TITP 2017

Fezzy_buzzer

Good points about melvin being asked to have overview. While the line up has deteriorated the move from balado appears to be the biggest disaster. Maybe reinventing in a city location, similar to Reading is something being considered. Rock day, edm day and general pop day maybe a decent idea. Glasgow Green has hosted festivals before with gig on the green, which was basically the spare day of the reading/Leeds festival 

Edited by Red Day

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Good points about melvin being asked to have overview. While the line up has deteriorated the move from balado appears to be the biggest disaster. Maybe reinventing in a city location, similar to Reading is something being considered. Rock day, edm day and general pop day maybe a decent idea. Glasgow Green has hosted festivals before with gig on the green, which was basically the spare day of the reading/Leeds festival 

Glasgow Green was where T started, wasn't it...?

(I might be wrong).

1 hour ago, hamishrankin said:

Taking away camping in my opinion would not help, the majority of young punters go along to get pissed in the campsite and the music comes as a nice addition, taking away camping would severely reduce the demand from the younger punters. 

You say that as if it's a bad thing. What you argue for is one of the main reason why T has gone to shit

54 minutes ago, Red Day said:

You say that as if it's a bad thing. What you argue for is one of the main reason why T has gone to shit

They'd lose out more moving it to a non camping festival at Glasgow Green than keep plugging away at the festival at Strath Castle. 

The numbers will have decreased in recent years but no where near as much as they would if it became a day festival. You seriously think younger people would come to a day festival and pay extortionate prices for booze in the site? They'd rather camp

54 minutes ago, hamishrankin said:

They'd lose out more moving it to a non camping festival at Glasgow Green than keep plugging away at the festival at Strath Castle. 

The numbers will have decreased in recent years but no where near as much as they would if it became a day festival. You seriously think younger people would come to a day festival and pay extortionate prices for booze in the site? They'd rather camp

Strathallan is the problem that and Dj's playing the mainstage.

15 hours ago, hamishrankin said:

Taking away camping in my opinion would not help, the majority of young punters go along to get pissed in the campsite and the music comes as a nice addition, taking away camping would severely reduce the demand from the younger punters. 

From one angle you're definitely right.

But from another the campsite has got out of control to the extent of putting some off from attending, and an embedded culture of going nuts is hard to reverse.

I dont know if this has been discussed and already dismissed here but the only things that would make me attend TITP this year coming is Radiohead or Arcade Fire (already ruled out).

Anything on the radiohead front? Hoping they get announced for Pukkelpop which is easily the best large festival ive ever went to by far but really unlikely as at RW so holding out for T. 

Would prop up ticket sales but the army of 16-30 year old eckied bams which is T's target market apparently wouldn't really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, devilman said:

Oh I don't know, about 5 years of decent music should do it. It worked the other way to get us here :)

You personally might go back, but how many of the same mates you used to go with also would? Surely you've all grown up and got grown up lives, where getting a pass off the missus for an expensive weekend at a festie isn't necessarily going to be top of everyone's list?

If T were to alter who it books to be more to your liking it still wouldn't be like it used to be, because the focus would still be towards satisfying today's youngsters rather than you. Anything else wouldn't make much sense as a long term thing.

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

From one angle you're definitely right.

But from another the campsite has got out of control to the extent of putting some off from attending, and an embedded culture of going nuts is hard to reverse.

Think this is spot on. How many people didn't see the videos from the campsite this year.

I only walked through it but it was edgy by early afternoon. Not like it used to be.

If you can't reverse it then reinvent it. In fairness it's maybe not ALL T's fault. Different times although I agree with folk saying the musical direction hasn't helped.

Would be interesting to know what the % of ticket sales was for day tickets this year. With numbers way down on what they used to get its maybe just not worth the hassle.

Fingers crossed Wickerman is back next year. 

I think someone posted on here it was about 25-30,000 people per day this year. The DJ/Pop act direction I think was less to do with appealing to younger people and maybe more of a way to save money after the loss of sharing their line up with Oxygen in 2011 (its probably no coincidence that was their last great line up). I've probably said it before but maybe an idea would be to hold the festival a week later next year and share their bill with Longitude.  

Went to T this year for my first festival and despite all the negative stuff said about it I didn't think it was as bad as what it's been made out to be,then again I only have a day at Leeds to compare it to but still didn't see a massive difference in the two!

This year I'm swaying towards Mad Cool in Madrid,Green Day and Foos are my 2 favourite bands of all time so both of them at the same festival is a god send.Not sure how this sets up either of those for T this year as I know both are pretty much a strong favourite to be a headliner...am I right in thinking Mad Cool could clash with T this year (Second week of July)?That's if T is even on this year...

On 08/11/2016 at 10:23 AM, eFestivals said:

erm ... Festival Republic, not DF.

Management of the festival got transferred to FR for the last festival, presumably to use Melvin's experience to help lessen the issues with the site.

I'm guessing that Melvin is going to keep that oversight, tho whether it goes as far as booking policy I'm not entirely sure. His success at 'modernising' Reading/Leeds certainly looks like something T could use tho.

If they actually transferred the management of the festival over to FR they done so very discretely. I know Melvin Benn came on board last year as Executive Producer, but i think the festival is still ran by DF with Melvin Benn just working for them. Of course i could be wrong, but i couldn't find anything online to suggest that FR were in control of the festival now.

8 hours ago, MJ171717 said:

Went to T this year for my first festival and despite all the negative stuff said about it I didn't think it was as bad as what it's been made out to be,then again I only have a day at Leeds to compare it to but still didn't see a massive difference in the two!

there's a bit of a hate thing going on with T. ;)

It might not be perfect, but it's the biggest and best Scotland has. I think it's a shame some seem so determined to destroy it, and i'm not meaning the smash-it-up (or whatever) types that attend.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

It might not be perfect, but it's the biggest and best Scotland has. I think it's a shame some seem so determined to destroy it, and i'm not meaning the smash-it-up (or whatever) types that attend.

Have you attended T in the past couple of years? I don't really blame the booking policy i just blame the effect social media etc is taking on teens which is totally changing the attitude towards a decent party. its obviously good for them. just a cause of too much member berries for me.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Neil, said it before but I don't think anyone has a hate or desire to see it fail.  People like me and devilman have been pretty regular attendees over the years and have stopped going.  Generally what we post is an explanation as to why we've stopped going.  For me, I'm not in their target age range and accept that, but if line up had some appeal I'd maybe go.

For me, the biggest mistake T have made is moving to the current location.  Just doesn't seem to work and the campsite now has a reputation that puts a lot of people off.  I stayed off site every year at T but that seems to be almost impossible now.  

In Scotland these days, it's seen as a weekend away on the piss for school leavers who would rather spend the weekend in the campsite than actually watch the music.  For me the bands on the line up are the important thing, whereas that doesn't seem to be the case with T now.

I have no desire to see it die, but honestly Geoff Ellis and his team are totally at fault for its demise.  They are the ones in charge of the strategy. 

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

If they actually transferred the management of the festival over to FR they done so very discretely. I know Melvin Benn came on board last year as Executive Producer, but i think the festival is still ran by DF with Melvin Benn just working for them. Of course i could be wrong, but i couldn't find anything online to suggest that FR were in control of the festival now.

It was FR production team that was involved right from the build, they also use APL Events as they have done for years. There was very little DF involvement in the production/site management side of things. Thimk DF mainly deal with the artist, booking and press related matters.
Might be wrong, but that's the impression I got, similar to Download last year where it has moved from LN management to FR management (even though they are in part the same company) 

So is it actually a fact this isn't going ahead next year or is it just an assumption? I've had some of my best times at T and think it's a cracking fest, although I've not been to the new site I like they've got the mixture of rock, pop, dance etc. If it goes ahead who are the rumours? 

Edited by foolee

7 hours ago, foolee said:

So is it actually a fact this isn't going ahead next year or is it just an assumption? I've had some of my best times at T and think it's a cracking fest, although I've not been to the new site I like they've got the mixture of rock, pop, dance etc. If it goes ahead who are the rumours? 

Scott phoned FR (anonymously) two weeks ago and asked because we were thinking the same, and person on phone went off and asked someone, and then came back and gave a definite yes.

While it's not beyond a promoter to keep its options open and so we might have got a reply based on that, I think it's probably going ahead.