SE corner changes

Jamie D

Given that the natural flow through SL is from the East entrance down the slope opposite the Common the main pinch point will always be the narrow section between SL and Unfairground.  Without opening this out there will always be a blockage that builds up back into the area in front of what was the Hell stage.  The hexagon venues performed the function of slowing the traffic and breaking it up into a more distributed flow, easing the pressure on the pinch point.  I'm concerned that opening the space by removing the hexagons will see far more people essentially corralled into the open area unable to move freely through the bottleneck. Walk through SL on Friday at 0100 this year and ask yourself what would happen if there was a panic and a crowd stampede.....you might not go back when you realise the potential consequences.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about using the markets?  after the stalls close for the evening, it's kind of a dead space, so they could put soundsystems in them.

also, why not just head back to camp.  somebody's bound to have brought an acoustic guitar.  there's nothing quite like a late night, drunken rendition of Wonderwall, and the walk back to your tent is a lot shorter.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

how about using the markets?  after the stalls close for the evening, it's kind of a dead space, so they could put soundsystems in them.

Knackered stallholders trying to get some shuteye might not be up for it though.

42 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Given that the natural flow through SL is from the East entrance down the slope opposite the Common the main pinch point will always be the narrow section between SL and Unfairground.  Without opening this out there will always be a blockage that builds up back into the area in front of what was the Hell stage.  The hexagon venues performed the function of slowing the traffic and breaking it up into a more distributed flow, easing the pressure on the pinch point.  I'm concerned that opening the space by removing the hexagons will see far more people essentially corralled into the open area unable to move freely through the bottleneck. Walk through SL on Friday at 0100 this year and ask yourself what would happen if there was a panic and a crowd stampede.....you might not go back when you realise the potential consequences.

I got caught in what could've been a very dangerous crush trying to get in in 2015, they had stopped people entering so people were backing up maybe 20 deep and about 30 metres wide, they then opened a very narrow entrance to the very left hand side of the crowd, everybody surged forward and me and a few others got pushed against the railings, the stewards all had to try and hold the railings up to stop us falling onto them and everybody on top of us. It was only people screaming to everybody else to stop pushing that probably prevented it. It genuinely could've been very horrible and that's before we even got in there.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

38 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I got caught in what could've been a very dangerous crush trying to get in in 2015, they had stopped people entering so people were backing up maybe 20 deep and about 30 metres wide, they then opened a very narrow entrance to the very left hand side of the crowd, everybody surged forward and me and a few others got pushed against the railings, the stewards all had to try and hold the railings up to stop us falling onto them and everybody on top of us. It was only people screaming to everybody else to stop pushing that probably prevented it. It genuinely could've been very horrible and that's before we even got in there.

They need to look hard at creating emergency exits from the whole area.  I'd urge anyone with anxiety issues to stay well away when it's busy.

Having only been in 2014 and 2015, I must say I'm feeling hopeful about these changes. We found it pretty tricky to enjoy the corner, crammed in like sardines and not able to get into the venues without sitting in a queue for ages (on the Friday and Saturday at least - Sunday was much better). Perhaps we were just lacking in experience / tactics / mental faculties at the time. Certainly looking forward to giving it all another bash!

2 minutes ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

Having only been in 2014 and 2015, I must say I'm feeling hopeful about these changes. We found it pretty tricky to enjoy the corner, crammed in like sardines and not able to get into the venues without sitting in a queue for ages (on the Friday and Saturday at least - Sunday was much better). Perhaps we were just lacking in experience / tactics / mental faculties at the time. Certainly looking forward to giving it all another bash!

It was infinitely better those years than last year.

It felt even more packed last year and there were parts that almost covered your wellies in the thickest mud on site. Once you put your foot down it was a gamble whether you could pick it back up out of the glue or not. Couple this with a thick crowd and I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of broken legs over the weekend. Horrific stuff

26 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

It felt even more packed last year and there were parts that almost covered your wellies in the thickest mud on site. Once you put your foot down it was a gamble whether you could pick it back up out of the glue or not. Couple this with a thick crowd and I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of broken legs over the weekend. Horrific stuff

There is one thing that is guaranteed to improve the experience and is also happening this year - no mud.

4 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Also, the security in charge were new last year, apparently. Speaking to those running The Unfairground, they were not happy with them at all. 

4 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

i definitely saw someone break their ankle / leg. i never went back to shangri -la. made me sad for her that her whole weekend was ruined.

On 01/05/2017 at 10:58 AM, zahidf said:

Is the SE corner open weds or thurs?

Bits are open on the thursday but not the main open air venues.  Its okay for a walk around.

Weds you can walk around but usually nothing is happening and a lot will be closed off.

Following on from some comments from others,  maybe the answer isn't to revolutionise the SE corner, but rather open up some of the quirkier artistic elements (without the amplified music) elsewhere.  Perhaps say a pop-up market near the circus or bellas field, or go completely off-kilter and open something up at the other end of the festival.  Admittedly they wouldnt be able to have the amplified music, but I'm sure they could do something.

I was just having a look through the 2016 clashfinder (things are getting bad when you're retrospectively clashfinding) and was reminded of when I did that before my first Glasto in 2014. I was absolutely blown away by how much was on after hours, and for how long. Really couldn't believe there was a festival in the UK that facilitated 24 hour partying, and I had missed out on it for so many years (I'm thirty-fucking-two).

Glastonbury!! Yes!!