then end of it, and I can see reasons why that might be what they've decided to do. 

But I can also see reasons why they might try and find a more-suitable site and start again too - and it would be a gawd awful shame if Scotland no longer had a festival where the biggest bands play.

Well, what they said about councils not wanting "T in the Park" and Tennents not agreeing with the direction of the the festival should mean that "T in the Park" is indeed dead but I'm sure DF Concerts will try and get something else going at some point soon.

EDIT: that or it becomes the new Sonisphere in that it runs every few years when Calvin Harris is available and every year in between its proclaimed by nutty fans that "its back next year". :P

Edited by dentalplan

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Think it will come back after taking a year out and the bawbags get a better site.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think the big bands will still tour Scotland, it just means more of their fans will get to see them at their own shows instead of having to go to T in the park. 

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think so. Didn't Global Gathering and Sonisphere say they were taking a break to review the situation and neither of them have returned. Your recent article on the festival bubble bursting nailed it, to be honest. T isn't the first major festival to go and it won't be the last. It's shame, I have fond memories of my two TiTP's in 2008 and 2010

Im Glad its taking a year out but more likely to be killed off. Over the last few years the Ned culture has caused more problems than it should and I suspect that is more to do with killing it off due adding to the requirement of "planning permission" .

As for the new event in Glasgow, forget acts like Harris and FBS... they have already stated that its to be aimed at a much older audience..for that read those that don't need to get stoned out their Nut to enjoy music. I suspect its going to be Green Day, Depeche Mode and maybe Radiohead. 3 stages.. Main stage , a Tuts type tent and T-break. also think that there will be large number of Scottish bands , esp those making "comebacks" such as Gun, Fratelis & Hipsway.

Now that they have officially announced T isn't going ahead I expect the first announcements very soon...in the hope to get some of the pre Christmas sales.

8 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I think the big bands will still tour Scotland, it just means more of their fans will get to see them at their own shows instead of having to go to T in the park. 

If that's what happens, the impact is bigger than that because people are not being exposed to all of the other acts at a festival &/or they're having to spend more money and time to do similar.

4 minutes ago, demondrummer said:

Im Glad its taking a year out but more likely to be killed off. Over the last few years the Ned culture has caused more problems than it should and I suspect that is more to do with killing it off due adding to the requirement of "planning permission" .

As for the new event in Glasgow, forget acts like Harris and FBS... they have already stated that its to be aimed at a much older audience..for that read those that don't need to get stoned out their Nut to enjoy music. I suspect its going to be Green Day, Depeche Mode and maybe Radiohead. 3 stages.. Main stage , a Tuts type tent and T-break. also think that there will be large number of Scottish bands , esp those making "comebacks" such as Gun, Fratelis & Hipsway.

Now that they have officially announced T isn't going ahead I expect the first announcements very soon...in the hope to get some of the pre Christmas sales.

Do you think cocktail cocktail will be there??

Not been in a few year but it's sad if it is the end. 

If it does die it joins Rockness, Connect, Wickerman (I believe), Indian Summer, T on the Fringe (still gigs at fringe but nowhere hear as big), Live at Loch Lomond, Big Day out on the Green, Gig on the Green, Slam Dunk Scotland etc.

Festivals come and go all of the time but feels like we aren't left with that many mid to big sized festivals except Belladrum and Loopallu (which is downsizing). 

Lots of smaller festival though like Doune the Rabbit Hole and Brew at the Bog so hopefully these festivals can grow and take some of the space left by the others.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

If this Glasgow Green goes ahead, then I can't see DF Concerts resurrecting T in the Park.

It gets rid of a few major problems that have plagued T in recent years: -

- No neds hanging around the campsite all weekend causing trouble.
- Folk not taking their tents/sleeping bags/chairs home with them at the end of the festival.
- No one can overdose in their tent. If they're found dead at home, its not DF Concerts problem.

Yes the site at Strathallan was a nightmare to get in and out of, but the recent decline in ticket sales and the drug deaths haven't helped.

Take camping out of the equation and not only do you eliminate those issues, but you also make it more attractive to a wider audience who can easily travel to Glasgow to attend on 1, 2 or 3 days.

3 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

If this Glasgow Green goes ahead, then I can't see DF Concerts resurrecting T in the Park

Yeah, what you've noted above is much how my thinking is.

The main things I can see in T's favour is a (presumably) still-willing sponsor - when all the sponsors have disappeared from other fests - and the strong brand of the festival which is attached to that sponsor (so that sponsor might not see as good value in sponsoring a differently named event).

1 hour ago, cammie81 said:

Lots of smaller festival though like Doune the Rabbit Hole and Brew at the Bog so hopefully these festivals can grow and take some of the space left by the others.

err no that's gone: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1057766/brew-at-the-bog-festival-axed-after-bands-left-unpaid/