Your Best Ever,Worst Ever.Surprisingly Good, Most Dissapointing

Uh-Oh!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best - Jamie xx, Park stage, 2015 - First time seeing him and had fallen deeply in love with the album. I got separated from my main group but was with a mate from work who we'd met up with earlier in the day. Was a bit gutted to be separated from the group as me and my best mate had been looking forward to this set for a long time, but I couldn't find or reach him. Anyway, amazing sunset behind the stage that felt perfect with the music, and I thought the set was ace. Then my work mates decided to go off elsewhere and suggested I came with them. I didn't want to leave so went on a mission mid set to find my group, thankfully I managed to get through on the phone as I got to the edge of the crowd and then I found my mates just as the first few beats of Gosh were played.. we were v happy to say the least ;) - I've watched this set back many times since, gives me goosebumps.

Worst - Ed Sheeran, 2014 - Was outvoted by my group (2 people's must see, apparently!) I really didn't want to see him. If it happened now I would definitely wander off alone. But it was my first Glasto and I was a little worse for wear so was probably best not to wander too far. Will be nowhere near if he plays in 2017.

Surprisingly good - Father John Misty, Park Stage, 2015 - One of my mates must sees. I had listened to a few tracks before the festival, on his advice, but it didn't really click. I ended up loving the set and falling in love with the album after the festival. I listen to a lot of new music so it was odd that FJM had passed me by to that point. But that being said, it's very rare for me to discover and enjoy an act live for the first time, so it sticks in my mind.

Most disappointing - Kanye West - I was too drunk to realise at the time just how bad it was, but wish I had been somewhere else. 

Edited by DropBeat

Best: Arctic Monkeys 2013.           (Special mention: Lionel Richie into Alt-J 2015) (Extra special mention: QOTSA 2013)

Worst: Dizzee Rascal 2013 - I was waiting for Arctic's. He was arguably the worst thing I have ever seen on a stage. Actually laughable.                         (Special mention: The Charlatans 2015. Took a stroll down to watch. What the fuck was that?)

Surprising: La Roux 2015.             (Special Mention: Elbow 2011)

Disappointing: The Cribs 2015. Was probably just the setlist. It wasn't shit, just disappointing.

14 hours ago, donkeykong said:

Best - Blur, 2009. Incredible. Honourable mention to Arcade Fire 2014

Surprisingly Good - Father John Misty, 2015. I liked his latest record but he was far more engaging than expected, with a great voice

Disappointing - Probably Elbow 2014. I still enjoyed it but not enough songs from their first three albums

Worst - Had the misfortune of walking past Deadmaus a few times in 2015. Wow. 

I was camped on Dairy Ground, walking back from Suede at John Peel (earlier than I'd have liked, mate of mine being a pecker), and I heard a large proportion of this Deadmau5. Wow indeed. I actually don't know what more to say about how shit he is.

On 14/07/2016 at 3:58 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Disappointing: Paul McCartney 2004.  He wasn't bad, but I really don't like his solo stuff and the amount of effort put into reproducing those Beatles records was frankly pitiful.  It's not as if he did new arrangements, just played horn parts with a cheap keyboard patch.  Plus he's the most insincere front man ever.  Those songs deserved better.

Dishonourable mentions: Nobody was as disappointing as Paul.

tumblr_inline_mi46gekJ3y1qz4rgp.gif

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep.  Those are very good records.  A cheap casio keyboard does not a horn section make.  And his solo work, urgh.

As you know Stu, the UK voted for Brexit, theres no accounting for taste.

;)

On a technical level the players in his current band are an easy match for the skills of the original band members - in a couple of cases, miles better.

As for his solo stuff, its patchy sure, but his best solo stuff is fantastic.

21 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

"This has gotta be the worst one." @Mardy to me at about 5pm on the Sunday.

We're with you Woffman. 2016 was a mess.

Weather was bad enough in itself, but the group (in its newer, enlarged form) was - collectively, not individually - not one I found conducive to having a good time. 

Went pretty much solo. Been solo many times, but feeling like you *have* to, to salvage a good time ain't great. And then being 'judged' for it sucked arse. 

Plus i fucking organise everything every year.

T-Day permitting, I'll go proper solo in '17. 

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Still loved every minute of it. Was a mess but adapted - didn't walk as far and got trollied.

This was 2016's survival mantra. 

Also, Clashfuckular Friday. WTAF was that about?!

Have only been in 2015 after failing for this year and 2014 so a very very limited pool:

Best: Chemical Brothers - Mates and I literally flipped a coin to decide between them and The Who - best coin toss I've ever been involved in. Getting to see Jamie T beforehand was an added bonus as well. All in all the perfect finale to my first Glastonbury.

Worst: The Charlatans - Didnt really see many bad acts during the weekend and this one sticks out as the most bored moment of the weekend.

Surprisingly Good: Jamie xx / Everything Everything - Both acts that I wanted to see but wasnt expecting the quality that occured. As has been discussed Jamie xx was at the most perfect time and was a real feel good moment. Everything Everything impressed so much on Other that we went to see them in Williams Green - and wow that was bloody emotional in there.

Disappointing: Kanye - Wasnt too surprised but just didnt reach the heights that I thought he were possible of (pun intended).

Heres hoping to add to this list some more

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

"This has gotta be the worst one." @Mardy to me at about 5pm on the Sunday.

We're with you Woffman. 2016 was a mess.

I tell you what, the weather was abysmal, I saw hardly any bands and there were various family complications, but the only thing that saved this year was the company. A weekend boozing while sheltering from the rain with Wooderson, Nal and various other mates etc is always going to be tremendous fun. But I needn't have gone to Glastonbury to do that.

24 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I tell you what, the weather was abysmal, I saw hardly any bands and there were various family complications, but the only thing that saved this year was the company. A weekend boozing while sheltering from the rain with Wooderson, Nal and various other mates etc is always going to be tremendous fun. But I needn't have gone to Glastonbury to do that.

Agreed. Next year easier pal. No kids for us. 

It has definitely taken longer than usual for me to get my enthsiasm back for GF after this year. Mixture of weather, crew and some really horrible personal shit the day after which tainted the whole festival (Mrs Jass thought she was pregnant but we found out the day after we got back that she had miscarried some time before). Honestly wasn't sure I was going to bother for next year, but then T-Day looms into view and here I am again.

I like this game

Best: Neil Young - anyone who argues otherwise is deluded

Worst:  KT Tunstall - I was only there because some twat took my phone and it ended up at the farm.

Surprisingly Good: The Smiths 1984 - changed my world.

Most Disappointing: I can honestly say I've never been truly, fully, disappointed at Glastonbury, not even once. Amongst the like minded disappointment is hard to find.

Best - Paolo Nutini, Other Stage, 2014. Never known a crowd so intensely into a gig before or since

Worst - Drenge, William's Green, 2015. Bad combination of dull music, lacklustre crowd waiting for Wolf Alice and bad acoustics in the tent, just a bit of a racket really

Most surprising - Dolly, for the roar when Jolene started up if nothing else 

Most disappointing - Marcos Valle, West Holts, 2015. Not his fault by any means but that kind of music needs sunshine and a big crowd, instead it got driving rain and a crowd of 50 people tops

Best - hands down The Rolling Stones, and they had a lot of competition for that spot, Bowie,  Chems (2000) Coldplay(this year) Neil Young to name but a few

Worst - Kanye

Most surprising- the two + hours I spent in a life drawing class in Les Artietos Bohemious  (sorry I can't spell) (also Jess Glynn this year)

MostDisappointing - Gorillaz  (IMHO a contender for worst too)