SE corner changes

Jamie D

On 7/14/2016 at 11:28 PM, DeanoL said:

But also it is a piece of interactive experiential art. That's kinda how it was made to be done. In a weird way, it's having venues with big name acts that people want to stay in the entire evening that's made it problematic.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I sometimes wonder about whether they could keep SL as simply an interesting area to explore, with a few low-key bars, and all the amazing art installation stuff, but scale down the number venues and DJs, so it's less of a hot spot, and more a place you can stumble upon and explore.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dj matt james said:

Chatting to a local farmer yesterday everyone feels that there will be some biggish site changes next year. What where and who will be fascinating when it pans out next year. 

Very excited to find out what's going to change. The great thing about Glastonbury is changes aren't made to make more money, they're made because they love what they do and want to make it better.

10 minutes ago, Jamie D said:

Very excited to find out what's going to change. The great thing about Glastonbury is changes aren't made to make more money, they're made because they love what they do and want to make it better.

totally

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I sometimes wonder about whether they could keep SL as simply an interesting area to explore, with a few low-key bars, and all the amazing art installation stuff, but scale down the number venues and DJs, so it's less of a hot spot, and more a place you can stumble upon and explore.

I've never thought of that, I reckon that'd be a great idea

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah. for all of this condescending talk of "tourists", Shangri-La is as much art installation as anything else, nobody looks down their nose at people who walk through an art gallery, looking at all the art.

what? It's a great music venue with a message - and some bits are installations - to walk around the art gallery is to entirely miss the point.

On 13 July 2016 at 5:35 PM, DeanoL said:

Yeah Silver Hayes is mostly until 3. One option is having fewer acts on the big stages and finishing them at 11, so the other stages seem to stay open relatively later...

Heds party in the sonic tent goes on till later, some amazing djs and mcs play on some of the headphone channels some nights as well, always a good atmosphere as well 

4 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

what? It's a great music venue with a message - and some bits are installations - to walk around the art gallery is to entirely miss the point.

It's interactive art, so yes, to walkaround without engaging is to miss the point. But to drop in each venue for 10-20 minutes, experience, explore, enjoy, move on, used to be point. Having big name genre acts, the huge Hell stage and such are what it's morphed into over the past five years or so.

I'd argue picking an individual venue there, going in, and spending the entire evening there is utterly missing the point.

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's interactive art, so yes, to walkaround without engaging is to miss the point. But to drop in each venue for 10-20 minutes, experience, explore, enjoy, move on, used to be point. Having big name genre acts, the huge Hell stage and such are what it's morphed into over the past five years or so.

I'd argue picking an individual venue there, going in, and spending the entire evening there is utterly missing the point.

They're both fine. It's calling people who like to do the festival differently 'tourists' or even saying they're missing the point that gets my goat.

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sounds like I'm more pissed off than I am there. :)

No, I reckon that's exactly how pissed off you are :)

It's a tricky one for me.  I don't wander round the SE corner during the day (something I intend to rectify this year, ticket gods willing), but at night when I feel like it'll really come alive I'm put off by the crowds.  Don't mind the queue system as I think that works a treat, but it does feel like it takes a back seat.

Trying to remember when it all started changing, as I remember my first one in 2009 it seemed a lot more like a giant installation with a few music venues tacked on, whereas now it's the other way round.

20 hours ago, Skoo said:

I've had the same thoughts. The cool indoor venues are fine, but there's no need for something like the hell stage imo. Put any 'acts' on in Silver Hayes.

At my first festival in 2011 I remember walking around the SE corner during the day and night, in awe of the installations, and having no issues exploring the alleys etc, pint in hand. It was a great place to just hangout.

When I came back in 2014 it seemed like a different place. Big stages, and huge crowds stopping me from even getting into Shangri-La. Sunday night in Block 9 was all we managed, which admittedly was a great night.

the shame of it is it puts people off checking out what is actually an amazing area with some great acts.....there was people id have love to have seen on this year at various venues down that way.....but the idea of braving the utter chaos which is even getting there just puts you right off, its not worth the stress, I dont want to be stressed at Glastonbury even if it means I miss acts I want to see.....basically I think the place has far far far outgrown its area. definitly needs to be split up and the nightlife of the site rethought 

Edited by waterfalls212434

25 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

I've had the same thoughts. The cool indoor venues are fine, but there's no need for something like the hell stage imo. Put any 'acts' on in Silver Hayes.

At my first festival in 2011 I remember walking around the SE corner during the day and night, in awe of the installations, and having no issues exploring the alleys etc, pint in hand. It was a great place to just hangout.

When I came back in 2014 it seemed like a different place. Big stages, and huge crowds stopping me from even getting into Shangri-La.

There were big stages, big acts and big crowds there in 2011.

8 hours ago, Quark said:

It's a tricky one for me.  I don't wander round the SE corner during the day (something I intend to rectify this year, ticket gods willing)

I think a day time visit to Shangri-La is essential to see what it is actually all about

It's fucking fantastic, really. I love it, my favourite area of the festival. Shangri la this year was the best it's ever been, the creativity there was phenomenal. Went around it all Saturday night, it's far and away the equivalent of any headliner you care to mention. Just fucking brilliant. I'm not really into much of the music played there, but the whole area is so stimulating and jaw dropping.

21 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They should build one giant alleyway across the whole site, 50 yards wide and 5km long.

I'd like to see all of the alleyway enthusiasts complain then!

if it happened I would be first to complain there are too m,any alley ways

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Everyone always says "bring back the alleyways." Calgon is just mocking that in his own inimitable fashion. Just like when he says every band should headline the park etc etc.

Ah fair enough - was trying to work out if there was a genuine dislike for them! :)

I've only been going since 2013 so haven't experienced them. The SE corner as it stands is a fantastic area (only gripe is how busy it gets), however having seen pics and videos of the 'alleyways' both before I started going and since, they do look really cool. Gutted to have not experienced them so would love to see them back. Unless the reasons why they were removed prevents that from being a possibility!