Your Best Ever,Worst Ever.Surprisingly Good, Most Dissapointing

Uh-Oh!

29 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

That's weird, 2015 was the first time I'd seen The Cribs live and I really enjoyed it. I suppose a lot of it is about your expectations going in. 

I'd seen them a few times in a lot smaller venues and they've been awesome but it could of just been were I was standing but the sound was dreadful

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Ever: Suede, 2015, John Peel

Worst: Cooper Temple Clause, 2003, Other. These days I'd have walked away but it was my first festival, I didn't have a mobile and was waiting for MrP&P to come back from getting something to eat so I had to stay put. They were shit. 

Most Surprising: Portishead, 2013, Other - I knew they'd be good. I didn't know they'd be *that* good

Most Disappointing: Killers, 2007, Pyramid - they were probably great, but the sound was so shockingly bad that I might as well have listened on the radio with ear muffs on

Good thread this, really got me thinking.

Best: No contest, Ladies and Gentlemen... The Rolling Stones! Just incredible.

Worst: Difficult because you hear a lot of shite but that's mainly down to personal taste. Sure that noise coming out of that tent is appalling beyond belief but look at all the people loving it. So I'll go for someone I endured while waiting for another act but couldn't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to listen to that shite. Dull, monotonous music with a dreary performance... it's Lana Del Rey.

Surprisingly good: Another tough one as you so often come across something you've never heard before (and probably since) that blows you away. I don't tend to go and watch something I'm expecting to be not to my taste so I'll go for someone i watched because i was too lazy to move and thought they might be ok. Thinking back to 2011, I wasn't expecting much from Elbow but just loved them. I owned none of their stuff back then but soon rectified that when I got home.

Disappointing: Paul Simon. Comes on moaning he had a sore throat after we'd been knee deep in shite since Wednesday and it was downhill from there. He played some fine tunes, I was expecting solo stuff and that's what we got, so it wasn't the lack of S&G songs but there was no spark.

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Best: No contest, Ladies and Gentlemen... The Rolling Stones! Just incredible.

Best Ever: Gimme Shelter - or maybe Midnight Rambler

Worst: Realising that it was all downhill headliner-wise from that point on.

Most Surprising:  Miss You eventually turning into the jam of the weekend

Disappointing:  Bill Wyman not wandering on 

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was holding out for Bowie appearing for Dancing In The Street.

Just kidding.  I love them both but that was dreadful :)

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Midnight Rambler was quite possibly the greatest thing ever.

Best - Arcade Fire 2014

Worst - Kasabian 2014, just a repeat of the previous time I saw them, used to be good but standard dropped massively after their 3rd album but on record and live. 

Most Surprising - M83 this year, totally blown away and thought it would be ok but was amazing

Most Disappointing - Close call between Arctic Monkeys 2013 and The Who 2015

I've been in '14, '15, and '16.

Best - Jamie T 2015 - One of my favourite artists, and it was amazing.

Worst - Kanye West 2015 - I was really looking forward to it. I only got into My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy because he got announced for Glastonbury, and was stunned by how good the album was. But the performance was so boring, amateur, embarrassing, self-indulgent and shoddy, unfortunately.

Most Surprising - Florence And The Machine 2015 - Maybe its cos I was right at the front, but I had such a fantastic time up there.

Most Disappointing - Kanye West 2015

Edited by Little Andy

Best: Battles 2008.  If you were there, you'll understand.  A cracking band, who unfortunately no longer exist since they became a three piece.  Battles are now merely good, but back then they were immense and incredible.

Honourable mentions: John Grant (2014), The Zutons(2005), Africa Express (2007), Blur (1998), Primal Scream (1997), LCD Soundsystem (2016) and Underworld (2016)

Worst: Shakin' Stevens: 2008.  He seemed to think he wasn't a novelty act, so mainly played his new album and missed out two of his hits, of which there aren't actually that many.  Tosser.

Dishonourable mentions: Bob Dylan (1998), 10 mins of Bruce Springsteen (2009).  Other than those, I don't stick around when bands are shit long enough to remember.

Surprisingly Good: Dizzee Rascal 2008.  I wouldn't say I was dragged along, but it wasn't my idea to go and see him.  He was ace, just a turntable ,a backing singer/rapper + bags of charisma and genuine menace.  Next week he had his first number one and it was only a matter of times until he was chasing "whatever sells"

Honourable mentions: Rufus Wainwright (2008), Black Eyed Peas (2004), Elbow (2014), Bjork (2007) 

Disappointing: Paul McCartney 2004.  He wasn't bad, but I really don't like his solo stuff and the amount of effort put into reproducing those Beatles records was frankly pitiful.  It's not as if he did new arrangements, just played horn parts with a cheap keyboard patch.  Plus he's the most insincere front man ever.  Those songs deserved better.

Dishonourable mentions: Nobody was as disappointing as Paul.

Gawd knows why 2008 sticks out so much.  Maybe I was more into music then or just had worse mood swings, who knows? 

Best: Stevie Wonder Glastonbury 2010. 2010 was an amazing year for me, first time I arrived on Wednesday, incredible weather and a great feel good vibe all weekend. Stevie Wonder was the perfect way to close it. He was magnificent.

Worst: Bruce Springsteen 2009. I was bored out of my mind watching him, I kept on nagging my dad to go see Jarvis Cocker on John Peel but my dad didn't want me to go on my own so I stayed put. It was just so boring.

Most Surprising: Underworld 2016. I went along not thinking it'd be great tunes anything too special but I was wrong. An hour and a half of pure euphoria.

Biggest Disappointment: Tame Impala 2011. Caught them on The Park stage cause I was a fan but left after two songs because they seemed disinterested. Glad to see they turned a new leaf on their performances though.

Best: LCD Soundsystem 2016. Nothing even comes close to this and I thought some sets I've seen in the last 2 years were almost perfect.

Worst: Belle and Sebastian 2015. I hung around at the other between Future Islands and Jamie T so caught these last year and it was incredibly dull.

Most surprisingly good: Alabama Shakes 2015. Went along not really expecting much but thought they were outstanding.

Most disappointing: Chemical Brothers 2015. For me it was just like listening to the records, didn't understand the live aspect. Left after about half an hour cos I was bored, really like their music too but just didn't get it at all.