SE corner changes

Jamie D

2 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there some kind of issue with the alleyways that I haven't picked up on? It's the impression I've been getting recently when reading this thread?

from (i think) 09-11 shangri la had alleyways, in which were micro venues, and which led to a hub a bit like the hell stage.  you didn't really know what was going to be in a micro venue until you went in.  

it's really not too dissimilar to what's been there since, plenty to explore and poke your nose into.

i'm led to believe the alleyways as they were are no more due to fire/safety restrictions as much as any thematic progression.  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

from (i think) 09-11 shangri la had alleyways, in which were micro venues, and which led to a hub a bit like the hell stage.  you didn't really know what was going to be in a micro venue until you went in.  

it's really not too dissimilar to what's been there since, plenty to explore and poke your nose into.

i'm led to believe the alleyways as they were are no more due to fire/safety restrictions as much as any thematic progression.  

Ah cheers yeti - that answers my subsequent post :)

On 22/07/2016 at 6:24 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Just heard that no only will SL be not only be a complete new concept, but it will have a new name as well. 

it's what happens each time when the current Arts Council funding block reaches its end. They have money for a new build with a new grant of money.

That's how it used to happen, anyhow, and the timing of this makes it look to be the same.

• 9 months later...

The two SL stages will be in the usual places. No change there. The two stages 'probably' going to be called TheTruth Stage  and The Lies Stage. Likely no hexagons this year due to crushes around them in previous years. Am guessing that it may be a more spread out layout with less stuff 'crammed in' so there is more space available for people to mill about. 

Should be able to update in a day or two.

(Loved the covered alleyways)

8 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

The two SL stages will be in the usual places. No change there. The two stages 'probably' going to be called TheTruth Stage  and The Lies Stage. Likely no hexagons this year due to crushes around them in previous years. Am guessing that it may be a more spread out layout with less stuff 'crammed in' so there is more space available for people to mill about. 

Ooooh - stage name changes. Truth and Lies. I like that.

"where are you going?"

"there's a band playing on Truth at 4am that I want to see!"

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Also loved the covered alleyways. One of my best memories of Glastonbury was being in an alien spaceport at 4am. The alleyways were amazing.

I can understand that they want to handle the crowds but I'd you open Shangri la all the way up it becomes like everywhere else.

No win. It was brilliant. Everyone wants to be part of it. It has to change to handle everyone. :sorry:

Edited by maclauk

17 minutes ago, Half Man Half Mattress said:

Sorry for being a bit dense but what are 'the hexagons'? Been down there a few times but usually in a kind of fear and loathing type cognitive state.

Haha..this sounds like my experience last year on the Friday. We were way too over stimulated...wondered about a bit in a state of confusion, unable to find any music, when there was literally music everywhere, and ended up having to go and sit in the dark in the mud for about half an hour to recuperate. 

Needless to say, I have no idea what the hexagons are either!

Bit of a radical idea... But considering that the fields like the Caberet in that area are pretty empty at night, would it not be possible to move an area such as the unfairground there to make more room for Shangri LA ect considering the huge popularity the night life areas have, and leave space for comedy/poetry tents to use in the day. I know it seems like a strange idea, but I'm tired of being stuck in crushes in the corner of the site when there is so much space around, especially when so many festival goers only go for the se corner.

I always enjoy the theatre and circus fields as well but I don't see why they can't move some late night stages there to create more space at night. It would also link up some night life areas of the festival a little more which are currently very scattered around.